Are your Flashlights EMP-protected?

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
An electromagnetic pulse [EMP], which could be the result of a solar flare or a nuclear weapon or an EMP weapon will destroy all electronics including our highly prized lights and thus they will not work.

You can protect your lights in what is called a Faraday Cage.

I am saving my pennies to buy a duplicate of some key lights that I can keep in my own Faraday Cage which is a Galvanized Steel trash can [with a lid!] whose inside, top and bottom [is to be] I have lined with cardboard.

No, I'm not a pessimist! But I DO want to be "prepared" in the event of one of the three aforementioned events.

I know there are other types of Faraday cages, but this one works for me best in terms of space utilization and cost-effectiveness! [My research said it must be one that is galvanized steel.]

We spend all this money on high-end lights so in my humble view I think it's worth a trip to Home Depot [or wherever] to buy a Galvanized Steel trash can with lid (inexpensive and with aforementioned cardboard) to protect our precious investments.

So yes, in the valley of darkness the flashaholic is king, but the EMP-protected flashaholic will be the ULTIMATE king!

ven

Flashaholic
Help me understand this please,i am missing something......so if all electrics are out then you would be reliant on alki cells anyway or would have no means to charge cells up in 1st place.

It seems very OTT here (no offence at all) could see if live in/on an earthquake zone for precautions as have read with a bag of equipment for survival.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
An electromagnetic pulse [EMP], which could be the result of a solar flare or a nuclear weapon or an EMP weapon will destroy all electronics including our highly prized lights and thus they will not work.

You can protect your lights in what is called a Faraday Cage.

I am saving my pennies to buy a duplicate of some key lights that I can keep in my own Faraday Cage which is a Galvanized Steel trash can [with a lid!] whose inside, top and bottom [is to be] I have lined with cardboard.

No, I'm not a pessimist! But I DO want to be "prepared" in the event of one of the three aforementioned events.

I know there are other types of Faraday cages, but this one works for me best in terms of space utilization and cost-effectiveness! [My research said it must be one that is galvanized steel.]

We spend all this money on high-end lights so in my humble view I think it's worth a trip to Home Depot [or wherever] to buy a Galvanized Steel trash can with lid (inexpensive and with aforementioned cardboard) to protect our precious investments.

So yes, in the valley of darkness the flashaholic is king, but the EMP-protected flashaholic will be the ULTIMATE king!

How much money is it worth spending on an extremely low probability event? Especially one where there's no point in your flashlights surviving if you don't. And how does a trash can and cardboard protect anything from an atom bomb? According to the movies, when the bomb goes off, we should climb inside our fridges for a short but thrilling flight. We might also consider stocking up on nitrolon-body flashlights in case some experimental aluminum-eating microogranism gets loose from the laboratory.

Bill

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this hobby,please continue just nipping out for a box of popcorn.Will stop at Maccys D,s on the way back for a happy meal and then a new Anorak is order of the day. :nana:

wrf

Newly Enlightened
How much money is it worth spending on an extremely low probability event?...

Galvanized steel garbage can w/ cardboard ==> not much $$$
Backup flashlight ==> money well spent

OP is not directing anyone to do anything, just sharing what he is doing and why.
I'm not however saying the garbage can concept works.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you are close enough to an EMP that not only destroys grid-connected electronics (think miles and miles of power lines to act as an antenna) but also happens to destroy portable electronics with comparably minuscule surfaces to intercept that EMP, you've got far larger problems - such as the low odds you survived the initial event.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are close enough to an EMP that not only destroys grid-connected electronics (think miles and miles of power lines to act as an antenna) but also happens to destroy portable electronics with comparably minuscule surfaces to intercept that EMP, you've got far larger problems - such as the low odds you survived the initial event.

And our beloved leaders and infrastructure personnel will be safely tucked up underground in a bunker and the rest of us can do one as far as they are concerned.

wrf

Newly Enlightened
If all modern day electronics fail due to some catastrophic EMP event my flashlights not working will be the least of my problems....

That is my exact thoughts.............

OP is not saying how to survive an EMP, just suggesting an idea for a flashlight's survival.
Your survival is up to you. If that doesn't require a flashlight, I respect that.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A (metal body) flashlight is almost a Faraday cage by itself. Large scale EMP events would likely be caused by an atomic bomb, if you're close enough to that to fry your flashlights, you're probably close enough to die instantly (if lucky!) or shortly after.

But anyway: why a big thing like a trash can? A cookie tin isn't big enough to stash a useful set of backup lights in? Fwiw: I'd worry about other electronics like portable radios, walkie talkies, battery chargers, AC <-> DC inverters, tablet PC, perhaps a few mobile phones etc. Remember grid / phone / internet would likely go down in such an event, so eg. a smartphone might have few uses left then.

And before that, surviving such a blast. :eek: Radiation, water, food, transportation, fuel, first aid kit, etc, etc, ...., ...., ...., flashlights. :)

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Help me understand this please,i am missing something......so if all electrics are out then you would be reliant on alki cells anyway or would have no means to charge cells up in 1st place.

It seems very OTT here (no offence at all) could see if live in/on an earthquake zone for precautions as have read with a bag of equipment for survival.

Only Almighty God is going to be able to protect me from an earthquake, so when I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to take!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
If all modern day electronics fail due to some catastrophic EMP event my flashlights not working will be the least of my problems....

By no means am I one of those "doomsday preppers" but I have tried to store [off-site] three months of non-perishable food, some water, hygiene supplies, etc. etc.

