Foursevens Preon P0

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, its my turn to post all issues i got with my "P0-SS Lemonade"

- light flickers with all batterys including the Duracell from the box
- on eneloops it wont turn on 90% of the time
- sometimes light starts at low and "ramping" to high without doing anything after a few seconds
- LED offcenter (picture 1)
- BAD rotating work on the polish of the Head (picture 2)

Contacted fourseven and waiting for a solution :(
Ironman,
It looks like it is the plastic GITD that is offcenter and defective by measuring using verniers on the picture on the screen. That mark where the beadblasting overlaps is a unique defect for sure. Flickering is not good. You have it all going on in one light, wow. Let us know how it turns out.
GL

staghater

Newly Enlightened
As far i can see this light only + is size and GITD, nothing more at all.
There are much better lights out there.
Not exciting light at all :thumbsdow

budynabuick

Enlightened
It is amazing they put this light out there with so many glitches.
I realize that at twice the price the Klarus aaa might not be for some but 3 months later it works perfect. It is a beautiful light and when they get it straight it will go on my list (short list) of lights to procure. The only issue with the Klarus was the threads looked like they were cut by a beaver but i contacted dealer and they said if the head started getting to wobbly they would replace. I know this light will have to go back with in the year as a result of the thread issue. I said that to say that any co can have issues but if they fix them for you then no problem 9except the wait LOL)

Keith, who did not mean to take away from this thread

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm still liking my P0. Using plumber's tape for the broken o-ring continues to work fine. It too bad this little guy has had such a troubled start. I'd like to see it be the platform for a series of lights.

Geoff

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Bad news :( My Preon 0 just died today, worked great for about two days, it just stopped working out of nowhere today. It would only go onto moonlight and the head would head up significantly, wouldn't change modes. After waiting a bit, it stopped working completely. I've been using the stock battery too, didn't mess with eneloops or lithiums. Hopefully they fix this design, it just doesn't seem to work reliably.

crizyal

Enlightened
I am guessing we might see a recall. At least I hope we see one. It is clear to me that this light has at least one design flaw (dead shorting). I am sad to say 4sevens is probably reading all of these posts with great despair. I would think he has a significant investment in this potentially incredible tiny light. I am looking forward to version 2 also. My version 1 is unusable.:( I imagine that exchanging the one I have for an identical light will develop the same issue in short order (based on what I have read here).

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why there are so many revisions for the dqg - while collectors may see this as reason to collect but but maybe they are just fixing problems as they sell out the previous? We went through so many design iterations to make sure we got it right the first time. Before we make the final product we refine so many things - industrial design, manufacturing optimization, and usability to name a few.
By the way the P0's magnet is press fit so it should never ever fall out.

+1

I'll take the already refined option every time vs. paying to beta test the also rans. Would love to eventually see something like this for AA too, & a single mode version would be great!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody wants a defective light and no reputable manufacturer want to deliver defective lights to their consumers. I applaud David for standing up and offering us a solution in time like this and I believe it is going to be real costly on his side. Thank you David.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY cool pic from johnnyfgroove posted above
Ive got a couple MiniAA's and E01's . Ive been following this thread telling myself I don't need another AA from 4sevens ;-) After seeing this pic ....I give up!........ I gotta get one of these!!!

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
+1

Thank You David :thumbsup:
This is one of the best reasons I like Four Sevens, they support thier products fully.
GL

I agree completely. I continue to buy FourSevens because the one light I had an issue with they sent me an RMA for. They fixed it over Christmas and returned it to me with a new head in January for me to continue enjoying. Did I mention I am based in the UK?

I will definitely get a Preon PO-SS when the revised version allowing safe use of eneloop AAAs is available. Knowing how quickly FourSevens work that will not be long.

In the meantime I second Leon's call above for an AA version of the Preon PO-SS. I appreciate us flashaholics are a small minority compared to the overall market FourSevens supplies but even if you did it as a limited run for CPF members I think you would be sold out quickly. An AA twisty with a moonlight mode and a 25-30 lumen level like the Preon PO-SS) or lower would be popular here.

I think people have been begging Fenix for an AA version of the EO1 (& EO5). An AA version of the Preon PO-SS with a capability to use all battery types would be a very good emergency or general use light. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree completely. I continue to buy FourSevens because the one light I had an issue with they sent me an RMA for. They fixed it over Christmas and returned it to me with a new head in January for me to continue enjoying. Did I mention I am based in the UK?

I will definitely get a Preon PO-SS when the revised version allowing safe use of eneloop AAAs is available. Knowing how quickly FourSevens work that will not be long.

