Fenix TK-70

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I let my TK70 run for a long while on the counter so I could test how hot it got (which is not so hot you'll burn yourself unless you try to hold the head like it's a contest) and it ran for more than half an hour on turbo before I figured I was finished with my test.

rich05uk

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

This is my first post here, my visit to candlepower forums was to do some research on both the Fenix TK70 & the Olight SR92 as I want to buy my first ever high powered flashlight. After reading this thread I think I'm sold on the TK70, but Just to be sure and before I part with my hard earned cash………….

Which one should I go for, I like the fact that the Olight is rechargeable and has a power gauge built in but don't like that it only has 2 power levels. In comparison I like the additional power levels you get with the Fenix but don't like that there isn't any way to tell how much battery power remains so unless you carry a separate battery tester or spare batteries in your pocket, you could be left suddenly stranded in the dark, I'm also not sure about having to remove the batteries every time to recharge as I will need to recharge the batteries every day, 7 days a week in the winter, will the torch withstand years of being taken apart and put back together again daily to recharge the batteries?

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated, perhaps you are aware of another torch other than these 2, if I could get the Olight SR92 with a few more power levels I'd probably go with that without hesitation, not too bothered about the price difference.

I'm also i
ntrigued after reading this thread, the TK70s, can somone confirm if you get the 2D tube as a bonus extra to the standard 3D tube and 1D extender, ultimately giving you more battery options than the standard TK70, why would anyone buy the TK70 over the TK70s?

Finally, I read through this thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?309280-AccuEvolution-D-Cells-quality-gone and now I'm unsure if I buy the TK70 which batteries & charger to get, looks like there are no good D cells on the market at the moment, even the good brands have let us down, any advice? I want to place my order in the next few days but could use any advice you experienced lot can give me….

If it makes a difference on what I can buy, I'm from the UK

Thanks all and great thread.

Richard.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]I'm also not sure about having to remove the batteries every time to recharge as I will need to recharge the batteries every day, 7 days a week in the winter, will the torch withstand years of being taken apart and put back together again daily to recharge the batteries?[...]

:welcome:

I'm a little curious as to what application you need 2200 lumens for on a daily basis? This light is brighter than my car headlights on turbo - even on high - and I have the brightest lights you can get before going HID. The lower modes on the TK70 last for VERY long and I have a hard time imagining you would need to recharge daily unless you're using turbo for over an hour a day... but to answer your question, the threads seem very durable, although anything taken apart daily will show some wear after a few years. Weekly lubrication would help there.

I have AccuPower 10 000 mAh cells and I'm very satisfied with them. To go with that I have the Titanium smart charger and also very satisfied with it.

rich05uk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome Cataract.....

I'm a little curious as to what application you need 2200 lumens for on a daily basis? This light is brighter than my car headlights on turbo - even on high - and I have the brightest lights you can get before going HID. The lower modes on the TK70 last for VERY long and I have a hard time imagining you would need to recharge daily unless you're using turbo for over an hour a day...

I walk between 2-3 hours a day with my dogs after work, I live in the middle of nowhere and so no artificial light to be seen other than from my flashlight. I have to walk on single track roads where you will probably see only 1 car in several hours but often none at all, but on that odd occasion you do see a car which is often zooming round the corner at speed, you will probably have a near miss from being struck down, they simply don't see you in the dark from around a corner. I have had some experience with my cycling lights which are almost 2000lumens and have noticed how cars edge round the corner because they see my light coming towards them, I want to re-create that with a good solid handheld flashlight whilst out walking, I usually use a 4D Mag so I'm use to the size and prefer a larger flashlight than something you can fit in a pocket. So, I will probably run it on high for upto 3 hours with the occasional burst on turbo, especially when I'm looking for my dogs in the few fields I let them loose in and cant call them back. :grin2:

I have AccuPower 10 000 mAh cells and I'm very satisfied with them. To go with that I have the Titanium smart charger and also very satisfied with it.

When did you buy these, the thread I pointed you to in my previous post demonstrates how someone who owned some older AccuPower Evolution D Cells where very happy with them too, but on buying some new ones found that they did not perform anywhere near as good as his old Cells, in fact a number of people have reported they appear to have a different appearance too, as well as performing very badly which concerns me if I'm about to buy some new Cells as they dont appear to be as good as they used to be? :(

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Lol.

