Ever been hastled by airport security for your carry-on lights/batteries?

m16a

Enlightened
Not really hassled but detained several times. I think the probability of a security guard being a flashaholic or at least interested in flashlights is higher than in the total population.

For example, a couple of month ago a security guard at Frankfurt airport was very interested in my LunaSol 20. He tried the light for some time and even took it apart to look inside. After that he inquired about it, he was interested in brightness, runtime and where it could be bought. While the line behind me was growing I told him more about this light and I think he was quite impressed (especially by the PD mechanism and the fact that it's made of titanium). When I told him about the price he gave me a curious look like I was a little strange after all. :D

You would have known that he was 100% a CPF member if he didn't bat an eye after hearing the price. :devil:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I told him about the price he gave me a curious look like I was a little strange after all. :D

Aren't we all?

I have never told any friends or family what I have spent on flashlights, especially what I spent on my Elephant II. I don't even like to add up the cost of:
- Elephant II body with extension
- 3" Throwmaster head
- 8 x IMR 18650 cells
- AW soft-starter switch
But we must be talking around US$500. No one that I know (apart from you guys on this forum) would understand that kind of expenditure on a torch.

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
Strange indeed, I totally agree, but no threat to airtravel whatsoever :)

Very OT: only 9 months ago I would have thought it pure madness to spend $100 for a flashlight, let alone more than $400 (to spend that kind of money on a nice semi-custom knife would have been OK , though ;)). Now I am the proud owner of a whole bunch of lights that cost more than $100, I even had to cut down on air travel:D

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

When I went to Canada last year from the US, I carried a Novatac 120T. I like to remove all metal objects from my pockets so I placed the light in my backback while going through security.

Lucky for me, I was chosen for a random thorough search. The TSA guy didn't even ask about the light when he rummaged through my bag. He did ask alot of questions about a portable hard drive I had in a firewire case.

Next time I travel, i will not bring any external hard drives.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i recently had to travel to a country where security is a MAJOR concern, Israel. I was concerned about bringing lights, cells and chargers in. In the end, i had my Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 clipped to my passport holder, my LD01 on a neck lanyard with my USB drive and a Ultrafire P60 host with the DX MC-E drop in (in checked luggage), my spare cells (2x18650, 2x14500 and 2x10440) were all in my medical pouch in my checked luggage.

No problems whatsoever, no one batted an eye at all.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went through the airport checkpoint two weeks ago and forgot my LOD in my pocket, along with a few metallic objects. They had me empty all my pockets and did a thourough check for metallic objects. The guard only had a brief look at my LOD. I don't know what was different about this metal detector, I usually go through with just about the same stuff on me without a beep...

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I'm flying in a few days and I've never had a problem in the past, but I'm bringing a larger light than I usually take. A 1C Maglite mod, 7" length. Normally I just pack them in my carry on and no pays any attention.

There shouldn't be any problem. I'm just checking what the current flying situation is. Going fron Orlando to Milwaukee, WI.

I'm beating what? ......A dead horse? :dedhorse:

The one time any light was noticed was when I forgot to put my Fenix P2D
in my bag before the checkpoint. It was still in my pocket and set off the detector. When I checked my pockets and gave it to the TSA guy, he just turned it on to see if it worked, said "bright little sucker", and gave it back.

ejot

Enlightened
See what the x-ray guy says if you have a Fenix diffuser in your carry-on as it goes through the machine. :laughing:

gem

Newly Enlightened
I continue to enjoy these responses.

Well no issues for me on the way out of Green Bay with my C2, Glo-toob, E2L, Ra Twisty and 4 extra cells - the screeners did make a comment though and asked me if I'm afraid of the dark :rolleyes:
I only carry for flights a simple Energizer, double barrel 4AAA with krypton bulb with adjustable focus. I traveled all over the world with it and never once had they ever said anything about it. If they steal it(or sorry confis-take it), no big loss. In my baggage on trips, I used the same type of Energizer, double barrel 8AA and same story, if they confis-take or it lost in baggage while in their possession, no big loss. I've actually had my luggage been cut open as I find it when I picked it up at the luggage pickup. Nothing ripped, as my cameras were with me. Like others have mentioned, you surely will meet some really totally ignorant, hateful SOB's and you never know.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Came back from China, not one word about any of my 4 lights, and my LD01 didn't set off the metal detector, but a pack of milano cookies in the foil wrapper did...:confused:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
There wasn't any problem. The last time I went through, they took a quick look inside my bag and swabbed it. I assume for explosives residue. Just a minute delay, then they let me through.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
E2D LED Defender & LX2 - Allowed on planes?

I doubt the defender is, what about the LX2?

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
Re: E2D LED Defender & LX2 - Allowed on planes?

Actually I took my defender to Barcelona earlier this year, it went through security just fine (my E2D L was holstered and in my messenger bag). I was at SFO, CA.

YMMV. When I was at that Paris Airport (forgot whether it was orly or charles de gaulle), they took my carabiner saying it could be used as a weapon, but allowed me to take on two bottles of wine which in actuality could do even more damage to a person...so *shrug*.

Last edited:

travelinman

Enlightened

Depends entirely on the airport/airline. I was told in S. America that I couldn't put anything with a Li Ion battery in my packed luggage, but I could take it carry on. The reason was that if it exploded and caught fire, it would be easier to put out in a carry on bag than if it was packed away in the luggage compartment. Makes sense I guess if you believe a Li Ion cell can explode all by itself.
Going to Europe, nobody cared except to comment on how bright the ITP C9 was and how much did it cost. (they made me turn it on)

henry1960

Enlightened

If you take it apart i could see no reason they would not exept it on your routine trip on the plane :rock:

greenLED

Flashaholic

Just flew internationally (outbound from US, hitting DFW, MIA, and my int'l destination) with a little over 50x123 cells (packed in a small cardboard box) in my carry-on.

No issues.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been hassled by airport security specifically for flashlights but once at Munich airport, they decided to go through all my stuff in minute detail for no apparent reason. The guy thought it would be a good idea to stare directly into my A19 XR-E and switch it on. Hahahaha that took him by surprise!

Kremer

Enlightened
On my last trip I was pulled aside at Xray and TSA wanted to look in my jacket pocket. All was fine, the guy said it looked on the screen that there was a flashlight with a knife blade stuck on the side of it or concealed inside. It must have been the slots and flat faces on the body of my JET-III ST in a weird position with my jacket piled in the bin. He pulled the tailcap, slid the 18650 out, looked inside and carefully put it back together for me while saying "this looks like a very nice light" Then he turned it on, fortunately not pointing at his face. He had it aimed at the stainless blacksplash of the inspection station and the reflection got him anyway "Woa, dangit!" the next agent over saw the flash and heard his reaction and chuckled pretty loudly "hahaha, did you blind yourself again?" They both laughed and I moved on.