• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Custom Order Notification Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Mut,
I would have been back to you sooner but I am real busy on my new website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Anyway E-mail received and the build is in progress. Thank you sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened
<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Don,
What did you do to your server, attach the Space Shuttles rocket engines to it. Very good the pages load super fast now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif. Hey did that lanyard get there?
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jeff,
My server is SBC-Yahoo so I have a lot of control over it! NOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got your lanyard and cool fids yesterday. Thanks! Great job on the lanyard! That would make a great "Croakie" or eyeglass leash as well!

OK, [OT/ off] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened
Don,
I'm glad you like the Fids and Lanyard. I never thought of it as a "Croakie", but I guess it would fit the bill. As far as your server goes they did something right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif.
Jeff
<font color="blue"> </font>

mst3k

Enlightened
Hey Don. I just emailed you and order for 1 Aleph base light with 2 X 123 pak substitute and tritium vial in tailcap. Not sure if I get a color choice or converter choice. Ok, thanks

mst3k

McGizmo

Flashaholic
mst3k,
Your color choice is dark gray (black) HA or raw Aluminum. For converter, you will want a Down Boy on 2x123 but you can pick the level. I am partial to the 917 and this is what I'd recommend but you can go with 400, 500, 611, 700 or 750 mA instead of the 917 if you want?!?!?

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened
mst3k,
I used to watch that show with a buddy of mine that was freaky about seeing every episode. Pretty funny! You will love that 917 setup. It is blinding bright, throws like you would not believe, and with the 2X123 config. the run time is excellent for a light that bright. Had mine at the beach over the holiday, in total darkness, no ambient light at all, and words can't do it justice. It will fast become your favorite light. It sure has for me!! Even though it's a little bigger than most people like to EDC, I haven't been able to leave it at home yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Brandon

mst3k

Enlightened
Cool Noxiousbt. Yeah obviously I was a big fan of the show myself. It reminded me of myself and my friends in college. We would get wasted and watch crappy monster movies every Saturday nite in Atlanta and add our own lines to them. Joel and Mike are just great at it.

As to this light. I can't wait. Sounds awesome. I have a couple of McLux TKs and a Pelican M6 McMod PK? A handful of McBulk lights. I wanted something with a ton of throw so this one seems like it will fit the bill just fine! Thanks so much for letting me know how much you like it.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Hey Don,

i've just received my Aleph1-5W .... i'm speechless....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

it is a piece of art and a super-torch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

i feel the urge to write a review but i think that i'll post it in the review forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks again.

(please as soon as you get the Aleph2 heads you can start building one for me (5w) just email me the cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif )

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Marco,
Cool! That was quick and I am glad you like the light! I look forward to your review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding the Aleph 2 (20 mm), I have not had any time yet to play with these and don't have the black anodized heads back yet from the anodizer (tomorrow if I am lucky; otherwise not until mid next week).

Both the Aleph 1 (27 mm) and the Aleph 3 (38 mm) have the reflector butt against the raised shoulder of the E-Screw in setting the focus. For a 5W build, a .020" spacer goes in as a shim between the E-Screw and the reflector. In the case of the Aleph 2(20 mm), the reflector is designed to seat against the black plastic shoulder of the Luxeon. Elevating the 5W .020" from the "normal" focus set will require some sort of cylindrical stand off betwen the E-Screw shoulder and the reflector. I have not had a chance to design or make such a standoff. I want to make it out of Al as it will add thermal mass as well as a thermal bridge between the E-Screw and the Al mass of the reflector. For a 5W in the small Aleph 2 all of this will be desired for thermal relief. The 20 mm reflector is a bit larger in diameter and deeper than the reflector in the KL4 so there may be a noticible difference in the beams between the two. It is likely that a 5W build will cost more money due to the required machined part. I also suggest that anyone thinking about a 5W in an Aleph 2 consider having the drive current set at 700 mA or less due to thermal considerations and based on intended usage; significantly on time durations.

Another issue with the 5W in all three heads is that the increased component "train" length of .020" is ideally accomplished by adding this length forward of the LE with the LE holding its place in the head. This means that the reflector needs to extend .020" into the window sealing O-ring. The best way to accomplish this is to assemble a 5W Aleph by first locating the LE in the head and adjusting its position relative to the battery tube for optimal electrical connections and head to tube seal. With the head and LE in place and mounted on the battery tube, one would then install theshim or spacer and reflector from the front. Then the sealing O-ring would be inserted followed by the window and and then threaded bezel ring. A properly equipped Do-It-Yourselfer could make the adjustment on a 5W LE by removing .020" from the rear shoulder face of the ES-Can as well as .020" from the rear lip of the ES-Can. I could have designed a 5W specific E-Screw by increasing thedepth of the counterbore by .020" but I don't believe there is nearly enough demand for 5W Alephs to even consider such a solution. Considering how many of these that would need to be ordered, there is little doubt that my heirs would end up with a bunch of these added to a garage full of other "unknown" treasures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yeah ... no 5W for Bernie ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif ... only the others get what they want ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bk

P.S.: have you tested the Aleph2 wihtout any modification and a 5W? maybe it produces a cool beam after all ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Herr Kiessling,

You want a 5W, you get a 5W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I did try a 5W without shim in an Aleph 2 and the spot and spill are very bright!! You also get a donut similar to the KL4's that are of the worse offenders! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Something thatI have not tried but am curious about is seeing if the 2 mm window could be replaced by a sandwich of a thinner window and beam shapper lens from SF. I suspect that the combo might be a very nice center weighted flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

mst3k

Enlightened
Don, I wasn't sure where to post this. I just received my Aleph 2 X CR123 Lux 3, and all I can say is OMG what a beautiful, amazing light. This thing just rocks!

Thank you so much!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well cool mst3k!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank You!!!! If Marco does put in a review post on his, feel free to chime in about your light! I suspect that there are CPF members who don't bother visiting the McGizmo forum; not that I can blame them.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Well cool mst3k!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank You!!!! If Marco does put in a review post on his, feel free to chime in about your light! I suspect that there are CPF members who don't bother visiting the McGizmo forum; not that I can blame them.

[/ QUOTE ]

DONE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hey Bernie,
Don's explanation of the 5w build is exactly what I had explained to you about my build. So I guess we are in the minority for 5w builds. I quote Don's explanation. "A properly equipped Do-It-Yourself-er could make the adjustment on a 5W LE by removing .020" from the rear shoulder face of the ES-Can as well as .020" from the rear lip of the ES-Can. I could have designed a 5W specific E-Screw by increasing the depth of the counter-bore by .020" but I don't believe there is nearly enough demand for 5W Alephs to even consider such a solution."
Bernie my light has the characteristic donut, but I have become accustomed to it. The light still has a very intense spot and side spill pattern. So I guess until there is more call for the 5w we won't see the additional machine work to close the donut in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.
Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There are always solutions, Jeff ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Let Don do the work if you aren't a do-it-yourselfer like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
And if a little donut won't hurt you, the McR-27 is great for the 5W. If you can acquire an older massively stippled PR you will get the perfect beam as well as with a beadblasted/chrome plated reflector, but the price is paied in lux and those reflectors aren't available anywhere.

BUT ... you can have good results with the so17xa, although the one I have is a partially stippled one.

So ... the 5W lives and rulez ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

bernhard

Mr. M. C. Gizmo,
thanx for your kind offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I really have a ton of 5W heads as you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, and my Aleph2 head will be a LuxIII, at least the first one.
But the Aleph3 ... yeah man ... 5W all the way!

bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.