Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
My favorite is my Eagletac DX30 LC2 sr. Has a neutral XP-L hi main and a very nice nichia 229b mule on the side. Very useful, built in charging. If I could only carry one light, this would be my choice!

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy S2+ AP XP-L HI V3-3B from Randy at PFlexPro.

orV4vRt.jpg

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've been very pleased with the performance of my Fenix PD35-Tac for the last year and a half. Great customer service from Fenix too.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry the SC62 clipped in my left front pocket for 3 years now. 1,000 lumens with a great and flexible user interface. And, right now, they are on sale at Zebralight for $59.00. If I didn't already have one, I would jump on this in a heartbeat. Don't know how long that will last. Did I mention only $59.00? regularly $85.00. I know the new SC64 is 1600 lumens, but it is $79.00, and to be honest 600 lumens at the top end is not a whole lot brighter than 1,000 lumens for practical purposes. I love my SC62. In fact I love all my Zebralights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a 62w and a 64 but at $59 I'm tempted to buy a 62! That is one hell of a EDC for that price. Big advantage taking just about any kind of 18650.

Taz80

Enlightened
I have two favorites and I usually carry both, a SC62w and P200LC2 nw.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I like the Malkoff MD2. I only buy Malkoff, Elzetta, Surefire, or Maglite though, so I am not familiar with any other brands. I put the clip on it, and often use the lanyard too.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an MG S-mini that I loved, but I lost it several years ago. I have not found an 18650 light that I liked as much, but I haven't really looked very hard. My most used 18650 light right now is the Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo ring. It's heavy, but I like everything else about it.

--flatline

Jasonbell1987

Newly Enlightened
Only been carrying it for a couple months but I would say my HDS HiCRI Rotary is by far my favorite 18650. I was skeptical of the "meager" 200lm but it is plenty for all of my daily tasks. Plus the rotary is a great method for lumen selection.

caled

Newly Enlightened
Most mornings, I walk early to a local espresso shop to drink coffee with a group of other old guys.

We work on solving the world's problems. (as you can see, we haven't been doing that well recently).

Anyway, I walk across a park to the coffee shop, and often it's dark.

In the winter I carry an single cell 18650 light. I have a number to choose from, but all are low cost imports. By low cost, I mean under $10.

I've had good luck with these low cost lights.

Several have been used for years.

I carry them in my jacket pocket, and keep one in each of the jackets I use.

In the summer, I carry one of the 14500 single cell lights in a pocket in my cargo shorts.

The AA size battery lights weigh less and don't bang on my leg as I walk.

Last edited:

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Currently SC600W IV HI, great tiny flashlight

In summer I'll carry a SC5W II, it's very hot and sunny here so I don't want to mess with li-ion cells

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently got a quad 219CT Emisar D4, which is substantially smaller than my SC600cw. After that, it's a 3Tronics (now defunct) that Ven had made for me, utilizing a Convoy S2+, LD-2 driver board and 3 XP-L HI V3 LEDs. I use an 18350 in that, but stick with a VTC-5A in the Emisar, even though I have the 18350 body.

There's just a lot of light coming out of those two that they're a bit more handy for EDC purposes. I don't need a billion modes.

Chris

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S2+ AP XP HI V3-3B from Randy at PFlexPro.

I have a Nichia version in 18650 with Advanced Programming that I really like. Randy makes a great light, and I have two 18350 models as well.

The Advanced Programming gives almost unlimited flexibility in modes choices. I just got one of his lights with an illuminated switch that is really functional. His lights won't break the bank either, but are feature packed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently SC600W IV HI, great tiny flashlight

Totally agree. Great outdoor light.

In summer I'll carry a SC5W II, it's very hot and sunny here so I don't want to mess with li-ion cells

Huh??? 18650 cells are generally listed as having a safe operating temperature from -20C to +75C. If you're worried about your summer heat, I don't want to live where you do! :eek:

That said, the SC5w is a great 1xAA light. Though run-time is pretty short if you use it on the highest output much.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Totally agree. Great outdoor light.

Huh??? 18650 cells are generally listed as having a safe operating temperature from -20C to +75C. If you're worried about your summer heat, I don't want to live where you do! :eek:

That said, the SC5w is a great 1xAA light. Though run-time is pretty short if you use it on the highest output much.

I use the SC600w as a multi purpose light, It has a big spill that lights up a very big area and a average sized hotspot that gives you some throw but not disturbing in small areas. For me it has the perfect beam and tint, without any tint shift through the beam and with around 4500-4700k

Here at summer we usually are at +40ºC, but if you leave a flashlight under the sun it can perfectly reach +70º. It's ok if you don't left the light under the sun but I prefer to carry an NIMH light and don't worry about it, days are very long so I'm ok with the short runtime compared to the 18650 light

Keitho

Enlightened
To those of you who pocket carry a Zebralight, how do you prevent it from turning on in your pocket?

I've got an SC51W that I bought several years ago and the side clicky is way too exposed for pocket carry. Have they corrected this in current models?

--flatline
I think the more recent ones have a better switch (never owned a sc51, so I don't know for sure). I've never had my EDC sc63 or SC64 turn on in my front pants pocket; I don't bother to unscrew the tailcap.

Latest posts