Clash of the collectibles

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I've slowly gotten closer to acquiring all 'necessary' practical lights and am inching towards rare custom lights already. (somebody stop me now)

I have not reached the stage yet that I have to pick up 1 of each like Orb Raw, KI, old ARCs, Mr Bulk stuff etc...

I am probably gonna start off with ONE very nice custom light, but am now not really sure what to get. I'm a throw-guy and any spill is also a bonus, so I'm tending towards these lights :-

Aleph 3 with a 2 cell body
ARCMania Super Flashlight III+
Lioncub + Lionhead

1) Which one throws further?
2) Which one has more light output?
3) Which light would you get and why? (I can't get all, seriously :p And it's also good to save some funds for advancing technology!)

I'm also quite impressed by some of the custom mods where 3-4 lux's are crammed into a Mag or Aleph and are sometimes sold cheaper than the above lights. Should I wait for one of those? (They would be more of flooders though)

Arrghh... decisions decisions... as it is, my funds will be majorly depleted if my 24w groupbuy goes through... *gulp*

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any help from the top stratosphere of "beyond-redemption flashaholics" for an "intermediate-addict flashaholic" like me?

Looks like the newbies get a whole lot more suggestions! :D (Of course, I understand there are much fewer custom-light owners around... esp. those who own all 3 to make a comparison!) But who is the brave soul who will step up and help?

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're after throw or lumens or anything like that, buy something sensible like a stock Magcharger. These high end lights are connoisseur pieces; stuff like lux output is relevant but secondary, like the 0-60 time of a Rolls Royce. Of the lights you list I'm not sure of the exact characteristics of the Super flashlight and I've never been that excited by the Lion series (though there are other Mr. Bulk lights that I'm a big fan of). That leaves the Aleph and I'd go for the 45mm head configuration.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi paulr, thanks for the comments.

Well, some ppl wanna go from 0-60 in 4 secs in a Ferrari 360 CS while some prefer to do it in a Mit. Evo VIII FQ 400.

I guess my post didn't really reflect that I appreciate the 'fineness' and quality of custom pieces and since I'm forking out so much, I would rather they be powerful as well. I am likely to use them and not leave them as shelf queens. :)

It's true that their output is secondary, but I would say minimally so, because once there are $50 200 lumen Lux lights in the same size, there is definitely gonna be some effect on the custom market.

Since I'm on that topic, what is the ease and availability of upgradeability of these lights? From my limited knowledge, I think the Lioncub is the easiest to upgrade?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You are presenting so radically different lights that it is really hard to do a somewhat valid comparison. It might be better to think about what you want (--> brightness, runtime, power source, beam pattern, throw, luminous flux, interface, size, modularity, ...) before making a choice?

A feeble attempt to answer the questions:

1) I don't know, this will mostly depend on the drive current chosen for the Aleph3
2) same as 1)
3) If I were to choose one high-class custom ... it would be the McLuxIII-PD. But that is just me and your "needs" :D could be radically different.

The LC is the cheapest to upgrade since you can just desolder the star and remove it from the paste with which it is held down and solder a new one there. The easiest upgrade is the Aleph since you just screw in another LE (either more advanced or just different --> modularity!), but it is more cost intensive since you'd have to pay for the driver and LE in addition to the cost of the LED itself. I don't think the SFIII is upgradable, but I have never touched one, so I don't know.

bernie

LowWorm

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
3) If I were to choose one high-class custom ... it would be the McLuxIII-PD. But that is just me and your "needs" :D could be radically different.

Mmmm...McLuxIII-PD...I second that light on reputation alone! I don't thing I've ever heard a negative thing about the quality of that light's beam or Don's workmanship on it.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
You are presenting so radically different lights that it is really hard to do a somewhat valid comparison. It might be better to think about what you want (--> brightness, runtime, power source, beam pattern, throw, luminous flux, interface, size, modularity, ...) before making a choice?

bernie

Thanks Kiessling! It's not a feeble attempt at all...

Well, if you noticed, I'm looking for a 'biggish' reflector type light in addition to it being a collector's piece, so I narrowed it down to these few. Of course in terms of character, these pieces are very different.

