Eneloops: what charger do I need? (info and discussion thead)

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
My apologies for the late reply. I am subscribed to this thread, but never received any alerts about subsequent replies.

i got the CC17 charger and tried the AA NiMH batteries that only got a flashing red light on the CC55 charger. I got a flashing green light with each of those cells in the CC17. I left them in for 24 hours and still had the flashing green light above each cell when I pulled them out.

I looked in the user guide for the CC17 but could not find any explanation for the lights on the CC17.

As my plan going forward is to concentrate on eneloops and retire my remaining alkaline and rechargeable NiMH batteries, I feel comfortable using both the CC-17 and 55 chargers keeping in mind the thermal aspects of the CC55. I don't expect my BC900 to see much use going forward.

I'll also be interested in the forthcoming BQ-CC65 charger.
'Gadgets-r-us' ;)

ChibiM

Enlightened
My apologies for the late reply. I am subscribed to this thread, but never received any alerts about subsequent replies.

i got the CC17 charger and tried the AA NiMH batteries that only got a flashing red light on the CC55 charger. I got a flashing green light with each of those cells in the CC17. I left them in for 24 hours and still had the flashing green light above each cell when I pulled them out.

I looked in the user guide for the CC17 but could not find any explanation for the lights on the CC17.

As my plan going forward is to concentrate on eneloops and retire my remaining alkaline and rechargeable NiMH batteries, I feel comfortable using both the CC-17 and 55 chargers keeping in mind the thermal aspects of the CC55. I don't expect my BC900 to see much use going forward.

I'll also be interested in the forthcoming BQ-CC65 charger.
'Gadgets-r-us' ;)

Interesting that even the CC17 showed some flashing greens ;)

You better dispose those old worn batteries, and get yourself some eneloops. Enjoy your chargers!

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
Again, I'm not getting any notifications to thread replies, even though I'm subscribed. Any idea what's up with that?

So what do the lights on the CC17 indicate? I never have found any documentation on that. Unless the user guide on the CC55 is the same. The CC55 does tell me what the lights all mean.

Agree on tossing the old batteries. Sooner rather than later!

ProfJim

Newly Enlightened
Again, I'm not getting any notifications to thread replies, even though I'm subscribed. Any idea what's up with that?

So what do the lights on the CC17 indicate? I never have found any documentation on that. Unless the user guide on the CC55 is the same. The CC55 does tell me what the lights all mean.

Agree on tossing the old batteries. Sooner rather than later!
from the BQ-CC17 user manual:

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
In this charger 4 AA and/or 4 AAA batteries can be charged in several combinations (see fig. 4)
1) Observe polarity by matching (+) and (-) on the batteries to (+) and (-) on the charger.

• For AA battery, insert from the (+) terminal and push on the (-) terminal. (fig 2)
  • For AAA battery, insert from (-) terminal, then place (+) terminal into (+) contact place. (fig 3)
2) Plug charger into standard 100–240 V AC outlet;
3) Charging indicator light will be lit after blinking fast several times, indicating that charging is being conducted.
If indicator light does not come on:​
a) Make sure batteries are inserted, making proper contact with terminals in each slot;
b) Make sure charger is plugged into a working AC outlet.​
4) After charging fully the charging indicator light will turn off. The charger should then be unplugged from the AC outlet and the batteries removed.
The auto-off feature will automatically shut off the charger when the batteries are completely charged.
Charging times shown in Table 1 are only indicative and can vary depending on temperature and battery status.​

Last edited:

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
from the BQ-CC17 user manual:

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
In this charger 4 AA and/or 4 AAA batteries can be charged in several combinations (see fig. 4)
1) Observe polarity by matching (+) and (-) on the batteries to (+) and (-) on the charger.

• For AA battery, insert from the (+) terminal and push on the (-) terminal. (fig 2)
  • For AAA battery, insert from (-) terminal, then place (+) terminal into (+) contact place. (fig 3)
2) Plug charger into standard 100–240 V AC outlet;
3) Charging indicator light will be lit after blinking fast several times, indicating that charging is being conducted.
If indicator light does not come on:​
a) Make sure batteries are inserted, making proper contact with terminals in each slot;
b) Make sure charger is plugged into a working AC outlet.​
4) After charging fully the charging indicator light will turn off. The charger should then be unplugged from the AC outlet and the batteries removed.
The auto-off feature will automatically shut off the charger when the batteries are completely charged.
Charging times shown in Table 1 are only indicative and can vary depending on temperature and battery status.​

Thanks ProfJim. The batteries were inserted in the CC17, the lights began flashing green. They flashed green for 24 hours until I removed them. I am unable to decipher what a flashing green light means from the CC17 user guide (from which you posted the above info).

