HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness I was never afflicted with either the flashlight or knife thing.
You guys are just sick!

It took me all day to realize this is your wall and you weren't quoting someone...... :ohgeez:My name is Forrest. Forrest Chump.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA,

Leave it to Hogo to have a freaking cane sword hanging off the wall......

Interesting as well I believe there is a First light USA on the right.....

I am a disappoint at the lack of elves.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me all day to realize this is your wall and you weren't quoting someone...... :ohgeez:My name is Forrest. Forrest Chump.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA,

Leave it to Hogo to have a freaking cane sword hanging off the wall......

Interesting as well I believe there is a First light USA on the right.....

A cane sword? A cane sword. No, no, no, Forrest. There are 3 of them.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

Silly Forest.... The elves are in the lights not outside.

This isn't some Despicable Me minion type operation.

Snareman

Enlightened
OK guys I'm now curious about these lights. Im into high quality gear, always have been. Convince me how these are superior to the surefire backups that I rock. EB1(house), E1B(edc) and E1D(not really used). I work typically at night in a hostile environment and favor the tactical clicky of highest output first. How good it there warranty vs SF, quality vs SF? Performance? I would love more throw and longer runtime, the ability to run RCR would be hotness. OK now school this noob.

Here is a vid I made on them. The lights have so much involved in them that when I tried to make a shorter version of the video I could only shorten it to 17min.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a vid I made on them. The lights have so much involved in them that when I tried to make a shorter version of the video I could only shorten it to 17min.

Thank you for that! I skipped around a little (wanted to get to UI info most), but made me that much more excited about receiving my XP-L 4000k in the coming weeks. :)

FullTwisting

Newly Enlightened
At least on my clickie, installing the included pocket clip inder the bezel throws the reflector out of whack and the beam is jacked up. I too swapped the clip around on my Novatac and it was handy for clipping on a ballcap brim, but I don't see a way to do it on the newer HDS lights. You would need to pursue the Universal pocket clip, which secures with its own collar and can run bezel up or down.

Thanks for the info. Did you install your clip between the reflector and body, or between the bezel and reflector?

I've read that it helps to leave the reflector where it is, which keeps the emitter and reflector orientation correct. But since the bezel now screws down on the clip instead of the base of the reflector, a thicker o-ring is needed under the lens to take up the slack. Has anyone tried this orientation?

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I appreciate the time you all took to help me out.. I'm sold on everything but the rotary dial. Has anyone experienced it not being where you left it after some pocket clip carry? I'm thinking the 325 tactical. I don't see anything about the 250 being throwier, just a bump in hotspot with the 325 correct?

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the time you all took to help me out.. I'm sold on everything but the rotary dial. Has anyone experienced it not being where you left it after some pocket clip carry? I'm thinking the 325 tactical. I don't see anything about the 250 being throwier, just a bump in hotspot with the 325 correct?

No it's a very solid, smooth dial.

Think of it as a high quality home theatre receiver volume dial with 3-4x the friction/resistance that is very well dampened.

GearHunter

Enlightened

Think of it as a high quality home theatre receiver volume dial with 3-4x the friction/resistance that is very well dampened.

Thank you for that example. It's the best I've heard and just convinced me to give it a shot on my next HDS

doctordun

Enlightened
Is there much difference in tint between the 170 neutral that I have and new 200 HCRI?
I suppose I qualify as a tint snob rather than a lumen snob. The 30 lumen difference is probably not that noticeable unless compared side by side.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

HAHAHAHA. In person, I always describe it as "you know when you go to your rich friends house and they have those fancy smooth light dimmer switches?"

This may be an outdated way to describe it as now it seems everyone has em.

Per Henry, The throw is ruffly the same, the 325 just pushes those lumens over a wider area. I would say it may even appear slightly less throwier than the 250 as our eyes are looking at a cone of light. Narrower cones tend to appear brighter.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAHAHAHA. In person, I always describe it as "you know when you go to your rich friends house and they have those fancy smooth light dimmer switches?"

Per Henry, The throw is ruffly the same, the 325 just pushes those lumens over a wider area. I would say it may even appear slightly less throwier than the 250 as our eyes are looking at a cone of light. Narrower cones tend to appear brighter.

Once you have experienced a Maxabeam on tight focus.... you learn that throw is very relative & 99% of our flashlights simply have varying degrees of "punchy flood" as I think PSM first called it when he was describing his first XP-G Haiku.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Once you have experienced a Maxabeam on tight focus.... you learn that throw is very relative & 99% of our flashlights simply have varying degrees of "punchy flood" as I think PSM first called it when he was describing his first XP-G Haiku.

That's right! I love me some punchy flood, beam is so useful. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic

Excellent point. I've noticed that the XM-L2 (I don't have an XP-L) beam spreads out so widely that although it is actually lighting up an entire wooded area it appears to not reach it at all. The XP-G2 may actually be dimmer but it only lights a couple of trees so it is easy to discern light from dark. From a head this small I really don't expect much throw without some sort of optic and I don't like optics anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.