Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

ven

Flashaholic
Still enjoy the oldies, my overall fav is the 320lm luxeon T sc62d

Yes, the 62d is still my fav as well!
icon14.gif

Its crazy isn't it, maybe the lowest output 18650 ZL, but I just love the beam,colour temp and tint. I rarely use H1, mostly H2's 145lm level. I might have to get another! That Philips luxeon T 85cri is real nice. I would like to try the xml2 easy white as well at some point, just hard to find(don't care for the later xpl2 easywhite).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find most 18650 lights too large for EDC, but I like small lights for that. But if you really want an 18650 EDC, then the Zebralight SC64 would be hard to beat, as others have mentioned. Small, bright, good quality, great UI.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Ti-BOSS70 has been working really well for me these days ....

I'll join in on this. Major kudos to Oveready on the Titanium BOSS project. It's been my EDC 18650 light since its release. [emoji123]🏻[emoji123]🏻[emoji123]🏻[emoji41]

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H600Fw with pocket clip.
It's a MK II, an H600Fc MK IV might well be even better.

Scourie

Enlightened
For me, EDC is a Eagtac DX30R with the led swapped for a de-domed xp-g2. Tint is great, approx 700 lumens and 35k lux at max, in a slim form factor.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those of you who pocket carry a Zebralight, how do you prevent it from turning on in your pocket?

I've got an SC51W that I bought several years ago and the side clicky is way too exposed for pocket carry. Have they corrected this in current models?

--flatline

ven

Flashaholic
When i carry mine flatline, i simply undo tail cap a few mm if its not going to be used anytime soon. By that, normal carry, if i am using it, pocketing, then using again, i wont lock out. Touch wood, never had an issue with the side switch, even ones more susceptible than the ZL's switch. Just lock out on the cap, usually its not even a 1/4 turn.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the sc64w. For its size, weight, output and ui it's hard to imagine a better edc flashlight.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the BOSS, albeit in aluminium (lighter than Ti, cheaper and just as good in real life). The ability to bounce between 35mm and 70mm bodies is a lovely bonus.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Favorite and my everyday user has been my Streamlight 2L-X with a nitecore low temp 2900mah. It's real dark at night around my place and it gets real cold. That combo runs so long and it throws as far as I can shoot at night so it's all I need to use, so I do.

I will use the HL-X sometimes if I want more throw. When I'm doing serious searching it's the nitecore MT40GT.

The atreamlights run so long, I'm not interested in anything else. My olights and nitecore lights run long too. Fenix lights I've owned (all given away now) don't run anywhere near as long and that's more important to me than other specs or cool guy factors. The 2L-X though, can't be beat. It just runs and runs and runs bright and don't get hot. It's not a paper spec scorcher but as a user, it rides in my pocket where ever I go. Sometimes I'll slap the Nitecore MT10A in it's place. It runs long for an AA/14500 light, and it's bright.

davemp

Newly Enlightened
I would have to second the Streamlight ProTac HL-X & 2L-X. They both run a long time compared to other lights. However, for a small 18650 EDC, I think it's hard to beat the Olight S2. It's pretty small at 4" long. The 950 lumens is only good for 2min. and then steps down to 500 lumens for 2 hrs. At 400 lumens it runs for 4hrs. and the other brightness levels are very useful. It's a nice compact light...davemp

Climb14er

Enlightened
My favorite 18650 light and fave ZL light is the SC 62cw. Great combo of throw and flood, small, lightweight, thin and can use many types of batteries. My SC 600 original gets a lot of inner house lighting, use as a candle to illuminate front bay window and kitchen, in medium mode. The 62cw is my carry and travel light with spare batteries.

ven

Flashaholic
My favorite 18650 light and fave ZL light is the SC 62cw. Great combo of throw and flood, small, lightweight, thin and can use many types of batteries. My SC 600 original gets a lot of inner house lighting, use as a candle to illuminate front bay window and kitchen, in medium mode. The 62cw is my carry and travel light with spare batteries.

I have recently managed to get an sc62 (to go with my 62d) and am happy with it. Although i prefer the more neutral temps, for a cool 6300k its nice. Pretty pure/clean in tint.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm REALLY confused. LOLOL

I'll just buy one and see if I can figure it out... all I want is L, M, H. If I have trouble I know who to contact. ;)

One thing to understand about the Zebralight interface is that it's actually something like 4+ Layers of extremely simple and intuitive interface, rather than one super confusing interface...

-Click on (high), click off.

Hold down from off OR on cycles through low, med, high, repeating til you let off the switch.

That's where a basic knowledge of the light UI could end, and it would be a great light.

Then there's more:

Double click from off takes you to med.
Double click from on cycles between 1&2 of each mode.
- so you've got 6 levels if you want that, or only 3 levels if you already like the secondary options selected for your 3 modes.
- repeatedly double clicking a mode brings you to the place where you select the 2nd sub mode...
the lumens numbers are nice but focus on the projected runtimes and what your eyes see with the light rather than lumens numbers.

Three clicks from off takes you into the blinky modes,

While four clicks from off takes you to the battery check mode.

... now with the newer generation they've created two extra super groups that let you completely scramble their defaults if you like, but you only need to go there if you care to.

Regardless, the basic functions remain: click once for on and off, and hold down to scroll thru low, med, high, repeating til you release the switch.

I handed down an older H52Fw to a friend, showed him how to use the light in about ten seconds; mentioned that it had more sub levels if he ever wanted to fine tune it later,
that high would run for an hour or so and that med would run all day,
and low for a week or so... and that he'd get considerably better performance from NiMH than alkaline,
he was off and running.

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
The light that's always in my jacket pocket is a Jaxman E2L triple xp-g3 90 CRI 4000k. I love throwy lights too, but find the more floody triple more practical for close to medium distances. Triple gives me great output and efficiency. Zebralight is also highly recommended and model will depend on beam and tint preference.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Yet another vote for the Zebralight SC64w. I keep mine from turning on in a pocket by: 1) keeping it in a Ripoffs holster when not in use; and 2) twisting the tailcap counterclockwise a half-turn.