Fenix TK12

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
if this would of been sold 6-7 months ago. i would of gladly bought one.

btu as i have the tk11 i dont think i need to get another tk style. even if the UI is an advancement in my mind on the tactical field of lights. still easy to use in normal use and option of pre picking the output you think you need next is good. but the option for lower low is one people ask alot too. so big plus for them.

but i do think the ring selector type wit click stops would be more convinient in my use. (and option to pick what the momentary does in each selected mode .. oops, im going back to my ideal flashlight thoughts again.. hhaha sorry)

the clip. isnt that from tk1?
the op reflector from tk10?
not bad idea to bring them back.. but they lost the 18650?

oh thats a bummer. definate miss on my book.

i dont neccessary need cr123 nor 18650s to be fully regulated etc.. but i do like the option of using either one of them if neccessary!

i wouldnt still mind a add-on of 4AA body tube for these kind of lights too.. cr123 18650 or AA with same head.. i just like LEGOs and onmivorous lights.. hahah..

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
225 lumens for 1.5 hours?? No thanks, my TK11R2 does 2.7hrs.

Hunting, camping and outdoor? I think most of us only need low, medium and turbo.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ok, they have stuffed a couple of things from my perspective..

1. They should have used the R2 led (or something newer if it exists..) for a bit more power.

2. Mode changing is a bit complicated. Tail clicky should turn it on/off (which is what they have, so thats good), however, there should only be 3 modes (5ish, 60ish 240ish) and they should be changed by loosening and then tightening the head again (thus head is always tight). It should remember what output mode it was last in (which it does, so again, that is good)

3. I personally prefer the smooth reflector, but I can understand if most people prefer the TK10 styal reflector they would want to keep it like that.

4. They should have kept support for the other batteries (even though I dont use them....)

5. They havnt included the ring so you can get rid of that silly cigar grip thingo!!! AGAIN!! (I sent them an email when I got my TK11 to sook about that lol )

All in all I dont think i'll be buying it.. i'm still hanging out for a smooth reflectored TK40... :p

brett174

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it seems strange that Fenix are flooding the market with all these new flashlights that are pretty much the same.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of liking the UI, it's like the Quark Tactical, except instead of programming the UI like you do with the Quarks, the Fenix has preset modes, which depending on if you feel that the Fenix 3 different presets are to your liking...

Exactly right!

I ordered 2 tactical Quarks (neutral white!) and felt immediately comfortable about the UI. OK, twisting 4 times may seem a little bit complicated, but it ensures you dont activate programming accidentely.

With that UI, I can customize my light as I want, I may even program twice the same brightness if I want a one-mode light. The designer listend to customers and actually thought about what he was doing. Fenix should listen too instead of doing re-packaging of the same old stuff.

Btw, I took part in their awarded questionnaire, won a P1D-CE (why not a Q5?) and have been waiting 6 months to be contacted to get it, my e-mail address was correct and no mail was stuck in the spam filter... :thumbsdow

adept1

Newly Enlightened
It's nicer looking than the TK11 (ugly because of those fins IMO - TK10 much nicer), but no 18650 support?

FAIL.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they can't please everyone by picking one order of levels (some of us will complain if it's low, medium, or high that comes on first), the ability to change that sounds like a good idea. But I wonder why changing modes couldn't have been as simple as choosing one of three different head/bezel positions, instead of:

When the flashlight is in output A:
Screw the flashlight head for selecting the output from A -> B -> A -> B (just like loose -> tighten -> loose -> tighten within 0.5 seconds) to switch to the next mode.

When the flashlight is in output B:
Screw the flashlight head for selecting the output from B -> A -> B -> A (tighten -> loose -> tighten -> loose -> tighten within 0.5 seconds) to switch to the next mode.

Mode sequence: Outdoor mode -> Camping mode -> Hunting mode.

Maybe if it had been simply a matter of turning the head to a certain position, it could be accidentally changed too easily, so the upside is there's no chance of ever being surprised by a strobe this way, if you leave it in camping mode for instance. Also changing modes would be relatively rare anyway, I'd pick the one I like & leave it there. So the complicated action might not be so bad in use. I actually like the idea, & would hope to see it in a smaller non-tactical size in the future.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Yeah, it seems strange that Fenix are flooding the market with all these new flashlights that are pretty much the same.

i share your opinion, looks like Fenix has reached its plateau. :whistle:

or is it the LED technology stabilizing? :confused:

they should have another line of 2xCR123 lights in a leaner package (less weight), TK10, TK11 & TK12 have very similiar design. maybe a TS (Tactical Slim, design)?

i have he T1 & i personally prefer my Pelican M6 which is lighter in weight. unless the TK series has the option to swap the bulb module, that's a very different story.

AusKipper

Enlightened
i share your opinion, looks like Fenix has reached its plateau. :whistle:

or is it the LED technology stabilizing? :confused:

Well, I would say Led technology has stabilized a bit, There isnt much better than the Cree thats in the TK10 still (single die..). I mean there is the R2, but its not a "massive" difference by any stretch of the imagination.

If I had to have a guess at "why" they released the TK12, I would say they listened to their customers like a good company should, and heard that we wanted a lower low. And then incorporated it in some very strange and complicated way!!

What they should have done is gone "oh, they want a lower low" and then just made it a 3 mode light :p (tail clicky on and off, change output by loosening then tightening again just like in the LD01 or L0D)

*edit*
Because I already own the TK10 and TK11, its unlikely I will get the TK12, however, if i was new to the market and looking for a new light, there is a reasonable chance I would buy that over the TK10/11 (assuming the prices are all the same..). It would certainly be a toss up between that and the TK11 R2

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have become more and more of a Fenix fan in the last few years....but no 18650 and no easy switch between 225l and 5 lumens will make me pass on this light...but my resistance to the TA21 is getting lower and lower.

hatman

Enlightened
Re: New TK12

Administrator: You may want to fold this into the previously mentioned thread.

Thanks.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I am definitly NOT interested in this one. Why? Because of the UI: All that twisting of the head to select modes and output. You can get pain and spend hours of twisting the head to get used to such an UI and get to know how many movements to do for finding the correct output.

Fenix did a good approach for tactical lights with the TA20, they just need some output adjustment and need to replace the selector-ring to the tailcap.

I will buy no new light that won't support full one-handed-operation and simple UI!

Just my 2 ct.

Regards,

Stephan

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked out the Fenix website regarding the UI for the TK12.....
YUK!!! Too complicated, doesn't make any logical sense. Not intuitive at all.:confused:
Pass.

James....

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fairly upset by the TK12, I hoped that it may grow on me... but unfortunately each time i look at it, I like it less :sigh:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I just checked out the Fenix website regarding the UI for the TK12.....
YUK!!! Too complicated, doesn't make any logical sense. Not intuitive at all.:confused:

I do not understand that, it has same UI as TK10 and TK11, tight head is one level, loose head is another level.

But as an extra, you can select between 3 groups of high/low levels, just tight/loose the head a couple of times to select another group.

I believe that is a neat idea, but I am missing support for 18650.