Eneloops: what charger do I need? (info and discussion thead)

noobcell

Newly Enlightened
Re: Eneloops: what charger do I need?

Hello everyone, first post here. I recently bought a Sanyo BC-KJR6B40TM charger, and upon receiving the model, saw it printed as NC-MQR06W. Initially I thought I had received a wrong model, but upon close inspection noticed that Panasonic was importing this product, and had the whole set (i.e. charger + 4 2000 mAh Ni-Mh cells) listed as the BC-KJR6B40TM. The reason I'm confused is I'm trying to find out the charging type used by this product, and have found lots of contradictory information on google. Some older sites/posts from 2009/2010 list the NC-MQR06W as using Peak Voltage Detection, while some say its uses NDV detection primarily.

The eneloop catalogue 2012 on the internet lists the BC-KJR6B40TM as capable of -
1. Individual charging control
2. Timer control
3. Peak voltage control
4. Minus delta voltage detection
5. Temperature control/protection
6. Alkaline battery detection
7. Short circuited cells detection

So my question is, does this unit use one charging detection preferentially over the other, and would it be ok to use it for non-eneloop Ni-Mh batteries.
Also, does this employ trickle charging, after the initial charge is complete. I could not find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello everyone, first post here. I recently bought a Sanyo BC-KJR6B40TM charger, and upon receiving the model, saw it printed as NC-MQR06W. Initially I thought I had received a wrong model, but upon close inspection noticed that Panasonic was importing this product, and had the whole set (i.e. charger + 4 2000 mAh Ni-Mh cells) listed as the BC-KJR6B40TM. The reason I'm confused is I'm trying to find out the charging type used by this product, and have found lots of contradictory information on google. Some older sites/posts from 2009/2010 list the NC-MQR06W as using Peak Voltage Detection, while some say its uses NDV detection primarily.

The eneloop catalogue 2012 on the internet lists the BC-KJR6B40TM as capable of -
2. Timer control
3. Peak voltage control

So my question is, does this unit use one charging detection preferentially over the other, and would it be ok to use it for non-eneloop Ni-Mh batteries.
Also, does this employ trickle charging, after the initial charge is complete. I could not find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
hello noobcell welcome to the forum!

your started thread got merged with this one :p

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

2. Timer control
3. Peak voltage control

All are activate all the time, but usual it will stop on 3) or 4), depending on battery type.
2) and 5) are only used when 3) and 4) fails

This charging works for all NiMH batteries.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shouldn't the MAHA/Powerex MH-C808m be on the list? Old, but still available and I think it still holds its own.

UserName

Newly Enlightened

What about an energizer CHDC7? http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc7.pdf

It lists charge current at 450 mAh, dV charge termination, and 50 mAh trickle charge. If that trickle charge continues on indefinitely, I would think this a bad charger. If it stops after a period of time, it could be alright, no?

I've got one from before I learned much about batteries, and it's basically retired. It goes in my suitcase due to it's very compact size, but even at that, it's only a backup plan. My primary plan when travelling is to have enough spare cells with me charging is not necessary.

IsaacL

Enlightened

What about an energizer CHDC7? http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc7.pdf

It lists charge current at 450 mAh, dV charge termination, and 50 mAh trickle charge. If that trickle charge continues on indefinitely, I would think this a bad charger. If it stops after a period of time, it could be alright, no?

My understanding is that any charger that continues to charge (or trickle) after termination did not "terminate". Put another way, once your cells reach their max specified voltage, charging them further (or keeping them at 100%) is still damaging them.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about the Nitecore i4 Universal Intelligent Charger?

Jerry

noobcell

Newly Enlightened

All are activate all the time, but usual it will stop on 3) or 4), depending on battery type.
2) and 5) are only used when 3) and 4) fails

This charging works for all NiMH batteries.

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome, and info :)

Just to add some follow up to my post, I had some old Ni-Cd cells lying around ( 800 mAh) that I took an optimistic chance and threw on the sanyo charger, keeping a cautious eye on them (checking temps by hand every 10 mins). The charger auto switched off in around 35-40 min (for 4 cells, which seemed reasonable), without them warming up noticeably (I'm not sure what detection method would have been used here).
Since I'd read unconfirmed reports on Ni-Mh chargers possibly overcharging/heating Ni-Cd cells beyond capacity, and spoiling cells/charger/both, just want to report that it seemed to work fine with this particular charger, but please use this info at your own risk :D.

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened

Thanks for the welcome, and info :)

Just to add some follow up to my post, I had some old Ni-Cd cells lying around ( 800 mAh) that I took an optimistic chance and threw on the sanyo charger, keeping a cautious eye on them (checking temps by hand every 10 mins). The charger auto switched off in around 35-40 min (for 4 cells, which seemed reasonable), without them warming up noticeably (I'm not sure what detection method would have been used here).
Since I'd read unconfirmed reports on Ni-Mh chargers possibly overcharging/heating Ni-Cd cells beyond capacity, and spoiling cells/charger/both, just want to report that it seemed to work fine with this particular charger, but please use this info at your own risk :D.
:welcome:

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Noobcell,

Welcome to CPF.

Going back to your first post it looks like that charger uses minus delta voltage to detect the end of charge. If no signal is observed it has a back up termination of peak voltage and a final back up of time.

