CR2 Ion

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwm said:
Regarding the lack of a high with RCR2's the first post of this thread addresses this:

I cut a piece of aluminum foil and folded it small and placed it in the bottom of my CR2 Ion and have both a low and high available.

Brian
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
You will get a better spring effect if you wrap the aluminum foil around a small square of flat elastic band.

fore

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear Endeavour is still trying to work on the Ion Cromagnet, especially with regarding the output of the low level.

The variations in the beam are not horrible, but I was thinking of roughing up the reflector to smooth things out further. I don't stare at walls all the time, but they show up when you use the Ion as a reading light which is my primary use for it.

A runtime of 140+ hrs I'm quite sure is not possible with the batteries supplied...not even close. Runtime to 50% would be useful. Does anyone remember how long it takes for it to drop out of regulation? Any news on the mA draw on low?

One thing that stood out though, Enrique is saying BS ripped him and the Ion customers off? This is the first I've heard of this. I've seen the flickering and I've heard about problems others have had as well, but wow. That's a new one.

*Retired*
fore said:
A runtime of 140+ hrs I'm quite sure is not possible with the batteries supplied...not even close. Runtime to 50% would be useful. Does anyone remember how long it takes for it to drop out of regulation? Any news on the mA draw on low?

As I understand it, there are not changes to the CR2 Ion electronics from proto to production model that I had. Utilizing a Duracell CR2, this is what I got for low:

endcr211.png

High resolution version:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/endcr212.png

As far as on high, this is what I got:

end2cr2.png

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
As I understand it, there are not changes to the CR2 Ion electronics from proto to production model that I had. Utilizing a Duracell CR2, this is what I got for low:

endcr211.png

High resolution version:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/endcr212.png

As far as on high, this is what I got:

end2cr2.png

More then one light sampling would show what to expect out of the light. Don't you agree?

According to the graph, constant puffing on the light gives the longest run time. :)

JJohn

Enlightened
fore said:
A runtime of 140+ hrs I'm quite sure is not possible with the batteries supplied...not even close.

I got about 34 hours on low with a brand new duracell before it went completely off. Output did stay fairly flat most of that period. I was a little surprised by my test results but, it is still a long-running light. 140 hours seems completely impossible with the CR2 Ion I have. If this is consistant with what others are finding please let me know.

John

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IC used in the CR2 ION can vary from unit to unit for the low level output. Because of this one light might have a longer/shorter runtime than the next.

Plotting or graphing these is pointless with the tolerance of the LED current in low.

You probably won't know or see the the difference if the low is 10mA or 20mA, but, that's a 2:1 difference which is not unlikely given the IC and design.

Assuming the circuit is the same design I prototyped for the light I should know.

It would be easier and simplier to assume a simple range of ~10mA to ~30mA and divide this by the Amp/HR capacity of a standard CR123 battery. Your runtime should fall somewhere between the min/max runtime estimates from above.

If a CR123 battery has 1500 mA/HR capacity that would result in 50-150 hour runtime range for this light for the low level. (1500/30, 1500/10).

Wayne

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Newbie! I'm having the hardest time with flickering on low. I get/got it with batteries from Panasonic, BS, AW lithium and LiON 3.0v protected batteries. Looking for a solution as I really like the beam and output of this light.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
dat2zip said:
The IC used in the CR2 ION can vary from unit to unit for the low level output. Because of this one light might have a longer/shorter runtime than the next.

Plotting or graphing these is pointless with the tolerance of the LED current in low.

You probably won't know or see the the difference if the low is 10mA or 20mA, but, that's a 2:1 difference which is not unlikely given the IC and design.

Assuming the circuit is the same design I prototyped for the light I should know.

It would be easier and simplier to assume a simple range of ~10mA to ~30mA and divide this by the Amp/HR capacity of a standard CR123 battery. Your runtime should fall somewhere between the min/max runtime estimates from above.

If a CR123 battery has 1500 mA/HR capacity that would result in 50-150 hour runtime range for this light for the low level. (1500/30, 1500/10).

Wayne
Thanks Wayne!! That explains a LOT. These are CR2 lights though, so I'm guessing you have a typo? But the principal is the same. :)

Bob_G

Enlightened
You can get ProGold and DeoxIT (a cleaner) at any Radio Shack.

One of mine hasn't ever flickered. The other one flickered on low for a week or so, on three brands of batteries, then stopped and has never started again. I thought it might be reduced battery voltage so tried a new battery and it still doesn't flicker anymore :shrug:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: how to figure runtime using a two-stage hi/low-

wayne said: "It would be easier and simplier to assume a simple range of ~10mA to ~30mA and divide this by the Amp/HR capacity of a standard CR123 battery. Your runtime should fall somewhere between the min/max runtime estimates from above.....If a CR123 battery has 1500 mA/HR capacity that would result in 50-150 hour runtime range for this light for the low level. (1500/30, 1500/10)."

sorry, i'm confused.

for example, using a real situtation, i have three different hi/lows for my Firefly: 32 ohm, 16 ohm and 10 ohm.

i know from testing that the 32 ohm produces the dullest beam and the 10 ohm delivers the brighest beam.

using this formula, if i divide 32 into 1500 (mA of 123 battery) i get approximately 47 hours of run time.

or if i use my 10 ohm 2-stage (10 into 1500) i get 150 hours runtime, yet this is the BRIGHTER BEAM.

how can i get more runtime AND more light output, at the same time?

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Wayne used the mA the LED actually uses, you're using the ohm rating of the resistor - lower resistor=higher mA.

I'd love to see a chart of what mA you get for various resistored lows, but I don't even know if it's possible, so may variables an all.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not aware of any external series resistor. The circuit regulates Constant Current in both High and low which is different than the Aleph or FF models where a series resistor is used to create the low level.

The IC used in the CR2 Ion with 1% precision resistors will still have a large variation in the threshold that determines the output LED current for low.

It's this IC variation that actually determines low, not a series resistor nor battery voltage.

Your actually runtime will be affected by temperature, battery type, Manufactuer, IC threshold and VF of the LED.

My previous assumptions is just a rough estimate guess to simplify all the variables that are involved.

Wayne

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from walking the dog. It's nice and dark this evening and my CR2 Ion worked really well. Nice walking light on high using a primary. Lights up an area with nice white flood. No more flicker on low.

Other than the kewl reflector and very nice flood beam, the regulation really makes this light. As does the whiteness and the really decent output on high. Really really nice. :twothumbs

Next, I need to compare it to my Aleph A19 old standby because it is a nicer flood than my A2 but doesn't throw anywhere close the distance.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was BBQ'ing some steaks last night and the tint and output on high was as perfect as I'd want it. The steaks looked natural under this light and exposed all the details you need to see the action.

Still going strong on the one primary.

Latest posts