Fenix TK-70

xed888

Enlightened
Bro, unfortunately nobody has tried whether the regular TK70 can accept 2 Li Co cells which would be 8.4V fully charged....ie whether or not it is the same driver in your TK70S.

I know Ergotelis is going to try Li Co. One other is trying the Ultrafire 3.0V LiFePO4 which should be ok.

2 Li-ion cells work. I have tried it on a normal TK70, so there's no problem. I have used a spacer and 2 Ultrafire C cells as I didnt want to buy D cells

ljw2k

Enlightened
the KD cells are quite expensive though, US$17 each. sigh

$17 too expensive for batteries and your flashlight was about $200 come on mate no good trying to scrimp & scape on feeding it what it deserves, your comment is like saying you have a ferrari and want to put milk in it.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bro, unfortunately nobody has tried whether the regular TK70 can accept 2 Li Co cells which would be 8.4V fully charged....ie whether or not it is the same driver in your TK70S.

TK70S has just the extra 2D tube. Driver is the same...

Enlightened
TK70S has just the extra 2D tube. Driver is the same...

I really hope that is true, as operating with 2 x 32600 + 1 dummy and positioning the 2 cells at the tailcap end really balances it perfectly and the main tube length w/o the extender perfectly balances the light. Better than main tube + extender.

But I will wait for confirmation from another guy who purchased the 2 cells and hope he will report soon.

Awww shucks....that means i wasted 52 bucks on getting 4 Tenergy NiMHs from batteryjunction!

Enlightened
Seriously, $17 x 2 for the Li Co = $34 shipped and $52 for Tenergy shipped, then i'd prefer the former. And besides Ultrafire WF-188 is cheaper ($13 shipped at Manafont), anyway you can use magnets if you don't have the WF-188. If you really wanna save you can get $20 for the pair of Ultrafire 3.0V 26650 and get some PVC sleeves or roll some cardboard. HKequipment sells the light at $183 shipped and he has the dummy adapters inside, so actually you are good to go for just over $200. :D

But then let ergotelis report whether his IMRs can work in the light.

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Seriously, $17 x 2 for the Li Co = $34 shipped and $52 for Tenergy shipped, then i'd prefer the former. And besides Ultrafire WF-188 is cheaper ($13 shipped at Manafont), anyway you can use magnets if you don't have the WF-188. If you really wanna save you can get $20 for the pair of Ultrafire 3.0V 26650 and get some PVC sleeves or roll some cardboard. HKequipment sells the light at $183 shipped and he has the dummy adapters inside, so actually you are good to go for just over $200. :D

But then let ergotelis report whether his IMRs can work in the light.

With the 3.0V cells, you need a hobby charger, don't you? A normal 3.7V charger wont terminate at 3.0V or?

By the way, I have also tried 26500 IMRs and they work with the light.

Last edited:

Enlightened
With the 3.0V cells, you need a hobby charger, don't you? A normal 3.7V charger wont terminate at 3.0V or?

By the way, I have also tried 26500 IMRs and they work with the light.

You can use a Ultrafire WF-188 (13 bucks) which charges 26650/32600/32650 etc....and select the lower voltage termination setting. Yes hobby chargers will do too, and seriously every serious flashlight enthusiast should have them, because they do not let you have options to charge (slow, fast via current etc...) they also let you test the cells. You can discharge test and see which cells match etc.....load of fun. Operating 3S1P shouldn't be fearful.

Bro, ok thanks for the information. So now we have good info that it does work. Can wait for ergotelis to report back as well. :D

Edit : Too late, fingers too fast, ordered 2 pcs of the 5Ah cells. :D

Last edited:

oatmanutd

Newly Enlightened
Last night my friend and I (we both used TK70s) test KD32600 3.7V 5000mAh and UltraFire BRC 32600 3.0V 4000mAh
only different we can see is the lowest mode KD32600 3.7V 5000mAh is brighter another 3 mode are almost the same

uknewbie

Banned
Just did a runtime test on Turbo using 4 x 10Ah AccuEvolution LSD cells. About a year old, cycled a few times.

Lasted 63 minutes before dropping to High mode. I could turn it back to Turbo manually, but dropped again within seconds.

I, like I think many, took Fenix's claim of 110 minutes on Turbo (2200 lumens), to mean it would run at Turbo (2200 lumens) for 110 minutes :duh2:

Doesn't really matter to me, but will for some. Fenix should be clearer, this is obviously going to mislead people as is.

Oh, and if left sitting without a fan during this, this thing gets HOT!

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I think their Turbo run time measurement is misleading, it does comply with ANSI measurements. However, I think their claim of 130,000cd for beam intensity (throw) is completely and totally false. I have a light known to be about 60,000 lux @ 1m and I have to really use my imagination to see the TK70 out throw it. If I had to guess, I would put the TK70 at about 70,000cd at best which is nowhere near the claim of 130,000cd.

They did the same thing with the TK41 claiming 56kcd (or so) while it is maybe 35k cd. I think Fenix is playing games with their numbers.

I am going to run some tests in a few days to get the true accurate number for intensity. I guarantee it is nowhere near 130,000 lux @ 1m.

Enlightened
tre, no it is definitely not 130k. I got 85-87k but that's on a DX meter which usually under-reads about 7-10%. Fonarik website got a TK70 thread in the forum and its 90k. Ergotelis got 100k. So its ard there.

Beamshots http://fonarik.com/test/?model=219&scene=1&mode=0

One WARNING : The Kaidomain cells are unprotected and are of considerable size. Pls make sure you know the dangers of Li Co and the dangers of cells when reverse charged or shorted out. This happens when cells are unmatched in capacity, driver shorted out due to fault, or the user just doesn't care about safety and is lazy to take voltage readings before using the light, or after discharging the light. If you follow strict Li Co handling SOP and do readings conscientiously, i don't see any issue. But it is not charge and use and forget kind of cell chemistry, esp at 5Ah and since you purchased from Kaidomain which has gotten it from an unknown source and is generally untested.

If you are a novice, please use NiMH.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
tre, no it is definitely not 130k. I got 85-87k but that's on a DX meter which usually under-reads about 7-10%. Fonarik website got a TK70 thread in the forum and its 90k. Ergotelis got 100k. So its ard there.

Wow, 100k lux @ 1 meter. I'd be really surprised if the light even does that. Did Ergotelis measure at 1 meter (which would make the results inaccurate) or more than 5 meters and calculate back to 1 meter (to get an accurate reading)?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Hi tre, all measurements are taken@4meters and calculated back to 1m(would go even further but i need second person to be see!), if you check my other readings, you could say that this number look like to be ok, at least in comparison to the other flashlights i have(tk35,catapult etc)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! you answer fast. The other lights you measured do look to be in line with what I'd expect. I will take some measurements of the TK70 at 5m in the next few days. I also have an M3C4 XML and M3X so I can compare with your measurements. I'll throw some modded XML lights in there too.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK70 movies beamshots.

BICK

Thanks for that video bickford

The TK70 seems to hold up surprisingly well against the polarion.
Polarion still has the edge in output and throw but it's not a million miles away. The Fenix is rated with OTF lumens and the polarion is bulb lumens BTW.

ergotelis

Enlightened
wow! you answer fast. The other lights you measured do look to be in line with what I'd expect. I will take some measurements of the TK70 at 5m in the next few days. I also have an M3C4 XML and M3X so I can compare with your measurements. I'll throw some modded XML lights in there too.

Well it happens sometimes that i am online i get notifications on some threads :D

It would be nice, just measure these led flashlights and tell me how do they compare!