BQ-CC17 user guide:
http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/...com/files/downloads/attachments/1_bq-cc17.pdf

BQ-CC55 user guide:
http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/...com/files/downloads/attachments/4_bq-cc55.pdf

sbslider

Enlightened
I have some eneloops I pulled from a recycle pile and put in my BQ-CC17. I found the light for the channel would be solid green for a short time (~1min maybe?) and then start flashing green. i don't recall if I ever figured out what this indicates, but I figured it was not good. I was able to "dumb" charge these cells with a constant current for 15 min - 30 min, then reinstall them in the BQ-CC17. After the short dumb charge they charged normally (solid green light) in the BQ-CC17 for a few hours.

While the cells charged, they were only about 70% of the expected mAhrs, as estimated by comparing the run time with known good batteries.

sbslider

Enlightened
There are different levels of notification, you might double check how you are subscribed. Some are instant email, or daily email, or through control panel only.

AA Cycler

Newly Enlightened
So what do the lights on the CC17 indicate?

• no battery - LED off
  • battery inserted and charging - LED on
  • error, bad battery detected - LED flashing
  • battery full - LED off

The batteries were inserted in the CC17, the lights began flashing green. They flashed green for 24 hours until I removed them. I am unable to decipher what a flashing green light means from the CC17 user guide...

It means the charger considers your batteries bad and will not charge them.

Last edited:

ProfJim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ProfJim. The batteries were inserted in the CC17, the lights began flashing green. They flashed green for 24 hours until I removed them. I am unable to decipher what a flashing green light means from the CC17 user guide (from which you posted the above info).

BQ-CC17 user guide:
http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/...com/files/downloads/attachments/1_bq-cc17.pdf

BQ-CC55 user guide:
http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/...com/files/downloads/attachments/4_bq-cc55.pdf
You'r welcome.

My BQ-CC17 was used quite a few times while I was gathering test results for my budget charger review. Before charging any batteries, a set of four LSD batteries were fully discharged down to 0.90 volts. My procedure with each charger was to insert all batteries into the charger and then plug the charger into wall outlet. With the BQ-CC17 charger, the green indicator lights would each blink for a one or two seconds and then each indicator would turn solid green.

On one occasion, the battery in the #4 slot started blinking several minutes after all the indicator lights turned solid green. I thought that it might be due to a poor electrical contact, so I gently held the charger with one hand and used my other hand to gently push the #4 battery in and rotate the battery left and right. The indicator light turned solid green and remained solid until the end of the charging session. Using my advanced charger/analyzer to measure each battery's capacity showed that all four batteries were fully charged.

About an hour ago, I put four Fujitsu LSD AA batteries in the BQ-CC17. The indicator lights all turned solid green in less than one second and none of the lights flashed briefly. I measured each battery's voltage with my digital multi-meter before inserting the batteries into the charger. All four batteries had a no load voltage = 1.32 volts. This set of batteries were last charged about six months ago.

Have you tried testing your batteries with your BQ-CC55 charger?
What is the brand and model name of your batteries? How old are the batteries?

Use a tissue paper to clean both battery contact points and do the same for the charger's battery contacts.
Item 3a in the user manual indicates that there is a contact problem.

I assume that your BQ-CC17 is a new unit.
If you don't have a DMM, you can test each battery's voltage using your La Crosse BC900 charger/analyzer.

carnage

Enlightened
Is the BQ-CC55 supposed to charge faster than the BQ-CC17? I bought a 8 pk of AA Eneloops, they all read 1.32 volts. I put 4 in the BQ-CC17 and 4 in the BQ-CC55 the BQ-CC17 finish about half hour before the BQ-CC55. Is this normal?

ProfJim

Newly Enlightened
Is the BQ-CC55 supposed to charge faster than the BQ-CC17? I bought a 8 pk of AA Eneloops, they all read 1.32 volts. I put 4 in the BQ-CC17 and 4 in the BQ-CC55 the BQ-CC17 finish about half hour before the BQ-CC55. Is this normal?
From my experience, no this is not at all normal.
All of my 1900 mAh LSD AA battery 4-pack kits when new were only about 67% full, give or take 1% or 2% and they all had initial no load voltages ~ 1.32 volts.

When charging four AA batteries, the BQ-CC55 uses a 750 mA charge rate.
The BQ-CC17 always uses a 300 mA charge rate for AA batteries all of the time, whether you're charging one, two, three or four batteries. This means that if all eight batteries have similar initial precharged capacity, the BQ-CC55 batteries should finish much sooner.

If all of your batteries are 2/3 full before charging, this means that there is 1900 mAh minus 1273 mAh equals 627 mAh of unavailable capacity.

Here's a ballpark formula: total capacity divided by the charging rate = how long it will take (in hours) to fully charge a depleted battery.
In your case 627 mAh divided by 750 mA = 0.836 hour or approximately 50 minutes for the BQ-CC55 to finishing charging 3 or 4 AA batteries.
627 mAh divided by 300 mA = 2.09 hours or about 125 minutes for the BQ-CC17 to finishing charging one or more batteries.

Keep in mind that it takes several charge/discharge cycles for new batteries to be fully broken in where they should easily meet their rated specs.
I don't have an explanation why your results are bass ackwards, maybe you have a half-fast BQ-CC55. :eeksign:

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
There are different levels of notification, you might double check how you are subscribed. Some are instant email, or daily email, or through control panel only.