Ironically, the only thing I have yet to purchase are candles! That's because I don't like them and they induce fears in me of a fire and burning down the house.

ven

Flashaholic
OP is not saying how to survive an EMP, just suggesting an idea for a flashlight's survival.
Your survival is up to you. If that doesn't require a flashlight, I respect that.

this is true :twothumbs

My original post

;) I just see it as OTT ,i mean where does it end,may as well live in a nuclear bunker.......... if preserving a light is priority,surely communication or a way of finding it makes more sense to me,but off topic for the flashlights.

Just wonder why,because such an event ,food,water,some kind of communication,maybe cb providing some source of battery available.
Flashlight is very important,but before the 1700s or early 1800s there was no electricity...........people survived...........;)

Threat of nuclear weapons is the worry...... well for some,i dont go to bed each night worrying over something that may/may not happen.....

Only my personal view,interesting peeps different views/perspectives and i also respect those:thumbsup:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
How much money is it worth spending on an extremely low probability event? Especially one where there's no point in your flashlights surviving if you don't. And how does a trash can and cardboard protect anything from an atom bomb? According to the movies, when the bomb goes off, we should climb inside our fridges for a short but thrilling flight. We might also consider stocking up on nitrolon-body flashlights in case some experimental aluminum-eating microogranism gets loose from the laboratory.

Bill

Hi Bill, with respect, I think you misunderstand me.

1.) A false flag event it not "an extremely low probability event", if you research the history of such.

2.) I am not talking of assuming of surviving a nuclear weapon, rather, I am speaking of the electromagnetic pulse such a weapon emits far beyond the ground zero zone! My bad[ness] for not making that clear, as I presumed it would be inferred. Obviously, as has been oft stated, the living will envy the dead, as the survivors will also have to deal with interrupted food supplies, radiation, disease, etc.

3.) As for your sarcastic "how does a trashcan..." comment, if you research the various types of Faraday cages, you will see that one of the solutions I researched and described above will indeed protect any electronics. The cardboard lining all around and top to bottom is, if I recall correctly, to help said electronics withstand a vibration and protect it from something else I can't quite recall at the moment (let us know if you look it up!)

That all being said, let us all pray today and hereafter that God protects us from the human beings who would resort to such nuclear [and other weapons] evil so as to destroy life itself, if not the means of sustaining what God created: life!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread tickled me :D

Buy expensive lights and put them straight into a bin!

My personal view is that, though useful in certain situations (usually man made ones like being in a large building when the power fails, or in the underground/subway/metro), they are certainly not a survival priority:

Attitude (the will to survive)
First aid
Shelter
Water
Fire (which can provide light)
Food

If the OP is afriad of candles, then there is little hope of surviving a situation that requires a Faraday cage to protect a flashlight!

By no means am I one of those "doomsday preppers" but I have tried to store [off-site] three months of non-perishable food, some water, hygiene supplies, etc. etc.

Ironically, the only thing I have yet to purchase are candles! That's because I don't like them and they induce fears in me of a fire and burning down the house.

The best preparation of all is to learn to survive with nothing but the knowledge you carry. All possessions can be lost, so nothing is absolutely essential.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
A (metal body) flashlight is almost a Faraday cage by itself. Large scale EMP events would likely be caused by an atomic bomb, if you're close enough to that to fry your flashlights, you're probably close enough to die instantly (if lucky!) or shortly after.

But anyway: why a big thing like a trash can? A cookie tin isn't big enough to stash a useful set of backup lights in? Fwiw: I'd worry about other electronics like portable radios, walkie talkies, battery chargers, AC <-> DC inverters, tablet PC, perhaps a few mobile phones etc. Remember grid / phone / internet would likely go down in such an event, so eg. a smartphone might have few uses left then.

And before that, surviving such a blast. :eek: Radiation, water, food, transportation, fuel, first aid kit, etc, etc, ...., ...., ...., flashlights. :)

Actually, Home Depot has several sizes of Galvanized Steel trash cans [please research how they differ from your "cookie tin"] in stock and I do not use the "big thing" trash can! I use a smaller one.

Of course, I have put other electronics in there as well, but I confined my post to the investment known as flashlights because only that is forum-specific.

Yes, the grid would go down, but not our capacity to light up our night IF our lights were EMP-protected (assuming only a non-nuclear EMP knocks out our grid).

As for the either items you mention (water, food, etc.) I have most of those "covered" but obviously for a certain period of time. Nothing is forever!

You capesh?

Is the class now ready for a quiz?

ven

Flashaholic
Only Almighty God is going to be able to protect me from an earthquake, so when I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to take!

I get it now,i see no reason to post in this thread again:tinfoil:
However i sit under the lord with my
:popcorn:
And look forward to some of the replies with interest .

;) and make sure i have a:candle:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
This thread tickled me :D

Buy expensive lights and put them straight into a bin!

My personal view is that, though useful in certain situations (usually man made ones like being in a large building when the power fails, or in the underground/subway/metro), they are certainly not a survival priority:

Attitude (the will to survive)
First aid
Shelter
Water
Fire (which can provide light)
Food

If the OP is afriad of candles, then there is little hope of surviving a situation that requires a Faraday cage to protect a flashlight!

The best preparation of all is to learn to survive with nothing but the knowledge you carry. All possessions can be lost, so nothing is absolutely essential.

Let me rephrase that: I am NOT afraid of candles! I just fear what an UNattended candle COULD do!

haha

Just like we are constantly reminded NOT to leave UNattended a light like the D25c at full blast.

Again, you infer what I did not imply: as for survival priorities, it would have been WAY off-topic for me to present a longer post on those OTHER "survival priorities" as they are not forum-specific.

Don't worry, I can take the heat-- I ain't leaving this kitchen!