My daily application for my tk70 on turbo is to:

- turn it on in my dark bedroom and ceiling bounce it.
- laugh like an idiot as my wife walks into the room, rolls her eyes, grabs whatever stuff she needs and gets the heck out.

:naughty:

- that and once every couple of days light up the neighborhood from my back porch and get people thinking "who the hell has a spotlight around here!?" - while i'm in my housecoat and underwear breathing in the cool night air.

- or when I walk my mini shorthair daschund around the block. The tk70 is almost bigger than her ... I use the turbo mode to shine down the block for the heck of it and make other people think twice on what's going on if they are walking in my direction.

Yes, i'm a comedian. :sssh:

Lapetus

Banned
Richard,

What do you intend to do with the light?

I would recommend the Olight, it is higher quality. Also, like you say, the D cell market is terrible when you look for good cells, and there are even fewer GOOD chargers around.

The Fenix will throw farther though. If you need really, really long throw, the SR90 would be better.

What run time do you need?

rich05uk

Newly Enlightened
Richard,

What do you intend to do with the light?

I would recommend the Olight, it is higher quality. Also, like you say, the D cell market is terrible when you look for good cells, and there are even fewer GOOD chargers around.

The Fenix will throw farther though. If you need really, really long throw, the SR90 would be better.

What run time do you need?

I plan on using not just to see but to be seen, by motorists who come flying round corners on the country roads near where I live, when I used to do a lot of cycling with lights of a similar output it worked a treat to slow them down, I've had so many near death experiences in the dark as drivers don't expect to see someone walking towards them in the middle of nowhere on a remote single track road. It will be also very useful for lamping when I go shooting on my neighbors farm, loads of uses really, I'm in the middle of nowhere so it's pitch black, even walking down to my local 1/2 a mile away, I'd take this light with me for sure.

The only problem I have with the Olight is that it only has 2 levels of output, both of which are fairly high and on occasions I would only need (and prefer to use) the lower output modes available on the Fenix.

I'd need something that could run for between 2 - 3 hours at a time.

Why are D Cells so bad these days, even the good well known brands are rubbish now?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
"D Cells so bad these days"? - where does this idea come from? Who is promoting this thought? Where's the proof?

Strange.

This is my take:

there's been a surge in interest in D NiMh cells since the tk70 came out. People like myself bought into it, 4xD Accupower LSD cells and a Maha charger. All in all, the battery and charger setup plus the tk70 is actually significantly cheaper than the Olight. Significantly. Anyways, there quite a few options for D size cells now and I haven't heard anything bad about the form factor ...

The Olight is significantly larger and heavier. People say it's of better "quality build" - sure, I can believe that although it's on faith since i've never handled or owned one. It's got rechargeable battery pack etc ... that's great.

You will pay for it - and at the end of the day I was more impressed with the tk70 that I could use regular D alkalines in a pinch (cheap too), it's smaller (skinnier anyways) and has similar output. The batt pack of the Olight will eventually have to be replaced, that's a fact of life. In 3-5 years when we've all moved on with flashlights I can still use my tk70 most likely ... however, good luck getting a new batt pack for the Olight. I'm not saying you're screwed ... i'm saying that it was future-thinking that moved me towards the tk70.

That's my thought process ... I don't like proprietary stuff (for the most part) as I feel pidgeon-holed into someone's technology and you're tied to the hip to that company to offer that replacement product that you will inevitably need. It's not "if" - it's "when". All in all - that was the deal breaker.

But hey, if someone handed me an Olight sr90 for free or for a massive discount ... i'm not gonna say no.

Raybo

Enlightened
I agree with Bill!

I just recieved my TK70 and just fired it up, here are the good bits.......
I have lots of lights, souped up hot wires, leds, and hids, this light didn't blow me away (because I have about a bizzilon lights?) but it did impress me in a big way.

