Concept for night vision killer

Navck

Enlightened
Somehow, Lumileds cyan Luxeons are at the exact spectrum to REALLY screw your vision up... Heres a concept for a "vision nuker"

The light would have a 20 array of 5 watt Cyan Luxeons (You heard me) in a circular arrangement (Two circles actually), in the middile would be 1 red LED (Preserve night vision for you and your attacker) + 4 others surrounding it (For brighter modes, this would be in a + pattern.) After that, 4 white LEDs surround those (To make a square shaped pattern), these would be placed in a M*G (Or close to one) sized reflector head, with a specially fitted reflector for the cyan ones.
To complete this would be a heatsink toward the entire body of the light, the light would run off 15 AA sized batterys possibly.

The concept of this would be the user would use red to "make sure" someones pupils are wide and open, and when the attacker attacks, the light operator would simply swap to a "cyan storbe" hitting the attacker with 5-20 flashes a second, effectively making him unable to see anything but that light.

Anyone think this is a good concept?

Visual concept (www.imageshack.us for hosting)

The blue = Luxeon 5 watt Cyans, thick lines = Reflectors
5 red 5mm LEDs to preserve night vision, 4 white for color, the cyan is fired in a rapid strobe to really REALLY kill night vision.

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Once upon a time, I had a Mad Max sandwich that had a Cyan LUX1 mounted in a AA MiniMag. That sucker was so bright that the reflected light off of anything white would hurt my eyes!!! I finally sold the little beast as I could never use it. Looking into the light was a no no.:eeksign:

bexteck

Enlightened
I wonder if you could use a smaller battery with some circuitry and capacitors to deliver the proper amount of power to the LED's for short periods of time. Turn it into a small carryable defense light. Any opinions?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thor 10 mcp loaded with as many Luxes as possible mounted on a metal disk
attached to the reflector, I have thought about doing this mod to my Thor

TorchMan

Enlightened
It's quite interesting. 20 Cyan Lux Vs in a head around the size of a Mag? Plus four white 5mm and a red5mm? I'm no modder, but that's a lot to ask of such a small space. Even if you mean just six of the Cyans plus the 5mms in that space, it seems cramped.

Using the one 5mm red LED to open the pupils is something I'd kinda question. Isn't it more likely that the user would be the one with the open pupils? The one on the receiving end might just be better suprised by suddenly finding out that it's got a 100w Lux Cyan strobe! The small red might draw their attention, but could put them on guard, even though it's not bright. I think it's overkill. Might be more useful for the user to navigate with, except that if you strobe someone with the Cyans...

Which brings me to another point. At close to midrange, might that much Cyan light be affecting the user adversely as well? Could similar results be achieved with much less?

Don't get me wrong, you've a neat concept there. Might wanna add having some of the Cyan run constant, for some longer range viewing capablity as well. Now, 20 of them would drain any battery supply if left on for long, me thinks, but even two to four would be potent.