In the meantime I second Leon's call above for an AA version of the Preon PO-SS. I appreciate us flashaholics are a small minority compared to the overall market FourSevens supplies but even if you did it as a limited run for CPF members I think you would be sold out quickly. An AA twisty with a moonlight mode and a 25-30 lumen level like the Preon PO-SS) or lower would be popular here.

I think people have been begging Fenix for an AA version of the EO1. An AA version of the Preon PO-SS with a capability to use all battery types would be a very good emergency or general use light. :thumbsup:
I agree with you Harry. If Four Sevens decides to build an AA version of this light, They could call it the PreonA, and maybe able to offer it in alluminum as well as SS due to the increased form factor. Let us be patient and I know they will come out with more great lights, and develop a fix for the Preon0.
GL

jds1

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my P0 for several days, with the supplied primary, and everything is working as it should. Fit and finish is good and I've not experienced any flickering or random mode switching. I'm happy with my purchase.

Jeff

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
...I'd like to see it be the platform for a series of lights.

Yes - that could add letters to the end, like Zebralight, to designate the different versions:

The Flood version would be the P0F and the Spot version would be the P0S.

Oh, wait a minute, that's actually a terrible naming idea...

Seriously though; Kudos to 4Sevens for standing behind and working to fix their products. I may not be the right customer for every one of their lights, but I certainly do love the company!

thegreg

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, sorry for my language, i'm from Poland and i'm new here.
I received today my Preon P0-SS, installed included battery, turned on nicely, switched mode - cool, turned off, turned on again and...
Dead... Did not turned on again. :mad:
The light is dead as dinosaurs.
Coll light but very very very short life.:(

JulianP

Enlightened
I received mine today and found that it worked well. I then tried it with an eneloop and...it still worked well. No flicker, no sudden death or overheating. I am therefore reading this thread with trepidation: I just love this little flashlight, and I'd hate to lose it.

If it keeps working with the eneloop, I will Velcro it to my glasses to read in bed at night.:naughty:

Edit: I checked my battery again, and realized I used a Sony CycleEnergy 800mAh. This is Sony's competitor to Sanyo's Eneloop (long shelf-life rechargeable). The CycleEnergy is indistinguishable in size from the Duracell Alkaline, perhaps explaining why the P0 is still working after turning it on and off many times over the past 24 hours. I think I will stick with it.

Last edited:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
well i received mine today,and have no problem with it.been playing with it for the last couple hours.
i put a gp recyko battery (got no aaa eneloops),and is working flawlessly.
i made some pictures comparing it with other aaa lights:
6829863809_9cc0bac439.jpg

from left to right:liteflux lf2xt, fenix ldo1 ss, 47 preon revo ss, fenix e01, iluminatti, itp a3 ss, fenix e05, dqg 1 ss,dqg 2 and the preon p 0 ss.

there are ppl comparing this light with the dqgs.the only thing that they have in common is that they use aaa batteries,and are made in ss.even the preon is sorther than the dqg 2,that was the smallest light of my aaa collection.

6829863823_1e2cc33487.jpg

love the flood beam,impressive the wall of light,no hotspot at all.don´t like the finish (sandblasted??),only got it 3 hours ago,and there are visible marks already.
do not know about the gitd on the front,it´s still early,gotta wait till night.
anyway,nice little light.
i´m sorry for the ppl having problems with it,and also for low quality of pictures,gotta use my cell phone.

Last edited:

toylover

Newly Enlightened
The more I use my P0 the more I appreciate the flood coverage. When looking for something in the car, in the drunk, under the desk to find a tiny screw that rolled off the table, etc., the flood allows me to find everything right away. With my other lights I have to scan all over the place before I find what I am looking for. I still would like to see more light coming out of it though when I am in a larger room or outside.

Here is a crazy idea: why not create a new model and add a zoom to this thing? Of course it will be a bit larger and more expensive but if it is a quality item I'll buy a dozen!

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Doh, I can see my little friend is headed for shortsville. This is from the included alkaline, I've never tried an eneloop in there. Anyway, I love this little light and I hope the quirks get squared away...

P1000807-1.jpg

Last edited:

jag-engr

Enlightened
By the way the glow in the dark piece is a a rubber injection part impregnated with glow in the dark material. It was a minor thing that was added near the end of the prototyping stage.
How hard would this piece be to remove if someone were to want to epoxy in some trit vials around the emitter... :whistle:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh, I can see my little friend is headed for shortsville. This is from the included alkaline, I've never tried an eneloop in there. Anyway, I love this little light and I hope the quirks get squared away...

th_P1000807-1.jpg
JohnnyGroove,
I have the same findindings. I am actually working on an update for the videos I posted. I used my USB microscope for the clarity. The outer protective shell should not wear as easily and quickly as it has on the two samples I have.
I still really like this light, it's purpose and size are great:thumbsup:
GL

. . . Click to Enlarge