HDS Systems #23

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the source Hogo with his war crime stick ready to unbox something other than a flashlight?

Amber lover is a hardcore extreme user from Florida.
It's only fitting that he lives in the sunshine state as he only full-sends lumens.
None of this moonlight soft cinemax stuff.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Got some 21mm ID 1.5mm width FKM o-rings today, smoother than the same size with NBR ones with the same grease, figured i'd throw in a size comparison between a new o-ring and the one that got messed up.

IMG_6341.jpeg

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
Ra twisty tr85 next to my nb30 rotary… you can't get much better than this! Love the red low on the tr85 and the tint on the golden dragon is PURE white. Sw30 is no slouch either :)
View attachment 41233
The shortness of Ra Twisty is emphasized and clearly seen when juxtaposed with the rotary. It is also interesting that the low mode is red. I was curious about this, so I looked into it and found a silver button-like thing at the rear end of the battery compartment. Is this a switch? or is it a Neodymium magnet?

Lithium466

Enlightened
It's just...nothing. Aesthetic detail maybe?

(note that not all the Ra Twisty(ies) have the red option, I think only the 85 and maybe some rare 100 with the Golden Dragon emitter?)

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
It's just...nothing. Aesthetic detail maybe?

(note that not all the Ra Twisty(ies) have the red option, I think only the 85 and maybe some rare 100 with the Golden Dragon emitter?)
I'm surprised it was a component that didn't mean anything. It looked like something was inlaid so I thought surely there must be something to it.Ra twisty, what an interesting light.

Lithium466

Enlightened
They were, very interesting. But too delicate. Mine has the "usual" low/medium that are not spaced out anymore. I should send it to HDS for repair or just find out which contact needs to be resoldered/reshaped.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
They were, very interesting. But too delicate. Mine has the "usual" low/medium that are not spaced out anymore. I should send it to HDS for repair or just find out which contact needs to be resoldered/reshaped.
They're actually reasonably durable but pretty quickly remedied if needed. Been so long since I had one but it does seem that they did take a bit of effort to program, moreso than the Clicky or Rotary.

At this point, anyone still possession of a Tr85 or Tr100 should probably hang onto it. I know that at this point I wish that I'd kept one of mine.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I have a brand new in bag 100 Hcri with 18650 tube that was probably messed up during transport, or just screwed too tight. Never had the heart to do anything with it as it's aesthetically so perfect... It's just a half broken shelf queen at this point.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I see that Twisty also has the drawback that the two wire-like parts of the contacts are prone to failure.
Yes, the direct wire contact is kind of reminiscent of the one on some older McGizmo designs, and while very durable and being liked for the lack of any clicky type of switch which could fail, is also open to failure itself if the solder points get fatigued.

Here's an old picture from 2008 by member Bob showing the switching parts.

RA-Twisty-6349.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the direct wire contact is kind of reminiscent of the one on some older McGizmo designs, and while very durable and being liked for the lack of any clicky type of switch which could fail, is also open to failure itself if the solder points get fatigued.

Here's an old picture from 2008 by member Bob showing the switching parts.

View attachment 50632
Unfortunately, here if tighten it too much, the spring can be pulled out of the solder. I had this happen and managed to fix it. Don had a more reliable spring design, there was a protective ring with a slot and when tightened to maximum there was no lateral load on the spring

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, here if tighten it too much, the spring can be pulled out of the solder. I had this happen and managed to fix it. Don had a more reliable spring design, there was a protective ring with a slot and when tightened to maximum there was no lateral load on the spring
Good information that I think I never knew, or forgot. Think I'd only ever had a couple of Twistys, both having been Tr type with the red emitter.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a new (to me) NLT clicky off the secondary. It's an LE. I want to change one of the presets, but can't remember how. I thought it was reset, wait for the light to go off, then do 20 clicks and a hold to access programming.

Am I way off?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I got the preset sorted out. Now I can't activate the locator flash. I've selected the menu item a few times, but no luck. Still four clicks from off?