Fenix TK12

Bengy

Newly Enlightened
I'm disappointed about it as the UI is too complicated for what I want in a tactical light and also the lack of support for 18650 puts me off. The TK12 will be a pass for me.

dudu84

Enlightened
I do not understand that, it has same UI as TK10 and TK11, tight head is one level, loose head is another level.

But as an extra, you can select between 3 groups of high/low levels, just tight/loose the head a couple of times to select another group.

I believe that is a neat idea, but I am missing support for 18650.

I totally agree with everything you said, HKJ :wave:.
For a flashlight enthusiast, I find the UI very simple but heck, why is it so difficult to add 18650 support, Fenix :thumbsdow?
I just started using 18650s recently and I will definitely never go back to 16340 if I have a choice (17670s don't impress me that much)

The specs don't mention but I hope it has the new trapezoid threads as TA21, can anyone confirm this?

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree with everything you said, HKJ :wave:.
For a flashlight enthusiast, I find the UI very simple but heck, why is it so difficult to add 18650 support, Fenix :thumbsdow?
I just started using 18650s recently and I will definitely never go back to 16340 if I have a choice (17670s don't impress me that much)

The specs don't mention but I hope it has the new trapezoid threads as TA21, can anyone confirm this?
Yes, it has trapezoid threads.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
The Olight M20 has an easy access to 4 interesting modes. Why not making it simple? Changing mode by turning the head within .5 sec ?? This delay is way to short!
I like the trapeziodal threads though.

I'm used to different mode flashlights (like most of us), but I'm lost with this one :thinking:!

Since EagleTac, with the T100C2, managed to regulate both CR123A AND 18650 in the same light :thumbsup: I wonder why Fenix is not following the trend. A real "Tour de force" from Eagletac I guess.

There you go!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since EagleTac, with the T100C2, managed to regulate both CR123A AND 18650 in the same light :thumbsup: I wonder why Fenix is not following the trend. A real "Tour de force" from Eagletac I guess.
I wouldn't call that managed, it just has low Vf emitter. XR-E has typically higher Vf that's why Fenix/Eagle-Tac/Olight lights with this LED have no regulation.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Press this, press that, turn bezel, unscrew bezel like 8 times to access like 10 modes.....forget it....no thanks.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why Surefire rules, everybody can make a bright and efficient light these days, however the difference in the UI that is what I am looking for in a light. I don't need a flashlight that has as many settings as Microsoft Word.

Marduke

Flashaholic
[sarcasm]
Why would I want a keyboard with 105 keys when all I need is the letters, numbers, space, and enter? All those extra functional keys just get in the way!!
[/sarcasm]

Set it and forget it. It operate as a simple two-mode light. Head loose, head tight. That's it!! A multiple mode light doesn't get any simpler than that.

If that is too complicated for you, you definitely do NOT need to be using ANY flashlight powered by Li-Ion cells in the first place. I mean, babysitting the charger and monitoring cell voltages is soo darn complicated...

dudu84

Enlightened
Press this, press that, turn bezel, unscrew bezel like 8 times to access like 10 modes.....forget it....no thanks.

Just consider TK12 a TK10 with a new look, new threads and some "hidden" modes. If you think 2-mode lights, switched by loosening/tightening the bezel, is still complicated, then just stick with single-mode lights :shrug:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I have top of the line Pila charger to go with my top of the line Pila light. Pila knows how to build a flashlight. Do I need to mention my Tektite lights........

dudu84

Enlightened
Yep, I have top of the line Pila charger to go with my top of the line Pila light. Pila knows how to build a flashlight. Do I need to mention my Tektite lights........

"Top of the line"? :thinking: good on ya mate
And NO, there's no need to mention your Tektite because this is the thread about Fenix TK12 :whistle:

Back to the topic, Fenix has been releasing lots of T lights lately, anyone heard about the next version of TK12 with 18650 support yet? :popcorn:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I like the R2 Tint better than Q5.

R2 and Q5 are FLUX bins. Tint bins are completely separate from flux bins.

You can easily have either flux bin on either side of the spectrum from very cool tinted, to creamy white.

Unless both the flux AND tint bins are specified, the tint lottery is in full effect.

liquidsix

Enlightened
This doesn't look too bad. It seems like we all like the simplicity of the TK11 or the TK10, and this UI doesn't seem any harder to me, until you want to do something more advanced than what the TK10 or 11 even offer. Which would be choosing what your two easy access output levels are. If you think its difficult, maybe you have the wrong point of view: "I want easy access to any output at any moment", where Fenix meant for the light to be set up for the situation ahead of time (hence the complexity preprogramming it, and same with the Quark Tactical series).

While I do think this light has a good UI, it's missing a mode: 5 & 50.

Nice looking light, still has that ugly unevenly scalloped tailcap though and no 18650 is a deal breaker for sure.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
This doesn't look too bad. It seems like we all like the simplicity of the TK11 or the TK10, and this UI doesn't seem any harder to me, until you want to do something more advanced than what the TK10 or 11 even offer. Which would be choosing what your two easy access output levels are. If you think its difficult, maybe you have the wrong point of view: "I want easy access to any output at any moment", where Fenix meant for the light to be set up for the situation ahead of time (hence the complexity preprogramming it, and same with the Quark Tactical series).

While I do think this light has a good UI, it's missing a mode: 5 & 50.

Nice looking light, still has that ugly unevenly scalloped tailcap though and no 18650 is a deal breaker for sure.

I can see your point on being prepared before you go into a situation with this lights UI.

I still can't quite understand why they would remove 18650 support... maybe they are trying to go surfire's route, and focus on cr123 primaries :shrug: :thinking:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think perhaps the biggest miss with this is not going the neutral route as this is clearly an outdoors light. Any guesses why?

dudu84

Enlightened
I think perhaps the biggest miss with this is not going the neutral route as this is clearly an outdoors light. Any guesses why?

I think even among cpfers, neutral white LEDs are still not as popular as cool white so I doubt Fenix will offer it soon.
If this light supported 18650, I'd buy it and swap with a neutral Q4, then I'd be happy for some time :thumbsup: (until the next bin LED comes out that is)