mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote Oveready BOSS

85fa445892a517a90c5243b9a667fe0d.jpg

ebb26852ab7ef88e2642a273e02dbe66.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Light of 2016-ANY 3rd Gen XML2 FULL SIZE MAG!!!! Be it a 2xC cell just under 500 lumen Ml50L or the full on up armored extra thick aluminum with grenade grip texture along the tube with the extra thick anodizing 3xD cell 630 lumen ML300LX the output figures look spot on, they feature different mode program settings now and all feature a hell of a good strobe should you want it! 50 BUCKS!!! The average for these through the roof value XML2 full size 3rd Gen Mags is through the stratosphere!! I myself have 5 of them in all cell sizes and colors. Switch in some optical quality glass from flashlightlens.com and voila!! Even better these new super Mags are specifically designed to run best off of regular alkaline cells!! Putting in rechargeable NiMH's actually cuts run time by roughly 20%!!

So...go into any Wally World go to the flashlight wall in the sporting goods section they all have the regular black 3 D cell 630 lumen 3rd Gen XML2 Mag for less than FIFTY BUCKS!! On your way out grab a 4 pack of fresh Duracell alkaline D cells and you are out the door with the best value LED light of 2016 for(including tax)roughly $56-$57 for a new super Mag Lite that will out last YOU as long as you stay on top of the cells!! These things just are not great values they are also unbeatable performers for the price. 40k+ 630 lumens and a massive and very well done beam profile?? Winner Winner LED light of 2016 dinner!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad to see Maglite getting some love.

They aren't the newest, slickest, brightest that fashion has to offer, but since 1979 still offer reliable lighting tools at a good price.
Now if you use them for 'round the house' activities for short periods with long periods between uses, those adapter tubes with eneloops will provide peace of mind storage so the user doesn't need to keep up with the condition of the alkalines.

But todays big name alkalines hold their innerds together a whole lot better than the past ones.

maglite mike

Enlightened
LED Light of 2016-ANY 3rd Gen XML2 FULL SIZE MAG!!!! Be it a 2xC cell just under 500 lumen Ml50L or the full on up armored extra thick aluminum with grenade grip texture along the tube with the extra thick anodizing 3xD cell 630 lumen ML300LX the output figures look spot on, they feature different mode program settings now and all feature a hell of a good strobe should you want it! 50 BUCKS!!! The average for these through the roof value XML2 full size 3rd Gen Mags is through the stratosphere!! I myself have 5 of them in all cell sizes and colors. Switch in some optical quality glass from flashlightlens.com and voila!! Even better these new super Mags are specifically designed to run best off of regular alkaline cells!! Putting in rechargeable NiMH's actually cuts run time by roughly 20%!!

So...go into any Wally World go to the flashlight wall in the sporting goods section they all have the regular black 3 D cell 630 lumen 3rd Gen XML2 Mag for less than FIFTY BUCKS!! On your way out grab a 4 pack of fresh Duracell alkaline D cells and you are out the door with the best value LED light of 2016 for(including tax)roughly $56-$57 for a new super Mag Lite that will out last YOU as long as you stay on top of the cells!! These things just are not great values they are also unbeatable performers for the price. 40k+ 630 lumens and a massive and very well done beam profile?? Winner Winner LED light of 2016 dinner!!

Agree...the new Maglite line up is awesome !

Zak

Enlightened
I'd give best thrower to the TN42 over the K70 due to its neutral white option. The cool white of the K70 scatters so badly if there's any dust or haze in the atmosphere that it's less useful for actually seeing stuff at a distance than the fairly warm M3XS-UT. I swapped the emitter in mine to a 3C tint and found it to be a vast improvement.

Best EDC: SC63w

Best value: Convoy L6

Best innovation: Klarus XT12GT. The light itself is mostly a bigger, throwier XT11GT (a good contender for best cop light, I think), but the charging system is interesting. It's a magnetic connector on the side similar to the old XT12, but it charges standard 18650s now and the adapter needed to plug in to a MicroUSB cable is itself a 10 lumen rechargeable keychain light.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600Fd Plus
Astrolux/Manker S41

There was quite a bit of excitement over both of these lights because they did something never done before: they practically created the small, high power, high CRI genre of flashlight. Although there was always the P60 option in the past (with triple Nichias), these were the first lights (apart from the Zebralight Easywhite headlamps) to offer more than a couple of hundred high CRI lumens in a small, ready-made package. The SC600Fd was also the first light (and, as far as I know, the ONLY light) to offer a high CRI version of Cree's new XHP series emitters.

Last edited:

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Zebralight SC600Fd Plus
Astrolux/Manker S41

There was quite a bit of excitement over both of these lights because they did something never done before: they practically created the small, high power, high CRI genre of flashlight. Although there was always the P60 option in the past (with triple Nichias), these were the first lights (apart from the Zebralight Easywhite headlamps) to offer more than a couple of hundred high CRI lumens in a small, ready-made package. The SC600Fd was also the first light (and, as far as I know, the ONLY light) to offer a high CRI version of Cree's new XHP series emitters.

My vote goes to Manker E14 / Astrolux S41 (with quad Nichia 219B)

Small enough to be your EDC on the keyring, but still packing a serious punch of neutral, high CRI light.

Zak

Enlightened
The SC600Fd was also the first light (and, as far as I know, the ONLY light) to offer a high CRI version of Cree's new XHP series emitters.

The Nitecore TM03 is available in an 80+ CRI variant, but TM03s are bad due to the proprietary battery. Neutral white Haikelites are also 80+ CRI and look to be a good value in the high-output category. The Zebralight may be the only off the shelf 90 though.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore TM03 is available in an 80+ CRI variant, but TM03s are bad due to the proprietary battery. Neutral white Haikelites are also 80+ CRI and look to be a good value in the high-output category. The Zebralight may be the only off the shelf 90 though.

The new Malkoff wildcat also uses the high CRI XHP50. but i think that is it

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
My prediction is that 2017 will be the breakthrough year when not only quantity of light will matter but also quality of light, meaning high CRI.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to Manker E14 / Astrolux S41 (with quad Nichia 219B)

Small enough to be your EDC on the keyring, but still packing a serious punch of neutral, high CRI light.

Astrolux really screwed up the redesign of their stainless steel version of this light where th optic was crushing the emitters, big fail and hence should not win any awards based on that bungle.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Astrolux really screwed up the redesign of their stainless steel version of this light where th optic was crushing the emitters, big fail and hence should not win any awards based on that bungle.

I couldn't agree more.
The Manker E14 (with Nichia 219B) however does still not have any real competition on the market.

Astrolux flashlights aren't designed or have any parts made by Manker anymore. They split up their relationship pretty hard, people were allegedly even fired over this. According to rumors Mateminco is BangGood's (owner of the brand Astrolux) new contract manufacturer

Astrolux seems to have fixed their problems now, but I would strongly suggest buying original Manker instead. (Manker have also had their share of production quality problems, but that is also fixed now.)

Zak

Enlightened
Not necessarily relevant to the E14/S41, but my Astrolux E02, a recent-ish model as far as I know, has Manker written right on its defective MCPCB.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Not necessarily relevant to the E14/S41, but my Astrolux E02, a recent-ish model as far as I know, has Manker written right on its defective MCPCB.

Interesting, but I guess that board could have been in storage for a while or the copying is more blatant than ever.