Are bobcats dangerous?

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I don't believe bobcats pose much threat to adult humans. I wouldn't try to corner one and pick him up though. Something I don't believe you're likely to do and I don't believe it'll take long to turn him aloose if you were to.
Billy

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
I've also seen baldly mangled fingers from car doors and log splitters! Not to take away from the dangers of WILD animals, but alot can be said from being aware your surrondings...for all things living or not.

What do the car doors and log splitters have to do with the original post which was about a wild animal and its dangers?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
AS another aside, the interaction between humans and animals can be very harmful even if the animal isn't particularly dangerous. People run into things when a spider or garter snake are hanging on a branch. My wife pushed a limb out of her way while hiking without noticing a garter snake. When I called her back and showed her she freaked and ran away. Then I was at the hospital once when they brought in a guy who shot himself in the foot when a snake dropped into his boat. Although prepared and aware of his surroundings he simply panicked. Panic in any form is rarely helpful.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Dad always said that the hardest thing about catching a wildcat was letting him go.

I agree that they'll probably steer clear of you given the chance.

If you see one up close, there's probably something wrong. I'd back away slowly, trying to not do anything that would startle or frighten the bobcat. It could be sick or even rabid.

If they're getting food around humans in the area, they might lose some of their fear of humans and could become more unpredictable and dangerous. I wonder if they will eat cat food?

I wonder if bobcats get overly protective if their young are nearby like bears do.

Be sure the kids know to stay away from the strange kitties, even the domestic ones.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do realize that a bobcat is neither a cougar nor a sabertooth tiger, right?

yes.
what's your point?

should I be flattered you chose to read only my posts in this string?
or do you just not realize I was responding to posts other than the OP?
to wit; the reference to TEETH of the canine vs. the feline by glasstream,
and the general safety of the terain where bobcats are found, since pumas are often in the same regions as bob cats, and coyotes too.

we have rattle snakes here too, but they are also not bobcats, nor felines, as you probably know.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's your point?
That the OP was asking about bobcats, and you were taking the opportunity to spread FUD about much larger and more dangerous animals.

I missed your first post, and my comment was out of line. Though, I do think this thread has become too preoccupied with the extremely remote chance of a dangerous encounter. In the US, more that twice as many people die from lightning strikes each year than have been killed by wild cats in the past century.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the OP was interested in the safety of the great outdoors Vis a vis bobcats and I felt this opened the door to other felines, and other dangers that were most probably also out there..including lightening.

it still makes for interesting discussion. yes the chances are small, and I don't mean to scare anyone away from enjoying the the great outdoors, but I wouldn't want them to march around the golf couse holding their 9 irons up in the air during a thunderstorm either.

PS I just looked up FUD..and I disagree with your use of the term and the accusation that I "took the opportunity" to "spread it around" ; I presented nothing but the FACTS, and the best possible behavior to remain safe and secure. It's ignorance that is dangerous.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just to re-cap:
OP you're safe* walking the trails if bobcats are all there is.
Yes, bobcats are dangerous to smaller prey animals also known as dinner, but bobcats aren't a danger to an adult human walking an established trail.
And many CPF members have agreed, do not place a non-consenting wild animal near your own member.
Happy trails,
Linger

*safe = %99.9 likelyhood of returning home unharmed, accepting Murphy and all the other imponderables that we like to ponder here on the forum.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
As stated earlier, dangerous if rabid, for example. If rabid, and aggressive and they attacked, there would be no way that you could keep them off of you. You would end up a mess if you did manage to disentangle yourself from one, and maybe dead if it made it to your throat. A Bobcat can weight 30 pounds which is mostly pure muscle, and it would be a blur in motion.

Bill

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I went for a walk tonight and I am still here. Found a nice stick on the way into the woods but didn't need to unleash my can-o-whoop-*** on any rabid cats :whistle: so I think I am safe.

Thanks guys - for both the helpful posts with real information and the enjoyable posts of being attacked and viciously mangled by mountain lions. At least I am smart enough to know the difference. ;)

On a side note, got to try out my new Megallenium-B for real with a 1185 and it is a most potent and fun light. :party:

Gene43

Enlightened
I was quietly sitting on my front porch about dawn a while back. A Bobcat came out of the woods and nonchalantly walked up the driveway. He was looking the other way. When he about 15 feet from me, I said "Hey man what are you up to". He literally jumped 6-8 feet and headed back to the woods as quick as possible. The look in his eyes was one of exteme horror and surprise. I laughed out loud.:twothumbs

It made my day. I will probably never see another one that close up, unless its in a zoo.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, very sensitive to sound, like deer, if you had remained silent and calm the bob may have sat with you a bit longer.. :)

Gene43

Enlightened
yes, very sensitive to sound, like deer, if you had remained silent and calm the bob may have sat with you a bit longer.. :)

Quite possibly. But he was quite close when I spoke. I really didn't want him in my lap when he became alerted to my presence.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Popular thread here! I feel sort of late to the party but wanted to say that I see them around here every couple of weeks or so. I've never seen one act aggressively to people but they're certainly a threat to smaller pets, less than 25lbs or so. Bobcats themselves often seem fairly bold since most people aren't chasing them. I usually make it a point to frighten them off if they're out on the patio or next to a window. After chasing after them once, that particular animal will seldom come back. It's my notion that they see me as a larger, more dominate predator and take my actions as a territorial defense (just speculating though). Their primary food sources here are cottontail, ground squirrel, quail and lizards. House cat's and small poodles beware. :eek:oo: