Got my NEW PentagonLight L2 HA today....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love it. I especially love the clickie tailcap. Nice white tint, beautiful tight hotspot, NO donut holes and the sidespill is perfect. There has been some talk about how the Penty L2 is only about 50 lumens and not the 65 lumens its rated at. So I put new batteries in my G2 which has a fairly new lamp in it and did a wall test. The L2 is CLEARLY at LEAST as bright as the P60 in the G2. So either the L2 is indeed 65 lumens or the SF P60 LAs' are NOT actually 65 lumens. I don't think thats the case.

I also am certainly NOT knocking Surefire - no way. As a matter of fact I have a new 9P on the way from Lighthound - couldn't resist the price! ;) With how much Surefire LEDs' cost I'd have to say that the Penty L2 is a better deal. I'm gonna test it for the next month and if it holds up well, I'll be getting one for my dad for Christmas.

Sorry for not having beamshots, but I just got home from work and am beat. Maybe tommorrow....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
you've got to take into consideration the brighness and size of spill when comparing the two lights.

-David

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, the L2 has slightly brighter sidespill than the G2. But somehow no matter how much I look at the beams, the L2 seems to be at least as bright..

lamperich

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Sorry for not having beamshots,

You can measure the diameter @1meter for example on a wall.
Than we can imagine how it will look like.

glad to hear you got a great tint.

KDOG3 said:
True, the L2 has slightly brighter sidespill than the G2. But somehow no matter how much I look at the beams, the L2 seems to be at least as bright..

also at tragets at ~10 meter distance
How would you describe the color rendering(grass vs mud or a tree/hedge) when you compare it directly with the Xenon bulb?

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color rendition is very good. I don't know if its just me or the lights but a nice bright incan Xenon seems to still be just an itty-bit better in that area.....

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get an idea of the relative output, you should do a ceiling bounce test and see how well it indirectly lights up the objects in a dark room. This test isn't perfect, but it does go a long way to average out differences in beam pattern so that you can compare the outputs of two flashlights. (Non-glossy white ceilings are best.)

How is the throw of your PL-L2 compared to other common incan or LED flashlights? Mine is only a little better than the E2L. I don't consider it to be underperforming, because its total output is equal to the other good LuxIII flashlights that I own, such as the Pelican M6 3W and my TW0K-upgraded BugOutGear module. My PentagonLight also has a great warm-white Luxeon tint. But it's only a modest thrower. I'll probably end up selling it and keeping the Pelican.

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
asdalton,
I have a quick question for you.
I am actually trying to decide whether to buy the pelican M6 3W or the pentagon L2. It looks like you like the pelican better?
Could you elaborate a little?

KEW

Newly Enlightened
I know you didn't ask my opinion on the subject but that has never stopped me before. I own both lights and I must say you absolutely can not go wrong with either one of them. They have to be the two top contenders of the 3 watt in that price range. I have seen both of them on the net at one point for under $60 each. I guess it would come down to personal preference on the lights, and the Pelica HA III is about $10 cheaper than the PL-2 HA III. So other than the allure of each light, Customer Service would be about the only other consideration that I can think of and again it is a toss up. I have had great luck with the nice people in Torrance, but the folks in Burlingame stand behind their products as well. Personally, I would save myself the headache and buy one of each.