I'm talking about email notification of thread replies.

i fixed it by re-entering my email address in settings.

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
  • no battery - LED off
  • battery inserted and charging - LED on
  • error, bad battery detected - LED flashing
  • battery full - LED off

It means the charger considers your batteries bad and will not charge them.

Thank you! May I ask where you found this info?

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
Apologies. I tried posting there but it wouldn't accept my post. Feel free to move the OT posts.

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
You'r welcome.

My BQ-CC17 was used quite a few times while I was gathering test results for my budget charger review. Before charging any batteries, a set of four LSD batteries were fully discharged down to 0.90 volts. My procedure with each charger was to insert all batteries into the charger and then plug the charger into wall outlet. With the BQ-CC17 charger, the green indicator lights would each blink for a one or two seconds and then each indicator would turn solid green.

On one occasion, the battery in the #4 slot started blinking several minutes after all the indicator lights turned solid green. I thought that it might be due to a poor electrical contact, so I gently held the charger with one hand and used my other hand to gently push the #4 battery in and rotate the battery left and right. The indicator light turned solid green and remained solid until the end of the charging session. Using my advanced charger/analyzer to measure each battery's capacity showed that all four batteries were fully charged.

About an hour ago, I put four Fujitsu LSD AA batteries in the BQ-CC17. The indicator lights all turned solid green in less than one second and none of the lights flashed briefly. I measured each battery's voltage with my digital multi-meter before inserting the batteries into the charger. All four batteries had a no load voltage = 1.32 volts. This set of batteries were last charged about six months ago.

Have you tried testing your batteries with your BQ-CC55 charger?
What is the brand and model name of your batteries? How old are the batteries?

Use a tissue paper to clean both battery contact points and do the same for the charger's battery contacts.
Item 3a in the user manual indicates that there is a contact problem.

I assume that your BQ-CC17 is a new unit.
If you don't have a DMM, you can test each battery's voltage using your La Crosse BC900 charger/analyzer.

AFAIK, the CC17 is a new unit. Panasonic sent it to me to test.

The BQ-CC55A charged up my old Gen 1 Sanyo AA and AAA Eneloops without issue. But when I plugged in some of my old AA NiMh batteries, I got the flashing red light of death. The AA NiMh batteries I tried were:
1) LaCrosse Tech 2400 mAh
2) Energizer 2500 mAh
3) Duracell 2650 mAh

The old AAA batteries from Energizer charged without issue on the CC55A. All these batteries are at least 5 years old.

My BC-900 charges the above AA NiMh batteries without issue (other than having to jump start some dead ones with an old Energizer NiMh charger to get the BC-900 to see them). Right now is appears I have to charge my AA Eneloops on one charger and my NiMh batteries on the other.

Since I plan to replace all my existing alkaline and older NiMH batteries with Eneloops as they die out, I should be able to use the CC55A and the CC17 with Eneloops without issue.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
From my experience, no this is not at all normal.
All of my 1900 mAh LSD AA battery 4-pack kits when new were only about 67% full, give or take 1% or 2% and they all had initial no load voltages ~ 1.32 volts.

When charging four AA batteries, the BQ-CC55 uses a 750 mA charge rate.
The BQ-CC17 always uses a 300 mA charge rate for AA batteries all of the time, whether you're charging one, two, three or four batteries. This means that if all eight batteries have similar initial precharged capacity, the BQ-CC55 batteries should finish much sooner.

If all of your batteries are 2/3 full before charging, this means that there is 1900 mAh minus 1273 mAh equals 627 mAh of unavailable capacity.

Here's a ballpark formula: total capacity divided by the charging rate = how long it will take (in hours) to fully charge a depleted battery.
In your case 627 mAh divided by 750 mA = 0.836 hour or approximately 50 minutes for the BQ-CC55 to finishing charging 3 or 4 AA batteries.
627 mAh divided by 300 mA = 2.09 hours or about 125 minutes for the BQ-CC17 to finishing charging one or more batteries.

Keep in mind that it takes several charge/discharge cycles for new batteries to be fully broken in where they should easily meet their rated specs.
I don't have an explanation why your results are bass ackwards, maybe you have a half-fast BQ-CC55. :eeksign:

Do you have to let the batteries sit in the charger once the lights shut off for a period of time to let it finish the charge? I guess it's called a top off charge.

sbslider

Enlightened
Do you have to let the batteries sit in the charger once the lights shut off for a period of time to let it finish the charge? I guess it's called a top off charge.
No, lights off, charging is complete. They will likely be a bit warm at first, but there is no further charging going one once the light goes out.

AA Cycler

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! May I ask where you found this info?

In HKJ's review and from my own experience.

The manual is not that accurate and is a bit misleading. For example the charging process does not start with LED blinking fast several times and then going solid green. My charger goes solid green straight away, there is no blinking-to-solid transition.