I LIKE the fact that it uses D cells, you can purchase an extra set of four for $30 (I'm using the Tenergy LSD 8000 mAH cells), an extra "set" for the Olight will set you back $110(?)
It has four levels and the low will last for 6 days(?), this would be good if you are in a bad weather area (low is pretty bright IMHO) and you could also run 3 cells if you don't really need the turbo function.
It puts out a lot of light for a LONG way, i'm use to a lot of light with a wide beam for a shortish distance or....a light that has lots of throw with a "skinny" beam, the TK70 has a WALL of light for a long distance.
As Bill did state, I don't like proprietary stuff either, it's just to creepy IMHO, get the TK70 along with 2 sets of D cells and have a great time with your light! (Cough.....Maha 808M charger :thumbsup:)

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Just got worse.

Threw in alkalines and fired it up. Same kick down after a few seconds. Then, started just turning off. No kick down, just off.

Turned it on and switched to high. Sometimes it will go to turbo and sometimes it will just go off.

Not at all happy.

Suppose ill be contacting batteryjunction next week and see what they can do for me.

Sent via HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Riku

Newly Enlightened
Just got worse.

Threw in alkalines and fired it up. Same kick down after a few seconds. Then, started just turning off. No kick down, just off.

Turned it on and switched to high. Sometimes it will go to turbo and sometimes it will just go off.

Not at all happy.

Suppose ill be contacting batteryjunction next week and see what they can do for me.

Sent via HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Well alkalines don't work very well with the tk70 anyway. They can't handle turbo mode. I have just sent back my second tk70 to the dealer. The first one would only run for 10 seconds on turbo before it stepped down to high and then 10 seconds on high and so on. The dealer confirmed the problem. The replacement worked fine for about 10 to 15 minutes before it just died and refused to light up any more. My batteries are fine and work with other lights (accu evolution old model and tenergy lsd centura). I'm now waiting for my third tk70. I hope that my bad luck will end and the third one will work properly.

Riku

Lapetus

Banned
I plan on using not just to see but to be seen, by motorists who come flying round corners on the country roads near where I live, when I used to do a lot of cycling with lights of a similar output it worked a treat to slow them down, I've had so many near death experiences in the dark as drivers don't expect to see someone walking towards them in the middle of nowhere on a remote single track road. It will be also very useful for lamping when I go shooting on my neighbors farm, loads of uses really, I'm in the middle of nowhere so it's pitch black, even walking down to my local 1/2 a mile away, I'd take this light with me for sure.

The only problem I have with the Olight is that it only has 2 levels of output, both of which are fairly high and on occasions I would only need (and prefer to use) the lower output modes available on the Fenix.

I'd need something that could run for between 2 - 3 hours at a time.

Why are D Cells so bad these days, even the good well known brands are rubbish now?

You need to consider how far you want the light to throw. The SR92 to me seems like a great all round light. Will still throw very far but not like the TK70 or SR90. Most times if not all though I would suggest you don't need it to.

I know the TK70 has a low mode but on a light that size you really don't use it. I would suggest a small second light with a low low if you want that (think Zebralight)

There have been a lot of reports about varying degrees of output and run time with the TK70 depending what batteries are used. Also, don't think the run times are correct. ANSI are run times from on to 10%.

For me, SR92 would win over TK70.

Glowtape

Newly Enlightened
So yeah, I've received my TK70, put some alkalines (Duracell Ultrapower something something) in because I don't have NiMH rechargeables yet, tried it. It appears that it starts in High* mode. Trying to go to Turbo, it stays there for a second and drops back. I haven't been able to get to the Low and Medium modes, since I can't appear to get past Turbo. Is this normal behavior? How long do I have to wait between clicks or should it happen instantly?

*: I thought it was Medium, because it was only little brighter than focus and defocus combined of my Ledlenser P14. And amp read out with my multimeter however told me it was drawing 2A, which I think is High mode? So I guess the throw is eating a lot of the lumens?

Raybo

Enlightened
So yeah, I've received my TK70, put some alkalines (Duracell Ultrapower something something) in because I don't have NiMH rechargeables yet, tried it. It appears that it starts in High* mode. Trying to go to Turbo, it stays there for a second and drops back. I haven't been able to get to the Low and Medium modes, since I can't appear to get past Turbo. Is this normal behavior? How long do I have to wait between clicks or should it happen instantly?

*: I thought it was Medium, because it was only little brighter than focus and defocus combined of my Ledlenser P14. And amp read out with my multimeter however told me it was drawing 2A, which I think is High mode? So I guess the throw is eating a lot of the lumens?

