BYD, threat to US automakers or the new VW BUG?

fred a stare see

Newly Enlightened
Just everyone be civil. It's not the content, it is the abusive language. I laid out some information. People are expressing their opinions very nicely so far. Keep the fearful speculation low and the facts coming and see some benefit. Or a real problem, if there is one. Google your fear. See if it is valid. Then raise the red flag.
Did you really say, Google your fear. See if it is valid. ? Google?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting very sick and tired of how some EV proponents are constantly using the word "fear" to describe how others arrive at their thoughts. My position on government forcing EV's is based on logic, and understanding of individual rights. Not some vague, emotional propaganda word like "fear".

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Getting very sick and tired of how some EV proponents are constantly using the word "fear" to describe how others arrive at their thoughts. My position on government forcing EV's is based on logic, and understanding of individual rights. Not some vague, emotional propaganda word like "fear".
Fear from speculation caused by information, from big oil or Toyota.

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
If this is anything like the BYD tractor trailers, they'll be garbage. I've spoken with someone who works for my company in LA that has driven them and they aren't worth a poop.

TPA

Enlightened
Yeah but it's not all or nothing. Less pollution is better than more pollution.

Even with the national average, Charging EVs using the current energy grid produces much less pollution than running cars off of gasoline engines. As the grid gets cleaner, it skews even further.

People can pick & choose what stats they want to...but I use cradle-to-grave, including fuel consumed. That to me is the total environmental cost of the car. I did detailed math when I was looking for a new car and seriously was considering an EV. But the environmental cost of an EV didn't make sense. That's why I drive the current ICE I do -- even using gasoline, it's still MUCH friendlier for the environment than EVs.

To store all that renewable energy PG&E installed the largest battery in the world. In August, Vistra announced completion of the 350 MW/1400 MWh Phase III of its Moss Landing energy storage facility, bringing total capacity there to 750 MW/3000 MWh, currently thought to be the world's largest operating lithium-ion battery installation.
What an environmental disaster! First, all of the mining needed to produce that amount of Li-Ion batteries (not to mention child labour). It takes 2,000 liters of water to mine 1 kilo of lithium. So, about 230,000 liters just to mine the lithium needed for a SINGLE Tesla battery pack. This DOES NOT include the resources needed for the remaining components of the battery pack. In the USA, this mining is done in the Southwest, which already has serious water supply issues.

PBS recently had some good reports on this. Just a few such articles from PBS:

Second, conversion losses. I'm still using Lead-Acid batteries my solar setup which has about 25% losses when charging, but the Telsa folks are reporting 20-30% charging efficiency. A 30% loss when charging a 3000MWh battery works out to 900,000,000 watts wasted/hr. For reference a space heater uses 1,500 watts, so you're effectively running 600,000 space heaters, releasing their heat straight into the environment for an hour, to charge that monstrosity.

I'm not anti-EV. I'm actually kicking around the idea of picking up one of Hertz's 2023 Tesla Model 3s for $22k. At that price all of the depreciation has already occurred, and with an 8 year battery warranty, not too much risk for 'beater' around-the-town car. I'm under no grand illusions though. Is it environmentally-friendly? NO. Moving the emissions from the tailpipe to smokestack, or worse, disastrous green energy pipe dream, doesn't change the picture. The road to hell is paved with good intentions at best, with corruption at worst.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So don't blame me.
But I do blame you... for your own words and actions. Not "big oil" or Toyota.

I notice a certain lack of accountability and responsibility for some of what you say. I remember in a different thread where you basically confessed that you can't help yourself from responding. That's a conscious, willing lack of control so long as you can shift blame for it to someone, or something external. A very common tactic of those who state there's no problem in forcing restrictions instead of advocating for a free market.

Let's take this downstairs where we can discuss things further.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a thought. What does it matter what USA, Canada, and the 27 EU countries do when the rest of the world like Russia, China, India, Brasil, and some other places will more than likely still be running old gas/petrol powered cars?

