my Fenix 1LP is gouged

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been part of this forum very long but I've already been talked into buying a couple of lights, a streamlight TL-3, (which I haven't recieved yet) and a fenix 1LP that I got via 4sevens(thank you). A very nice light. It seems to be slightly brighter than my 3AAA dorcy metalgear out in the real world. But on my first trek in the early morning hours, I dropped it from about chest high onto the road. Though it still works just fine, it sure put a big chip in it, at least it looks big to me. I was a bit surprised. I thought these were able to take a drop such as that without gouging into the aluminum. Was I expecting too much in the durability department?

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Hard anodizing is known to chip more easily than other finishes. The fenix l1p is not anodized to mil spec, so it isnt as thick as other HAIII.

HA is good against scratches, but not gouges, or impact.

As far as durability goes, just try to think of it like the light didnt break, and is still in good working condition. that may, hopefully, make you a bit happier.

Hopefully, in some time, you will appreciate the battle marks on your l1p, and rather have the marks on your light than a new one (and not having to "baby" the light anymore).

Than just hope you dont loose it (seems a lot of people are loosing the green stuff in their wallet, around here).

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
Well,...there you go then. I just didn't fully understand the HA stuff fully I guess. I certainly like the light. And in a way it's kinda nice to get the first scratches out of the way so I don't feel like I have to handle it like an egg any more. This is the most I've ever spent on a flashlight but I've got a strong feeling that it's the first of many. I'm glad I found this forum. I've become the butt of a few jokes at work for carrying 3 lights on me at once so I think the hazing has begun. :) The next one for me to decide on is a 1AAA. I think that the research and shopping are almost as much fun as the using, sometimes more maybe.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, welcome to CPF!

Why don't you stay awhile and enjoy the fun!!!!!!

Good HA3 should not really chip badly from that kind of drop. Try dropping a surefire, arc or HDS from that height and you will find that in most cases, all that (should) happen will be a chink or scratch, but not a chip.

The HA3 on the fenix is not as good (thick) as the aforementioned lights.

But at least your light has character marks now and you can thrash it around without feeling guilty!

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf jimmy and hold on to your wallet...

how a light reacts to chipping has more to do with how far you dropped your light and on what surfaces.

does design of light offer fragile edges to deform upon impact?

Yes hard anodizing does tuffen up you light, but will not prevent aluminum underneath HA from crushing. mil spec HA will typically be 3-4 mill thick with 1-2 mills penatration into sub-surface.

a good quality blade (59 rockwell) will bounce off mil spec HA (67 rockwell). stay away from edges when doing scratch test. choose area not visible first.

so yes if you carry your mil spec HA light you will still get little nicks. mostly on sharp edges, anodic film will be thinner there.

Arc and Surefire set HA standards for everyone to follow. Lots of us have carried an Arc AAA in our pockets with little damage to HA. but look out for damge to items in you pocket :D

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gouged my L1P within an hour of receiving it in the mail. I forced it into my bicycle helmet mount to "reform" the copper plate to fit it better. The mount was built for minimags and the Fenix is thicker so I took out my leatherman and took some of the coating off. Does not bother me, covered it with a hose clamp for secure mounting.
Yes cy, my BB500 R2H minimag has been removed from my helmet and replaced with a Fenix L1P. The BB500 R2H is going to be mounted under the boom of my recumbent to light up the street with the L1P on the helmet to point at drivers so they see me.
It would be great to have mil-spec HA-III but for the price, an amazing value.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Join the club.

I was taking my beautiful new Fenix on its first official night outing. When the time came, "excuse me while I whip this out", I managed to fumble the Fenix in the cold night air. It took a nasty spill and slide across the parking lot. Road Rash, D'oh!!!

I'm over it now, and am probably more confident about the Fenix's ability to "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' "(with apologies to Timex).

TR

cy

Flashaholic
hey benthead, have you done the two stage fenix mod yet.
easy as pie if you have a 10 ohm std resister

simply bridge the two switch contacts. changes to twisty, click for high and low

fenix two stage 2.JPG

fenix two stage.JPG

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,
No, but I did buy a second one to mess around with as I know the modders are hot on this one. Soldering a 10 ohm resistor across switch contacts is pretty simple so I'll take my switch apart tomorrow and take a look. Hopefully I can find a 10 ohm resistor laying around or on an old board.
Thanks for the tip cy, I'll sniff around and find the thread.