HDS Systems #23

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reject rate for machined parts baffles me as well. You get a drawing which spells out all the dimensions and tolerances. I don't understand how machine shops are not able to conform to the specifications.
It's like anything in life: just because someone is given clear and precise instructions does not mean they will necessarily have the willingness or competence to follow them. Many years ago Henry had a partnership with a shop that could produce the parts in both the quantity and quality he required and at a reasonable price (used to be a shiny, new HDS light could be had for less than $200), but when the owner sold his company, it seems the new owner was not able to meet Henry's expectations, and that was pretty much the beginning of the parts problem that has never been solved to Henry's satisfaction.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the watchmaking industry these sorts of problems are common as most if not all parts of a movement & case were outsourced and have historically been solved by moving manufacture in-house or purchasing the supplier outright. I suppose there is either no financial incentive or lack of monetary means for HDS to do so? I understand HDS is not a big manufacturer & I dont know what his profit margins are like. There will always be some sort of dependency as components such as electronics or LEDs cannot be made in-house but reflectors certainly can. Same is true in watchmaking (balance springs, jewel bearings, hands, dials, sapphire and more is all traditionally outsourced) & there are few companies even today who can make these components themselves. Even Rolex is outsourcing their hands.

Last edited:

K-T

*Moderator*
Regarding reply time on emails: I sent them a short email regarding address change for an order, the reply with feedback according to my request was (maybe by luck) 2 hours later. Impressive and easy.

Question: the green GITD reflectors sold about 2 years ago...what where they called? Need one...I know...will be tricky and hard

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: the green GITD reflectors sold about 2 years ago...what where they called? Need one...I know...will be tricky and hard
Firefly, it was also the last GITD reflector:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/hds-firefly-100-diffuse-gitd-reflector.453568/

Or not named if yor refer to the very first one: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/very-limited-diffuse-reflector-going-on-sale.450200/

Only due to the fact I love this reflectors a picture of most of them:

From l. to r. : "Violet me", Double Beryl, Pumpkin Spice, Blue Moon, Firefly

This picture shows very good that Firefly is really the brightest. But the Blue Moon is somehow my favorite...

Last edited:

K-T

*Moderator*
Firefly, it was also the last GITD reflector:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/hds-firefly-100-diffuse-gitd-reflector.453568/

Or not named if yor refer to the very first one: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/very-limited-diffuse-reflector-going-on-sale.450200/

Only due to the fact I love this reflectors a picture of most of them:

From l. to r. : "Violet me", Double Beryl, Pumpkin Spice, Blue Moon, Firefly

This picture shows very good that Firefly is really the brightest. But the Blue Moon is somehow my favorite...
Yes -Firefly…best spent money back then.

Let the hunt for the firefly begin..

Beard Man

Enlightened
Regarding reply time on emails: I sent them a short email regarding address change for an order, the reply with feedback according to my request was (maybe by luck) 2 hours later. Impressive and easy.

Not everyone is so lucky:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Im having a weird problem with my UV Executive. I cannot get it to run on rechargeable li-ions for some reason. It will run fine on a primary cr123 or 2aa, but i cannot get it to do anything on 18650 or rcr123. Has anybody had a similar experience? Ive tried cleaning and performing a factory reset. Still no-go.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the ones from HDS, what pocket clips fit under the tail cap of the executive? I bought the prometheus "dark sucks" clip, but I'm surprised that it is too small.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang it. Dark sucks is out of the larger size. Not sure I trust my hands to bore this one out properly, though I'm not above trying.
This thread about modifying an Oveready clip may interest you. Looks like it's not uncommon for people to use a dremel to enlarge the inner diameter of a clip to fit on the head. Should be fairly simple to do the same to make it fit on the tail, but I don't know the difference in diameters between the Surefire and HDS variants of those clips.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone recall the wavelength of the HDS IR Red light? From one of the third party sales sites it mentioned 850nm, but that cannot be right.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not sure to open a X-Mas thread or not. finally I took the "general discussion thread" :)

For me it was a strange year. Corona was the topic of 2021 at all Alpha, Delta, ... now Omicron... and finally today I got my booster vaccination....
But it was a good year. I am still healty and alive.

It was a good year to do other hobbies. Without HDS this (see 2 pictures below) would never be possible ... ;) ... since there were no new cool HDS Special Editions or items. :crackup:Therefore my camera equipment was growing - sorry could not resit :D.

Only for the courious people:
Pentax K3III with Battery Grip; Pentax DA★ 16-50mm F2.8 PLM; Pentax D FA★ 70-200mm F2.8
HDS Rotary Red, Green, Blue, Amber

To all Merry XMas and a happy new year to all HDS Owners (and of course all others too).

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
Any update on the 18500 and 18350 tubes? I completely forgot about my order, just came to mind yesterday.