CR2 Ion

nrk

Newly Enlightened
Just decided to do a runtime test. With a freshly charged AW RCR2 I got 4.5 hours on low. I really love this light. ;-nrk

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie,

I got around 40 minutes on high. I believe most of us that are using it have gotten more or less the same runtime.

bwm

Newly Enlightened
This evening I was cleaning out the outside covered porch (no light nor outlets on the porch) and was using my lights. Initially I was using my HDS U60GT with the heavy diffuser since I had tested the HDS with the Heavy diffuser against the CR2 Ion by shining the lights at the ceiling it seemed the two lights had equivalent coverage. Well, I used up the battery in the HDS and couldn't readily find my other MP rechargeable so I grabbed the CR2 Ion.

What a difference! "White wall hunting" they seemed to have the same area of coverage and brightness. But out on that porch where the HDS was bright in a central area and then had a dim corona almost equal to the coverage area but of the CR2 Ion but the CR2 Ion was much brighter over the whole area of illumination.

The more I use this light the more I like it and think it was a purchase well worth making.

Brian

83Venture

Enlightened
This has become my favorite inside light. One fringe benefit is that it has such a flood pattern the cat does not chase the beam at night, a problem sometimes with more concentrated lights. :)

*Retired*
Yes, the full flood, without the significant losses from adding a diffuser is nice and unique.

It is very useful.

When I am out in the woods, away from cities, it is amazing, the amount of light it makes, and how well it lights up the area without the harshness of a spot, which obscures things. I find I can judge the path much better, walking at a more natural pace.

Without the bright hotspot, I've noticed my vision is much better, when I turn off the light, as compared to a light with a bright hotspot. I also find my "night vision" returns much faster.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
well said newbie!

as someone who lives off-the-grid, far from any town or neighbors, i find the ION perfect for my EDC light. indoors or out, close or far, it provides me with a useful beam that doesn't ruin my night vision.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my CR ION on keychain and it is fast becoming my very favorite light, it is amazing to me the beams that it puts out and it being so small and built like a tank.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea. I only bought 1 in titanium and 1 in aluminum bronze. You might be able to find that info on Endeavor's CR2 Ion information thread.

*Retired*
Okay, finally finished up with another review, so I figured I'd get the runtime on the production CR2 Ion finally done.

There are 10,000 datapoints, taken once per second.

Moon mode goes on forever, so I decided to stop it, so I could get the low mode runtime done.

This is completely uncooled, with no fan (line would be flatter if it was held in a hand for heatsinking purposes):

cr2ionph.png

Compare this with the prototype, the yellow line most closely duplicates the conditions:
end2cr2.png

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Interesting data!
Want high flux, go cool. Want extended runtime, go hot! :)

Want both? Partition heat and give the battery what it likes by taking from the LED what it doesn't; dump the excess! :grin2:

OK, Newbie, when you have cleared your plate it is time for a thermo-optimal package! :nana: ( I still want to get some heat pipes! :D )

europium

Enlightened
bwm said:

What a difference! "White wall hunting" they seemed to have the same area of coverage and brightness. But out on that porch where the HDS was bright in a central area and then had a dim corona almost equal to the coverage area but of the CR2 Ion but the CR2 Ion was much brighter over the whole area of illumination.

The more I use this light the more I like it and think it was a purchase well worth making.

Brian
I, too, really like the beam on the CR2-Ion. When I compare the beam to that of an Inova X1, the flood of the Ion makes the X1 beam look like it's burning a hole in the (white) wall. The Ion really is better than most other lights for close distances, especially for reading in low light conditions, a very common task.

I really like my X1 and the Inova Microlights too, but I think they could be improved with floodier LEDs. Yes, even the unreflectored 5mm LED in the Microlight seems like a spot compared to the CR2-Ion beam. It will be interesting to see LEDs from Cree turn up in other flashlights in time, perhaps some in different colors. And I might get another CR2-Ion if it had a nice floody red LED.

Newbie, I am interested in your runtime of the production unit on low. Other informal runtime tests that I've seen mentioned here on CPF seem to indicate about 40 hours, give or take few hours. My informal runtime test resulted in 34 hours constant output on low, and then I wasn't able to check the light again until the 44 hour mark, at which point no noticeable light was coming out the front (but the LED inside was still glowing).

*Retired*
europium said:
I, too, really like the beam on the CR2-Ion. When I compare the beam to that of an Inova X1, the flood of the Ion makes the X1 beam look like it's burning a hole in the (white) wall. The Ion really is better than most other lights for close distances, especially for reading in low light conditions, a very common task.

I really like my X1 and the Inova Microlights too, but I think they could be improved with floodier LEDs. Yes, even the unreflectored 5mm LED in the Microlight seems like a spot compared to the CR2-Ion beam. It will be interesting to see LEDs from Cree turn up in other flashlights in time, perhaps some in different colors. And I might get another CR2-Ion if it had a nice floody red LED.

Newbie, I am interested in your runtime of the production unit on low. Other informal runtime tests that I've seen mentioned here on CPF seem to indicate about 40 hours, give or take few hours. My informal runtime test resulted in 34 hours constant output on low, and then I wasn't able to check the light again until the 44 hour mark, at which point no noticeable light was coming out the front (but the LED inside was still glowing).

Test is in progress now.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have enjoyed reading this thread. It helped me to decide that the CR2 Ion was neede in my collection (small as it may be).

Thanks to 4sevens I have a greenie on the way!

Is the pro gold good for conductivity and heat transfer?