HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixemon

Enlightened
dixemon, pardon me for asking, but I just have to make sure you know what you are talking about to be sure we are on the same wavelength. What is the tint of the light like? We talking about very warm tint? The XP-G high CRI is very warm in tint, much like an incandescent. You seeing that?

It is Hi CRI very warm and incandescent in nature. I like it very much. The rest of you CSI photographic analyzers are fired! I suspect I recieved one of the first ones in the production because I have been waiting a very, very long time for a replacment for one of my lights. He probably is building stock now before release.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
You deserve it Dixemon !
Glad to see that Henry is starting on these !!

dixemon

Enlightened
Here's some lame pictures from my Droid. Im anything but a photographer or reviewer, but non the less I thought you'd appreciate some comparitive photos.

Twisty 85tr GD emitter (mediumish)/ Rotary HI CRI XPG (matched to twisty output) these are about 1' from the wall wich is more on the white side of off white. There are no artifiacts in the beam beyond this distance, it is perfectly arranged.

IMG_20110824_200305.jpg

Twisty
IMG_20110824_200844.jpg

Rotary
IMG_20110824_200758.jpg

These shots are close in color, but the HDS does have more of a whiteish hotspot in real use, its a little less yellowish than the pics. Its as close to an INCAN ive seen.
The light levels were not on any particular level. I adjusted them to get the best color comparison, not brightness.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
dixemon, now you got me excited! I am happy my speculation about the photo tint is wrong, because it meant that we are another step closer to a high CRI rotary! Could Henry have given you his test copy? How did you order it? I don't see a high CRI variant under the order page.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Now that the new high CRIs may finally be starting to trickle out, I'll be very curious to hear from anyone who can compare the new ones with the older model. I have the older high CRI and am considering trading it in for a new one but first want to see how they compare. I really like the one I have and it's hard to imagine a nicer light, but Henry could very well make one.

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
I guess gorgeous is a matter of subjectivity. :sick2:

My thoughts exactly. As much as I wanted a high CRI Rotary, now that I've seen the very warm tint I've ended up ordering a regular Rotary. I was hoping for a sunlight-like CCT, but knowing that the newly introduced high CRI XPGs either are around 3000k and >90 CRI or >3000k and <90 CRI, I guess that ship has sailed. I just don't like those overly warm tinted lights...

edc3

Enlightened
I'll have to see some more beamshots - especially some outdoor shots, before I can make up my mind. The warmest LED light I have is 4000k and I love it. I also like my incands. I might put one of these on my wishlist - especially if the output is greater than my current High CRI clicky.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
My hopes and dreams have just been crushed by an overly warm tint..

Same here. :( In retrospect, how silly it was of me to hope that the new high-CRI emitter would be a 5000K 92 CRI Nichia or something equally compelling. :ohgeez: I would have bought such a Clicky without hesitation, but since it seems that they've actually regressed instead...oh well.... :shrug:

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Same here. :( In retrospect, how silly it was of me to hope that the new high-CRI emitter would be a 5000K 92 CRI Nichia or something equally compelling. :ohgeez: I would have bought such a Clicky without hesitation, but since it seems that they've actually regressed instead...oh well.... :shrug:

agreed, not trying to bash, but the whole light has lost the features that I like so much. I was really hoping this was gonna be a good one. Better start saving for my mcgizmo. I still have my 2 clickies with the p4, the quality of the light is bar none top of the line. Guess I kept them around for a reason.

Last edited:

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first HDS. I got the rotary tactical. The LED was perfectly centered. The light appears very well built with tight tolerances. Great build HDS.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to humbly thank you for taking the high road and going easy on me. :bow: I realize that what you must be thinking is far, far worse, but in the interest of respectful discourse you've shown remarkable, nay, extraordinary restraint, and this, good people, is a shining example of why lovecpf:kiss:.

No, I just gave my own point of view on the subject, much like everybody else does around here. To me the change HDS made is a step backwards, away from natural lighting and toward artificial lighting similar to what we've had for more than a century, although I understand that others have different points of view. You assumed that I consider my way the only "right" way, but you're wrong--not stupid, mind you ;), just plain wrong in this instance.

That's true enough, but not cool white LEDs that render colors with a significant degree of accuracy. Such LEDs exist, I believe (I'd have to use them myself to confirm), but I've yet to see one used in a flashlight.

As regrettably uncommon as these tints still are, given how much people like them, they've been around and there are more high-CRI versions on the way from several manufacturers. It's nothing we haven't seen before with incandescent lighting (which incidentally has a higher CRI), and I was hoping for something new, which I would view as progress.

This may seem a bit nitpicky, but it's not that I WANT to consider it a regression, it's just that in some ways I DO consider it a regression, and I have every right to hold and express my point of view.

Did I ever say otherwise? :thinking: That's very imaginative--I'm impressed! ;)

Awesome! wacbazz or whoever he was is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.