HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
How's the beam from that Twisty after you shot it?

I totally understand all the non perfectly centered LEDs and the "perfect beam" so many talk about here. I was like that with everything. OMG! There's bluing wear on my duty pistol! Some Adam Henry dinged my car! etc. etc.
I finally got to the point in my life where I just don't care anymore. It's a tool to me. If I want to compare beams, then I do it in a real world environment now, not on a white wall. I don't expect perfection from anything, I just expect it to work when I need it.
Yes, I used to be all disapointed when I droped my new flashlight and OMG!!! There's some ano missing!
I don't let it bother me anymore, as I have come to the realization that I am happier owning things, than having things own me.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always enjoyed a low low on a flashlight. Not until last night did I fully realize the true utility of a very dim light. I decided to reprogram my HDS for the absolute lowest setting on preset D. Folks, now that is complete versatility, being able to reprogram your light to suit your needs as they arise. I love my clicky. It's the best investment I made in flashlights.
Yes, to me this is what makes the HDS the best UI ever, and the HDS lights something special because if it does become your EDC you can usually set it up to be your perfect tool. That is why I'm so picky about the size, power source, and carry options; I want it to be my EDC but right now it fails for other reasons, but I did carry them for a long while so I know how great they are. The good thing is I get to try other lights as EDC for fun, but sometimes you just want that rock solid dependable light.

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered my rotary 200! First HDS light! Can't wait to get it.

Shooter21

Enlightened
i love my new rotary since there's no need to re-program it for the lowest setting. ive tried to customize my executive about 50 times and i gave up i guess i'm just retarded when it comes to customizing the presets.

nbp

Flashaholic
gottawearshades said:
How's the beam from that Twisty after you shot it?

Gun down Clickies all you want Hogo, but leave the Twisties alone! :eek: I think they're a protected species now, like eagles or something. I hope I don't ever wreck one of my Twisties beyond repair as they are getting harder to find, especially my 85Tr, those things hardly ever pop up.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always enjoyed a low low on a flashlight. Not until last night did I fully realize the true utility of a very dim light. I decided to reprogram my HDS for the absolute lowest setting on preset D. Folks, now that is complete versatility, being able to reprogram your light to suit your needs as they arise. I love my clicky. It's the best investment I made in flashlights.

0.07 lumens is probably the most used setting on my Clicky followed by 4 lumens.

Funny, it used to be I wanted the brightest flashlight money could buy. Now I want the dimmest.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.07 lumens is probably the most used setting on my Clicky followed by 4 lumens.

Funny, it used to be I wanted the brightest flashlight money could buy. Now I want the dimmest.

Although 0.07 lumen is not what I use most of the time, I still find the 0.07 lumen too bright for pitch dark conditions. I sometimes end up using the Surefire T1A for a lower output.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
The only aspect I dislike is the VERY noticeable donut on low low within 6" of object. It always gets me when map-reading in the dark.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Although 0.07 lumen is not what I use most of the time, I still find the 0.07 lumen too bright for pitch dark conditions. I sometimes end up using the Surefire T1A for a lower output.
i'm curious why Henry didn't get the rotary down to the surefire titan's lowest level?

bansuri

Enlightened
Man, I finally broke down and got a rotary. Saw a great deal on Marketplace and just did it.
Now the big decision: mod it with an XP-G Neutral or High CRI?
It's a hassle to get the board out so I'd only want to do it once.
Either way I'll post some before and after beamshots.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the Rotary beam. I guess I just expected more from HDS. I also expected more from a light that was assembled in the US. I also honestly believe that the beam can be fixed so it is smoother. Not sure if that makes me and idealist or an optimist.

The dark crescent shaped "shadow" in my beam is about 8" wide when the light is 6' from the wall. It's one of those things like a stuck pixel as Chris mentioned, once you know it's there it bothers you. I have a few dead pixels in my 50" plasma but I can't see them from 12'. I can however see the partial ring in the light that I exchanged or the normal full rings that all rotaries have.

To me (and apparently HDS) the LED and beam pattern are important. The following is taken from HDS' site. I added bolding. http://hdssystems.com/?id=EdcDetails&model=Executive

Details4.jpg
The reflector is machined out of aluminum for maximum strength. The surface is coated with a special 3 layer coating to provide superior reflectivity and long life. The surface is specially textured to produce a smooth beam pattern with a gentle transition between the beam center and beam exterior. The reflector compartment is then completely sealed to keep out water and other contaminates.
Details5.jpg
The LED is the heart of the flashlight. We carefully choose the most efficient LEDs available for maximum light output and longest runtimes. Higher efficiency LEDs not only produce higher maximum output but they produce proportionately longer runtimes at lower output settings while the minimum runtime on the High brightness level stays the same. The LED and reflector combine to control the beam pattern.
Details6.jpg
The LED is joined to a thick integrated heat sink. The heat sink transfers heat from the LED to the skin of the flashlight where it is dissipated to the environment. Keeping the LED cool allows the LED to perform at its peak efficiency and dramatically increases the LED's life. The LED's temperature is monitored by the electronics to ensure the LED never gets excessively hot.
Details7.jpg
The reflector and heat sink are designed to keep the LED and reflector in perfect optical alignment. Perfect optical alignment ensures the highest quality beam pattern.
I'm sure the info in the quote above was wrote before the XP-G's were added but the link above is found on the EDC Rotary page. In all fairness I did know about the ring before I ordered the light but I hoped that I would get one without a ring. I now hope that the ringy beam will be fixed in the future. It is not what I call a "quality beam" and I'm very new to the world of LED flashlights.

