HDS Systems #23

LRJ88

Enlightened
A wee little update with both good news and bad.

The good news is that something akin to a Malkoff boot fits perfectly in the HDS except it lacks the nub to actually let it press the button, the button is 14mm wide and the rim/flange/whateveryouwannacallthething is 19mm in diameter and 2mm thick, make of this information what you will.

Indexing the PCB after putting it back was made through this process, you'll have to follow this very specific process and it's so advanced you might want to read through this twice. Ready? Ok, you tighten the PCB and retaining ring until snug, put it on the body, check high and low, if both are fine you're good to go. If either isn't as it should be, adjust it by then instead, first snug it down.

I've yet to receive the o-rings, but looking at the spare parts for the Malkoff and comparing sizes i'm half sure already that 20,57x1,78 will work in it, otherwise i'll just have to get others and keep trying. It's a fun experiment regardless.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Indexing the PCB after putting it back was made through this process, you'll have to follow this very specific process and it's so advanced you might want to read through this twice. Ready? Ok, you tighten the PCB and retaining ring until snug, put it on the body, check high and low, if both are fine you're good to go. If either isn't as it should be, adjust it by then instead, first snug it down.

Thanks for this info. How is the PCB removed from the tail cap? Does it just unscrew?

LRJ88

Enlightened
Thanks for this info. How is the PCB removed from the tail cap? Does it just unscrew?
Pretty much, it sits on a funky disc-type thing so you have to be a bit careful to not mess up the PCB itself. It has several notches which i'm guessing are used to be able to screw/unscrew the retaining ring. If you plan on removing the PCB from the ring it has a large notch which could be used as an index as well.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rubber buttons (actually neoprene) are the same for Rotary and Executive.
The O-rings in the tail are EDPM. Don't use anything but the HDS lube... or just don't take the tail apart... actually, do take the tail apart so we can sell you another one when it gets messed up.
The tail caps are 302 stainless. It isn't rust inside but a left over of the blackening process which is a nitride coating.

I don't get on here much. My last 2 week paycheck from working on the ambulance had 240 hours on it... 80 regular and 160 OT hours...
People need to stop doing stupid things and having others hold their beer and watch. I thought I saw stupid when I worked as a LEO... I was wrong!

LRJ88

Enlightened
The rubber buttons (actually neoprene) are the same for Rotary and Executive.
The O-rings in the tail are EDPM. Don't use anything but the HDS lube... or just don't take the tail apart... actually, do take the tail apart so we can sell you another one when it gets messed up.
The tail caps are 302 stainless. It isn't rust inside but a left over of the blackening process which is a nitride coating.

I don't get on here much. My last 2 week paycheck from working on the ambulance had 240 hours on it... 80 regular and 160 OT hours...
People need to stop doing stupid things and having others hold their beer and watch. I thought I saw stupid when I worked as a LEO... I was wrong!
Aren't you happy there's people like me keeping you in business? All jokes aside, i did manage to put it all together again, being a CNC teacher by trade does have some perks. I'm not overly worried about getting things to work as they're supposed to, even if it might take a little while to get the stuff needed to fix it.

Sounds like you could use some R&R soonish so you don't end up burnt out from it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't you happy there's people like me keeping you in business? All jokes aside, i did manage to put it all together again, being a CNC teacher by trade does have some perks. I'm not overly worried about getting things to work as they're supposed to, even if it might take a little while to get the stuff needed to fix it.

Sounds like you could use some R&R soonish so you don't end up burnt out from it.
I wasn't referring to you... I was referring to the folks I have to take to the hospital after having their friend's hold their beer. LOL!

LRJ88

Enlightened
I wasn't referring to you... I was referring to the folks I have to take to the hospital after having their friend's hold their beer. LOL!
Considering what i went through opening a SPA Defense it's not far off. Also the fun times when the bloody machine won't let go of a tool and you end up applying percussive maintenance (mainly) on the stuck tool. The only difference is that no alcohol is involved, sadly.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a Cree XP-E or XP-E2, as there really aren't that many options for direct amber in the 3535 package that HDS uses.
That is my guess. The Amber LED looks like XP-E (or XP-E2).

I posted a picture of my amber HDS years ago here:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
silver for the XP-E2
thanks!
photo of WOL's HDS Amber and MtnElectronics PC Amber:
Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 11.32.31 AM.png

Silver package looks like a match

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank y'all very much. I'm going to order a few single LEDs and see how it looks.
I heard from an authoritative source that HDS has the best Amber.