I thought about this the other day when I seen a 61 Volvo still on the road and thought that in the neighbouring country of Cuba they still run cars from the 1950s on a daily basis.

Wouldn't it be better to endlessly maintain the cars we already have and maybe cut back on usage? LIke car pool to work and avoid unnecessary trips. Bike and walk for trips that are used 10 miles.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
People can pick & choose what stats they want to...but I use cradle-to-grave, including fuel consumed. That to me is the total environmental cost of the car. I did detailed math when I was looking for a new car and seriously was considering an EV. But the environmental cost of an EV didn't make sense. That's why I drive the current ICE I do -- even using gasoline, it's still MUCH friendlier for the environment than EVs.

What an environmental disaster! First, all of the mining needed to produce that amount of Li-Ion batteries (not to mention child labour). It takes 2,000 liters of water to mine 1 kilo of lithium. So, about 230,000 liters just to mine the lithium needed for a SINGLE Tesla battery pack. This DOES NOT include the resources needed for the remaining components of the battery pack. In the USA, this mining is done in the Southwest, which already has serious water supply issues.

PBS recently had some good reports on this. Just a few such articles from PBS:

Second, conversion losses. I'm still using Lead-Acid batteries my solar setup which has about 25% losses when charging, but the Telsa folks are reporting 20-30% charging efficiency. A 30% loss when charging a 3000MWh battery works out to 900,000,000 watts wasted/hr. For reference a space heater uses 1,500 watts, so you're effectively running 600,000 space heaters, releasing their heat straight into the environment for an hour, to charge that monstrosity.

I'm not anti-EV. I'm actually kicking around the idea of picking up one of Hertz's 2023 Tesla Model 3s for $22k. At that price all of the depreciation has already occurred, and with an 8 year battery warranty, not too much risk for 'beater' around-the-town car. I'm under no grand illusions though. Is it environmentally-friendly? NO. Moving the emissions from the tailpipe to smokestack, or worse, disastrous green energy pipe dream, doesn't change the picture. The road to hell is paved with good intentions at best, with corruption at worst.
I am glad you used PBS as a source. I believe Aragone National Lab more. Also the efficiency of pump, transport, refinement, transportation again, storage, evaporation, pumping into containers and finally to the wheels, well-to-wheels efficiency is less than 10% in ICEV. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/smart-mobility-well-to-wheels-efficiency-internal-combustion-kmeť
https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articles/fotw-1303-august-14-2023-cradle-grave-electric-vehicles-have-fewer#:~:text=Cradle-to-grave greenhouse gas,had 48% fewer GHG emissions. There has got to be a reason the Model Y is the best selling car in the world. Oh yes, 120 mpge. I must say not crawling under cars to service them is a pleasure.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Here is a thought. What does it matter what USA, Canada, and the 27 EU countries do when the rest of the world like Russia, China, India, Brasil, and some other places will more than likely still be running old gas/petrol powered cars?

I thought about this the other day when I seen a 61 Volvo still on the road and thought that in the neighbouring country of Cuba they still run cars from the 1950s on a daily basis.

Wouldn't it be better to endlessly maintain the cars we already have and maybe cut back on usage? LIke car pool to work and avoid unnecessary trips. Bike and walk for trips that are used 10 miles.
This is the reason there was a movement started in the last century of converting already existing vehicles to electric using forklift motors, controllers and lead acid batteries. Still done today using modern parts. Restomods. I did a few myself. http://www.evalbum.com/418

mrfixitman

Enlightened
But I do blame you... for your own words and actions. Not "big oil" or Toyota.

I notice a certain lack of accountability and responsibility for some of what you say. I remember in a different thread where you basically confessed that you can't help yourself from responding. That's a conscious, willing lack of control so long as you can shift blame for it to someone, or something external. A very common tactic of those who state there's no problem in forcing restrictions instead of advocating for a free market.

Let's take this downstairs where we can discuss things further.
What you say is a free market means you can f#@+ in my face with no repercussions. There will be a repercussions.