Again, I'm not bashing or hating as I love everything else about the Rotary. I guess the word disappointment sums up how I feel and I just wanted my voice heard. Hopefully one day the XP-G Rotary will have a beam that makes the other lights blush. For now I'm done beating this dead horse. I also appreciate everyone who commented on my post and pics.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Regarding the Rotary beam. I guess I just expected more from HDS. I also expected more from a light that was assembled in the US. I also honestly believe that the beam can be fixed so it is smoother. Not sure if that makes me and idealist or an optimist.

*snip*

It is not what I call a "quality beam" and I'm very new to the world of LED flashlights.

Again, I'm not bashing or hating as I love everything else about the Rotary. I guess the word disappointment sums up how I feel and I just wanted my voice heard. Hopefully one day the XP-G Rotary will have a beam that makes the other lights blush. For now I'm done beating this dead horse. I also appreciate everyone who commented on my post and pics.

I guess its just whether you feel the Rotary's advantages and features outweigh its shortcomings (in this case, the beam)...Unless the ringy beam is fixed soon, which I doubt it will be, that is a tradeoff you have to make if you want to keep using the Rotary.

Oh, and just to let you know, pointing out something you're unhappy with about your light isn't counted as bashing or hating...

;)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I bit the bullet, my prefered configuratation, flat tail-cap and black bezel turned up on the market place so I decided to grab it for a test run. I'll worry about the beam and carry options later. First I checkout the UI and if I like it I can sell it again and wait for improvements, or figure out some mods to make it right if it needs tweaking. If I don't really like it then it also goes back to the market place.

I can see why people wnat it perfect as that's what they have read so much about, and it is considered an expensive light given all the alternatives available today.

Maybe my other Clicky will come out of hiding now that a nw friend will be arriving.... or it might hide even deeper.

aceo07

Enlightened
i'm curious why Henry didn't get the rotary down to the surefire titan's lowest level?

Henry has always had the HDS models' minimum output at 0.07. The output levels are spaced eventually so you can tell the difference in output. It uses a factor of 0.707. So, for 200 lumens, the next level down is (200*0.707)=141, then (141*0.707)=100, and so on all the way down to ~0.07 lumens.

I assume that Henry didn't want to change how the output levels are calculated and didn't want to add more levels (unless needed). 200 lumen models have 24 levels and (my) U60 had 20 levels.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see why people wnat it perfect as that's what they have read so much about, and it is considered an expensive light given all the alternatives available today.

On one level it makes some sense, I suppose, but on another level it makes no sense at all since a flashlight with a "flawed" beam will do the job of putting light where you want it just as well as a light with a "perfect" beam. The way some folks are acting, you'd think a slight ring around the edge of the beam make a flashlight all but unusable.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
No, not unusuable - I think that's overstating the case. I don't think anyone has said that the beam artifacts have prevented them from using the light.

But it is a premium product, so cosmetics and beam quality are part of the package.

To say that it still puts light on the target is a bit like saying that a hi-fi system with poorer sound quality than expected still plays the music.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights are designed to be used as tools, not for white wall hunting or high fidelity sound reproduction (lol moonshadow! :p). So rather than fret about nit-picks (the hint of a ring on the beam's periphery? an emitter so slightly off-center it can only be noticed under magnification?), focus instead on their toughness & unparalleled internet reputation. I mean what other light on the planet can survive an EMP... or take a bullet?!

:rock:

Okay you guys really do take your LOW levels seriously LOL!

:eek:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not unusuable - I think that's overstating the case. I don't think anyone has said that the beam artifacts have prevented them from using the light. But it is a premium product, so cosmetics and beam quality are part of the package.

But you have to admit, some people are acting like minor artifacts in the beam is a serious usability issue. And speaking of premium products, take a look at the previous page for a similarly "flawed" beamshot from a $500 McGizmo. It really helps put things in perspective. As others have said, stop lighting up white walls and you'll be fine.

To say that it still puts light on the target is a bit like saying that a hi-fi system with poorer sound quality than expected still plays the music.

Bad analogy. The difference is that a poor quality hi-fi system does a meaningfully worse job serving its intended purpose than a flashlight with a slightly flawed but still perfectly functional and usable beam.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Bad analogy. The difference is that a poor quality hi-fi system does a meaningfully worse job serving its intended purpose than a flashlight with a slightly flawed but still perfectly functional and usable beam.

Well, if I bought a $200 HDS, I'd consider a flawed beam 'bad' even though technically, it might not serve its intended purpose any worse than a perfect beam pattern. I guess its a psychological thing...when you spend a relatively high amount of money on something, you'd expect it to be more 'perfect' than something much cheaper. Some people would be understandably miffed if a $64 Chinese-made Zebralight had a much more perfect beam than a $200 Made-in-USA HDS.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people would be understandably miffed if a $64 Chinese-made Zebralight had a much more perfect beam than a $200 Made-in-USA HDS.

Frankly, I'd rather have an HDS with its "flawed" beam at my side than a cheap Zebralight with its "perfect" beam. The HDS is so substantially superior in so many ways that obsessing over something as inconsequential as a slight ring around the very edge of the beam seems exceptionally silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.