Do you carry a flashlight 24/7?

Drjones

Enlightened
I thought the purpose of this thread was to see if people carry a light even during the day, but I recall there being a thread about that a short while ago...

Anyhow, if I'm clothed I have the following on me:

- Inova X5T
- Inova microlight on key
- Glock 27 or 30
- Strider Tactical GB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned
Gyverpete, I rinse the AAA well, but sometimes the inside of the 'reflector' get's a bit of a film (don't notice any in the knurls). A quick wipe of the reflector/LED and all is well again.

Every now and then I wash the AAA while doing dishes and that really cleans it up all sparkling bright, which means that the there MIGHT be some film left on the body of the light in normal use/carry/etc.

As to cow interior lighting: Replacing the battery would be required too often ...

gyverpete

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Tomas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good point about the C.I.L. Battery changes would be udderly impossible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Someone would have to develop a methane powered "Bovine-XR" light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I personally am in withdrawal- just dissassembled 2 of my EDCs for a trip to the plater/anodizer. Leaves me with only my N-celled AAA. (Guess I'd better put a fresh N-cell in it, just in case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) 27/7, well, in reach. I draw the line at the shower though.

Larry

zyk

Newly Enlightened
I always(must) carry one or two flashlight in my bag when I go outside. But not often to use it because in H.K., there is always bright enough when you walking outside at night.
Some of my friend feel strange and laugh on me when they know I always carry a flashlight with me. But I just tell
them you never know when will you need to use it.

Here is my EDC list(at that moment):
Monday to Friday -> UK-2L or PT rage.
Saturday and Sunday -> SL TT-2L or SL Scorpion.

I will change the EDC list depend on my mood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
zyk-

Large Modern buildings can be very dark inside when the power goes out. In the big San Francisco area earthquake in 1989 a woman friend was shopping in the dishes and cookwear department in a large retail store. This department was below the ground floor in what they called the cellar. When the quake started the floor was shaking violently, dishes where crashing to the floor, glass shattering all around her in nearly total darkness, she knew she was below ground with all that concrete above her, would she be able to find her way out. She would have given anything for a tiny flashlight.

GregR

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not carry 24/7 as described by the other posters, but I always at least have one nearby.
When I'm at work at work I have my E1 and either the Ultra or Arc AAA, always.
There is a Photon 2 on my keychain that is my emergency backup, it is there with me if I am ever away from home and need a light. Or eve at home if I am in a hurry and nothing else is in quick reach.
In my car there is an Ultra that I rigged with a swivel badge clip that is attached to my visor. It is set up as a interior light that I can aim and it easily detaches if neccessary [previously mentioned Ultra is a second unit strictly for pocket carry. There is also a SL Scorp, a Reactor, and a 3D mag that uses one of the Chief's 4AA to 1D adaptors in. I put the appropriate PR bulb in it so I have the output of 6 cells.
If I go out in the day I have the Photon, but at night I try to remember to carry something else to.
At home I rotate through my "colection", but the main usage goes to a tap light I modded to use a blue LED that came out of an Asp light, an old rubber 2AA with a 3 red led PR in it, the Arc or Ultra, and whatever else I want to play with.
Like I said, not always in my pocket or around my neck, but always closeby.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
zyk-

Large Modern buildings can be very dark inside when the power goes out. In the big San Francisco area earthquake in 1989 a woman friend was shopping in the dishes and cookwear department in a large retail store. This department was below the ground floor in what they called the cellar. When the quake started the floor was shaking violently, dishes where crashing to the floor, glass shattering all around her in nearly total darkness, she knew she was below ground with all that concrete above her, would she be able to find her way out. She would have given anything for a tiny flashlight.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Greg. I always use the "We live in earthquake-country" excuse when explaining why I have so many lights. I'm amazed at how unprepared people are sometimes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
Thomas: I have light by me 24/7. I leave my EDC in my pockets, but I have nightstand lights.

zyk: I live in a relatively urban area, and I find the uneven light from bright sources and dark shadows to be more demanding of handheld light than total dark. I need to carry a 1W LED in the city, whereas a CMG Infinity is fine in the country.

I have been *in* the shower during a power failure. Never again.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
I thought the purpose of this thread was to see if people carry a light even during the day, but I recall there being a thread about that a short while ago...

[/ QUOTE ]
BIGGEST EDC

Brightnorm

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I just got a arc aaa LE off the BST forum. I will try it out in the shower now.!

Heres my set-up 24/7 in the field.

Arc AAA LE around my neck with my tags
SL TT 1L clipped on my vest
SL Scorpion in a pocket
Inova Microlight in white and green clipped on my gear
My M16 and magazines and whichever gear I need to have for the mission.

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gadgetman! I'm glad you mentioned knives! In addition to two or three flashlights, a pistol and a small "back-up" pistol...I keep a Chris Reeve "Sebenza" clipped to my right pocket, a Spyderco stainless steel "Cricket" clipped to my left pocket, a custom made, razor sharp "Key Knife" on my key ring, and a thin titanium "credit card knife" in my wallet. What's that? Paranoid? Yes, I guess so. This is what a war and the gruesome murder of my best friend did to me. I'm a little nuts. I fully admit it.
Oh, when I fly the "Sebenza" gets swapped for a Spyderco titanium body "Salsa" with a 50/50 blade. I feel that the serrations on the blade will cut a stuck seat belt more quickly. No, I don't take all this stuff on a airliner. I fly myself. If I can't take even my POCKETKNIFE on the airlines, I'll drive the plane myself. No muss-no fuss. Walk out, get in, go. No metal detectors, no idiot thinking he can "confiscate" my stuff.

Will

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kentucky Rifle said:What's that? Paranoid? Yes, I guess so. This is what a war and the gruesome murder of my best friend did to me. I'm a little nuts. I fully admit it.

If I can't take even my POCKETKNIFE on the airlines, I'll drive the plane myself. No muss-no fuss. Walk out, get in, go. No metal detectors, no idiot thinking he can "confiscate" my stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

- You the same Kentucky Rifle from THR? Hi! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

- I think those who go about life totally unprepared are the stupid ones. Those who ridicule others like us for being prepared are probably even more stupid.

- You are right about private planes; SO convenient, especially post-9/11.

DaveT

Enlightened
I just had it proved to me it's a good idea to have a light or two (or more) on you all the time. ARC LSH-S and ARC AAA were great when I had to get out of an unlighted subway station yesterday. And the lesson learned is to EDC spare batteries with the flashlights.
Dave

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Yup, an L4 in my pocket and an A2 in my pack plus the spare to go with them. Ya never know when you might need 'em
Plus an Emerson or two.

paulr

Flashaholic
All the subway blackout stories tell me to rethink EDC'ing expensive lights. Stick with lights that don't use exotic batteries and that you can lend to a stranger without freaking out about what if you don't get it back. Right now I have an Arc LS in my pocket (great light, but expensive and runs on a 123) but I plan to switch it to a PT Blast (much cheaper, about as bright as the LS, and runs on two AAA's) sometime.