It should cycle through the levels with each click of the of the mode button without any delay.
The first time I powered mine up it started on low if that's any help to you.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
It should cycle through the levels with each click of the of the mode button without any delay.
The first time I powered mine up it started on low if that's any help to you.

Just picked up my TK 70 from the post office Friday night. While waiting for the NiMhs to charge, I stuck in some spare alkaline D cells I keep for the radios (and the kitchen Maglite). The light would only run in "high" mode (don't know if was all 900 lumens) and could not be persuaded to go back down to 20 or 300 lumens. Once I had a charged set of NiMh batteries, all the modes worked. I then tried kicking the TK 70 down to low, taking out the NiMh, and putting in the alkalines. Success-so I thought - except that once you run through the mode settings you can't get past turbo to lower the setting on the light, though you can select both the strobe and SOS mode.

This is a misfeature. It seems to me that if you're desperate enough to use alkalines, you'd probably find the lower modes more economical. 20 or 300 lumens would be quite practical on alkalines and still have a long run time.

I couldn't figure out why alkalines don't work on turbo, till I read on the Energizer web site that a fresh D alkaline cell has an internal resistance of 150 to 300 milliohms. A fresh battery can only put 5 to 10 amps into a short-circuit - so "turbo" mode that uses up to 8 amps, would basically drop most of the battery voltage across their internal resistance, leaving nothing to make lumens with. NiMh have about 20 milliohms internal resistance when charged, so they'd only lose a coupe tenths of a volt on 8 amps discharge.

Now, if Energizer would only make a lithium-iron disulfide D cell , that would be ideal (if it could source 10 amps at reasonable voltage).

Bill

Enlightened
Now, if Energizer would only make a lithium-iron disulfide D cell , that would be ideal (if it could source 10 amps at reasonable voltage).

Bill
There are online sites selling LiFeS2 cells. Seen one flashlight site selling but can't remember where now. If you need the light to sit on a shelve for long periods, then use Li Co 32600s, with a spacer. (eg battery adapter, modified)

Raybo

Enlightened
Just picked up my TK 70 from the post office Friday night. While waiting for the NiMhs to charge, I stuck in some spare alkaline D cells I keep for the radios (and the kitchen Maglite). The light would only run in "high" mode (don't know if was all 900 lumens) and could not be persuaded to go back down to 20 or 300 lumens. Once I had a charged set of NiMh batteries, all the modes worked. I then tried kicking the TK 70 down to low, taking out the NiMh, and putting in the alkalines. Success-so I thought - except that once you run through the mode settings you can't get past turbo to lower the setting on the light, though you can select both the strobe and SOS mode.

This is a misfeature. It seems to me that if you're desperate enough to use alkalines, you'd probably find the lower modes more economical. 20 or 300 lumens would be quite practical on alkalines and still have a long run time.

I couldn't figure out why alkalines don't work on turbo, till I read on the Energizer web site that a fresh D alkaline cell has an internal resistance of 150 to 300 milliohms. A fresh battery can only put 5 to 10 amps into a short-circuit - so "turbo" mode that uses up to 8 amps, would basically drop most of the battery voltage across their internal resistance, leaving nothing to make lumens with. NiMh have about 20 milliohms internal resistance when charged, so they'd only lose a coupe tenths of a volt on 8 amps discharge.

Bill

I was using LSD NIMH cells out of the box, so I guess i'm no help.

RoyJ

Enlightened
Saw some discussions regarding AA cells at the beginning of the thread, but I want a unique setup, and hoping someone can help me out.

I want to cram in 16 eneloops into the 3 cell tube, 4s-4p format. Someone mentioned that 4 eneloops happen to just squeeze into the tube, can someone confirm this please?

4 AA cells placed end to end will be 17.5mm longer than 3 D cells. Does the tailcap of the TK70 have enough space if I get rid of the stock spring? Perhaps I can loosen it a couple turns. Doing so would void the water protection, but I don't need that on my lights.

Now you may be asking why goes through all this. Well, I have AA cells and charger, and don't want to invest in D cells. I also like my lights to have highest energy density (my Mag mods were also 4 cell across). I can go the lazy route and get 4 AA to D cell adapters, but doing so would be horrible for energy density - 8AAs in 4D space, vs 16AAs in 3D space.

So if someone can help me out it'll be much appreciated before I committ to buying!