The McLuxIII PD does indeed look like a great acquisition, but that will probably have to wait for my "Clash of the Collectibles II" thread :crackup:, where I revisit getting a collectible just for the bling factor primarily :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Doesn't the SFIII have an optic in it? IIRC?

Another "big reflector" custom brute would be the HD45 ... while it lacks a bit in the "style" and "bells and whistles" department it is a brutal performer:

HD45small.jpg

Another "wow-factor" light is the Orb Raw ... completely different direction, but quite a few people around here like it for the sheer lumen/size ratio.

Upcoming hot custom light: the SPY005 and the Indium Smart (if you want to consider this one a custom at all) ... not big reflectors, but certainly wow-factor lights ... :eek:oo:

bernie

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
Doesn't the SFIII have an optic in it? IIRC?

Hey bernie, Yup, indeed it does! I used the term 'reflector' loosely... my bad :D

Your suggestions are very nice!! Will look into them... :naughty:

* Added : Ok Bernie, saw your FAQ on the HD45.. it's a real workhorse! But I don't think they are that easily available? It seems the Aleph3 still throws further from what I've gathered.

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound like you are looking in the category of big reflector lights.

I get very excited when I use my Surefire 9P (6P with an A19 extension) light that has the Surefire Turbo Head, a buck converter and a Lux V, XX1S, emitter. The light has a powerful spot beam and a rich spill beam to make me feel warm, comfortable and secure.

Of course a light like this is not an off the shelf light; you would have to do low grade assembly that is as easy as changing a bulb. The completed light is actually very basic and is not cheap.

I've had friends use the light and it never fails that when I get it back the user puts the light in the, "Whoa!" category. The beam does punch a hole in the night and also easily lights my front yard. For a light with a single LED emitter that is not bad at all.

LED lights are wimps compared to other lights. Where other lights can use brute force to throw lots of lumens the LED has to rely on efficient use of lumens. A decently designed reflector or optic and a focused emitter is a must to get the most out of an LED light.

sf9pluxvsside6vv.jpg

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trueblue, that looks really wicked!!

A LuxV in a SF Turbohead.... those collimated lumens must be a real monster! VERY NICE!! Is it that easy to do? Any soldering and stuff involved?

I'm really bad at DIY, esp. electronic parts.

So does your baby throw like well over 150m? (estimated) You own a Super Flashlight III too right? How does this compare in terms out output/throw?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh....I cheated. :laughing: CPF member ARC mania made the module for me. I simply dropped in the module into the Turbo Head. I didn't even have to take out the N1 incandescent lamp. This was a 30 second mod. It is one of the best.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
wallyrulz said:
If throw is what you seek, the lioncub with lionhead will blow your doors off. . . and that's just at level 4.

Hmm the thing is, people have different kinds of doors.
I read that the lionhead throws easily 40-50 yards (that's excellent for a light that small), but I'm reading that the Aleph3 throws the furthest.

My KL3 gen 2 is suppose to be a throw 'monster' (but its only a baby monster) and throws *only* 50 odd metres.

I'm looking at something very well collimated (spillbeam is secondary) that will throw 100+ to 100s of metres in the dark in a reasonably small form factor (mebe I'll just get an m4 or m6).

So I'll just keep looking it up or maybe take the plunge and buy something or maybe do one of 'em mag mods as suggested. A USL or ROP :p

kukula

Enlightened
wallyrulz said:
If throw is what you seek, the lioncub with lionhead will blow your doors off. . . and that's just at level 4.

I second wallyrulz. Go get a LionCub and LionHead and you wont be disappointed. 40/50 yards with the LionHead is easy with this light. I dont think you can find a light this small that can perform this good. While youre at it, better go get the 168a body too! Now you have a throw monster that will last a long long time :naughty:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello LEDcandle,

Your hope for 100+ meters may be a bit optimistic. Looking at Doug's (Quickbeam) throw chart, those that throw over 100 meters are all incandescents.

I have a real hot Aleph 3 and it is only good to about 81 meters, and my custom HD45 is only good to about 76 meters.

I might also mention that if you go with an Aleph 3 or the HD45, they won't remain "collectibles" for long. They are just too much fun to use. I predict that they would see very little shelf time... :)

Tom

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tom,

I guess I should be looking at modded Mags and SF Turbohead or M3T/M4/M6 then :) Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I have every intention to use them if I get 'em :D