Ever had members of your household use you lights without asking...

arjay

Newly Enlightened
I know a lot of y'all will know what I mean. Good thing we don't have kids around, otherwise I'll be in bigger trouble. I actually gave everyone a E01 to put in their keyrings but they tell me they wanted something bigger and brighter for around the house use. The E21 was the consensus with it's simple UI, bright enough low and eneloops compatibility.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I actually don't mind when the family uses my lights. I feel I am doing my part to raise the next generation of flashaholics and maybe convert some others. The problem I have is when they don't put them back where they got em. Drives me crazy.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I like the idea of removing batteries from all the lights you don't want them to use (I'd also make those batteries difficult to get at) plus leaving the one/s you DO want them to use sitting around easy to get to (and with rechargeable batteries in them). Effective way to get the result you want without needing to lay the law down and making yourself unpopular.

arjay's idea of 12 user lights scattered around everywhere makes it easy to just grab a light when you need it - the only problem I can see is having so many identical lights it will be easy for 3 or 4 to be mislaid without anyone noticing immediately, and by the time you go looking whoever mislaid the light may have forgotten where they left it.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also make those batteries difficult to get at

While not in the same sense as how you meant it, but still to the point...I found my L91 stash broken into one day...and found them being used in my daughters Wii controllers...it wouldn't be AS bad, but she leaves it on 24hrs a day, 7-days a week...yeah, I've talked about it, and talked about, but, it's an uphill battle, and I've lost the will to fight...so, now my "reserves" are well hidden/inacessible.

I actually don't mind if my boys use my low-power/rc Surefires...they play with my Lx's/ExL's/6P-R/G2-R's ALL the time...the have yet to break or seriously damage one...so, if I don't want them to break my "users", they get my SF's :0).

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
My wide told me that shet had used my Catapult to look under her car seat for someting that she lost. I'm suprised it didn't blind her.

Larbo

Enlightened
Yes the 2 older boys will use a light now and then, they also have access to the "house light" thats a 6P with a M61W dropin.
My oldest has a Ti Illumina aaa keychain light that he carries with him all the time.

mcstew

Newly Enlightened
i keep a 6p in a drawer by the back door that is used at will by my wife, but she doesn't touch any of my other lights. i make sure that she knows where they all are, but she doesn't have much interest. maybe i'm lucky :thumbsup:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week my brother used my ReVO SS and didn't turn it off afterwards. Later that day I had to look at my car in the dark and found out that the batteries were empty :ironic:.

rayman

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next time you watch TV check the commercials for any male character portrayed as a simpleton. How much respect does anyone (either gender) get these days?

Are there many folks here who actually expect their lights or tools to be left alone when there's anyone else living in their house?

Seriously, most children, neighbors, and spouses have the attitude of "Oh they won't mind, they've got so many..." They don't ask, they don't return items, and they think that every tool in the box is the same as the others (Ya mean ya shouldn't use a torque wrench to loosen a rusted bolt? Ya shouldn't use the sterling silver tableware to tighten a screw?).

Just because you have a set of tools or a few lights for different tasks they think they are all the same. Who couldn't better use that "replacement fund" money for their retirement or at least the beer fund? (Gosh, there are times I miss drinking).

Do NOT spend a lot of money on lights for the family. Buying most children or spouses their own lights or tools is just postponing yours going missing until they lose the one you bought them so you're out even more money. Being nice only goes so far. Being nasty gets you nowhere.

Is it any wonder the divorce rates are so high? Respect in the home is mostly a thing of the past. Keep your lights and tools under lock and key or on your person. Being polite doesn't work very often. I love most people but I do not trust more than a handful of them.

H-Man

Enlightened
Do like I did and buy everyone in your family a light that meets their needs and they won't bother yours. :whistle:
Problem is they won't actually use it. It will end up in a closet with leaking cells, and I'm not going to risk eneloops on them.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I found that scattering my old Mini-mags with 3 x 5mm LED conversions all over the house in easy to find places greatly reduced the MIAs from my flashlight storage box. It didn't stop it all, but it helps distract the grandkids. I do remember my wife using my nightstand light, a Z2 with an Malkoff M60, to look at my son's throat one morning. She couldn't see a thing, too bright. I found her something more suitable and found a more discreet home for the Z2.

chnzwh

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 6P and a G3 for family use so that they won't touch my EDC lights. Before that, everytime when people need light they just ask me to get my Surefire. :shakehead

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind my wife using my lights, she knows which ones are super bright and which ones are more suitable for indoor use.
What I do hate is when she doesn't put them back !

The other night I got home from work at midnight, she was already asleep, and my Novatac was missing from the bedside table, I spent 10 minutes looking around the house before finding it on her bedside table.
Most lights I wouldn't mind, but the Novatac was my edc for 5 years and has a lot of good memories attached to it.

brianbucar

Newly Enlightened
no one really uses lights at my house but me. the worst my wife does is "clean up" my lights and batteries and put them in a basket as im a clutter bug.

friends always want to use them to look at things on cars or to diagnose a problem. mine are all cheap lights (<20$) so i dont care.

Brian