You have the caution of using a NiMh charger to charge NiCd cells backward. The issue is that the NiCd cell may end up under charged. The reason is that NiCd cells user a higher -dV end of charge value. If you charge a NiMh cell with a NiCd charger you will end up slightly overcharging the NiMh cell but studies have shown that it doesn't have much of an effect on the NiMh longevity.

Tom

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

I am new to eneloops, I avoided recharegable for a long time because of short run times, and self discharge issues.
Smeone recommended getting some loops for a flashlight. Then it is like the other gadgets with alkaline got mysteriously sick and they all started leaking. In 3 months, 6 different gadgets have leaked. Not including my sons toys..
so..
researched it .. Eneloops are the way to go.. No leaks, decent performance (better with pro/xx) and LSD! Woot.

That said, my first loop buy I was under informed in generations, cycles etc... I bought some ?Gen Sanyo eneloops with a Sanyo NC-MQN06U 4xaa/aaa charger. Battery made in Japan, charger in China. Charges 2 or 4 batteries, not singles. Batteries: 1000 recharge cycle, 85% charge after one year. 2000mAh. (1900)min
there is no year or date of manufacturer on the packaging. The white lifted plastic is not easy to read on the charger.

I was a bit frustrated at the ignorant purchase and tossed the sanyo pack in the parts bin. then went and bought aa 4 th gen Panasonic eneloops w/cc17 something. Happy with it from what I read.

When I opened the Sanyo loops and they were not lighting up a headlamp on low. After leaving them in the original charger over night, there have no issues with the head lamp, the San loops, still on first charge cycle.

I try to keep packaging and paperwork because I am a geek. And I like referencing without Internet. But sometimes my son, wife or dogs decide to do something else with packaging.

Thinking about investing in a MH-c9000 charger/analyzer. But funding is pending for now. So research ...

i read the c9000 discharges, recharges, reads, rinses, repeats, and tells you how looped your eneloops are. Sounds grea

The cc17 doesn't discharge/prime, read voltage or do laundry. But is it good enough?

HJM

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello HandyJoeMann,

By all accounts the BQ-CC17 is a great charger. It is not an analyzer, but it is all the charger you need.

If you want to get into analyzing and more, the MH-C9000 is excellent.

Best wishes!

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am new to eneloops, I avoided recharegable for a long time because of short run times, and self discharge issues.
Smeone recommended getting some loops for a flashlight. Then it is like the other gadgets with alkaline got mysteriously sick and they all started leaking. In 3 months, 6 different gadgets have leaked. Not including my sons toys..
so..
researched it .. Eneloops are the way to go.. No leaks, decent performance (better with pro/xx) and LSD! Woot.

That said, my first loop buy I was under informed in generations, cycles etc... I bought some ?Gen Sanyo eneloops with a Sanyo NC-MQN06U 4xaa/aaa charger. Battery made in Japan, charger in China. Charges 2 or 4 batteries, not singles. Batteries: 1000 recharge cycle, 85% charge after one year. 2000mAh. (1900)min
there is no year or date of manufacturer on the packaging. The white lifted plastic is not easy to read on the charger.

I was a bit frustrated at the ignorant purchase and tossed the sanyo pack in the parts bin. then went and bought aa 4 th gen Panasonic eneloops w/cc17 something. Happy with it from what I read.

When I opened the Sanyo loops and they were not lighting up a headlamp on low. After leaving them in the original charger over night, there have no issues with the head lamp, the San loops, still on first charge cycle.

I try to keep packaging and paperwork because I am a geek. And I like referencing without Internet. But sometimes my son, wife or dogs decide to do something else with packaging.

Thinking about investing in a MH-c9000 charger/analyzer. But funding is pending for now. So research ...

i read the c9000 discharges, recharges, reads, rinses, repeats, and tells you how looped your eneloops are. Sounds grea

The cc17 doesn't discharge/prime, read voltage or do laundry. But is it good enough?

HJM

You may want to slow down a bit and just use the cc17 for now. You don't want to throw away a good charger such as the MH-c9000 or the CC17 if you are struggling with it. The CPF can help you out along the way and if you find using NiMHs such as Eneloops work for you, you can move to the next step but for now you'll have to find out what batteries work best for your devices. The CC17 works great and should be fine while you get accustomed to using rechargeables. :)

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

it has been an exhausting search for the benifits, drawbacks and risk factors of using lithium-ion or Ni-Mh. and which chargers are best.
the olight S15 is the only light in my possession that can take a lithium ion, ill stick to eneloops for now, two work fine.

thanks for the information. il wait to get the MH-C9000 on sale and grab one then.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the information. il wait to get the MH-C9000 on sale and grab one then.

I hope I helped!

As an aside, I liked my C9000 so much that I ordered a second one within a week of starting to use it, ha ha ha!

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

I hope I helped!

As an aside, I liked my C9000 so much that I ordered a second one within a week of starting to use it, ha ha ha!

once upon a time I could buy all the extra little things my heart desired. Now I have to calculate and research every purchase. (not that i mind the results)
Get it while you CAN!
I found a MH-C9000 on Kijiji.ca for $50 CAD + shipp person is also offering powerex aa batteries, $2.50 CAD each. THE CAD is at low time for AMerican SHOPPERS! knudge knudge.. :poke:

ps yes you helped grijon

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened

$50 CAD for a used one is "ok".

Newegg.ca $57
Newegg.com $50

Ham Radio Outlet (in the U.S.) has the C9000 new for $39 at the moment.