Fenix TK-70

Shikar

Newly Enlightened
I will buy it. It will make for a fun spotlight roaming the ranch!!

Regards.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will buy it (after giving it some time for me to save some spare ca$h and for them to get through the early batches of greener tinted XM-L's and into the nicer tints)... I'm glad it runs on 4 x D NiMH cells like my old 4D LED Mag. I have a 2 x 18650 light in the form of the TK35, but I'm glad this one has 4 x D's. I think it gives a good heft to a light, and in an emergency they are in any service station or supermarket. Nice one Fenix.

Rod911

Enlightened
If I do get it, I would use one of those 2-AA to D-cell adaptors, with 4000mAh (assuming using eneloops) of power available compared to the 9500mAh in dedicated D sized nimh cells. I have plenty of AAs and adaptors, so I could have some spare cells readily available should I need them.

Note that I already power a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme lantern this way.

Richub

Enlightened
My idea is: The XM-L emitters are not 'brand new' anymore, so the tint should be getting better and better now.

If Fenix uses the newest batches of XM-L emitters in their TK70 lights, the tint should therefor be better than the earlier batches of XM-Ls used in the first TK35s, TK21s and TK41s.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Not to sure why members do not post their location but I will take it you are aware I am talking about prices in Australia. Yes if I shop around or wish to deal with a "unknown" supplier I might get some better prices but dealing with any of the reputable suppliers in Australia I usually deal with the prices are generally $39.95 (Even on Ebay from Australian Suppliers) for 2 x Powerexx Imedion LSD 9500 MAH D there fore the best part of $80 without any postage etc so my $100 guesstimate is about on the mark. If I choose to purchase on line from USA etc I can buy 4 x high capacity D cells for $20 but then postage is the killer and still not much better off. Then with a decent charger and he presto you are approaching SR90 costs.

In either case the TK70 appears to be reasonable value for money, I just could not justify another purchase of a 2000+ lumen light (SWMBO is still beating me up over my SR90 purchase :twak: )

If You don't have the high quality rechargeables and charger, it will be far cheaper to buy D-Size batteries in bulk. In Germany, 4 good rechargeables and the charger will cost something around 65€ (90US$). At the same shop i can buy a pack of 100 Duracell for 90€.
The environment won't be happy, but we have good recycling of batteries if You bring them to any store which sells them (almost every supermarket).

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
batteryjunction.com has the tk70 for sale right now it appears.
I like the look of that combo with the Titanium smart charger and 4 x 10K D-cells...
I want to buy it. But first I want to know, if that nasty greenish tint is gone.
Ditto. But I think it's true the XM-L emitter is maturing in the market a little now, and some better tints are coming through. My TK35 certainly has no green tint to it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to buy the TK70, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of the light, batteries, and new charger. It's an interesting idea to convert AA's to D cells, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with less capacity than real D cells.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to buy the TK70, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of the light, batteries, and new charger. It's an interesting idea to convert AA's to D cells, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with less capacity than real D cells.
A lot more effort has gone into AA cell design in the last decade than has gone into rechargeable D cell design (no doubt because the market is so much larger). the result is often 3 x AA cells have nearly the same Amp Hour Capacity as a single D cell, and often the 3 AA cells will cost considerable less than a similar quality D cell. Either way the internal resistance is likely to be very low, so either option should support the high current demand.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Two parallel Eneloops in a cheap Adapter from DX give You a little bit less than half the capacity of good D-Cell Rechargeables.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will definitely buy it, or I am not a flashaholic. I've been promising for over 6 months now that the next light I buy needs to be 1000 lumens and up (and I bought like 4 or 5 since). I wasn't expecting much more than 1000 lumens when I said that, so I have the moral obligation to buy it. Then I can go to the field close by and turn it into a stadium :devil:.

firelord777

Enlightened
I EDC my Fenix TK41 in my pocket, but judging from the size, maybe a size bigger short may fit it? :D

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
Well, I pulled the trigger on the TK70....and the wife will pull the trigger when she finds out I bought another flashlight(especially over $200). I suppose I better hide my weapons...especially while I am sleeping. I can't wait to get this light and I hope I won't be let down with the claimed lumen output.

Last edited:

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Well, I pulled the trigger on the TK70....and the wife will pull the trigger when she finds out I bought another flashlight.
damn,you've got the TK70 on your hand? still waiting some pictures and beamshots.
I didn't see the TK70 listed on anyother website...is this too good to be true?
i guess the the other tk70 is still on the way,

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably to early, more shops will list it when we get closer to the release date.

damn,you've got the TK70 on your hand? still waiting some pictures and beamshots.

i guess the the other tk70 is still on the way,

Batteryjunction does have it listed, but they don't actually HAVE it... The site states shipping will be in 1-2 weeks...

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two parallel Eneloops in a cheap Adapter from DX give You a little bit less than half the capacity of good D-Cell Rechargeables.

TK70 draws around 10A in the highest mode so I don't think that you could use AA cells in cheap DX adapters with high resistance.