HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you charge your suspicious battery and put it in Malkoff or another powerful light and detect the operating time, then if it is suspicious, the light will go out very quickly. I had with one 18650 battery, it lost capacity too quickly, but before that it had undergone multiple discharges below 2.5 volts.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I found that the battery was unable to sustain maximum output... battery tested at 3.83v.
When I replaced the battery it cycled up through the levels, then sustained max output.

hopefully all normal, bearing in mind that the light was being asked to provide Max output, repeatedly after stepping down
(possible thermal regulationn)

I did a battery voltage test that showed my HDS Rotary stepped down at 3.4v

HDS Rotary w 16340, steps down @~3.4v, this is normal

this visual may also help

I have not seen anything posted that correlates the step down in the above chart, at the 32 minute mark, with voltage. Other than my own test..

I hope more people contribute data for their step down voltage testing.

I expect the same voltage applies to both 18650 and 16340, the difference would be runtime.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input, everyone. I was using the light cold and only briefly, so there would have been no thermal regulation. Also, I do enable burst mode on all of my HDSes, but the step down occurred within one second after accessing maximum.

I'm thinking the problem is with the battery, but I'll keep an eye on it. I may do as Desert Snake suggested and test the run time in another flashlight.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking the problem is with the battery

I suggest you also test the battery in your HDS now, to determine at what voltage it steps down.

Then you could learn if the one that stepped down at 3.8 is unusual, in your HDS. I would retest that battery after a full charge. It is possible that it was simply depleted, and that the voltage reading was just a "surface charge" after being allowed to rest and rebound.

I suggest you disable burst for the testing (pic is a link)

Last edited:

Nekolf

Newly Enlightened
No worries on the High Noon for your ti. We have a few left and as long as you emailed Henry, he will put one away for you.
I keep track of inventory and just checked stock and you don't have to worry.

I just emailed Henry as well.

Hi 保護観察官, I placed an order yesterday and emailed to [email protected]. The subject of the email is "Titanium Clicky upgrade for NB45, Executive" but I have not received from Henry yet. I want to know an NB45 was reserved for me!

edit: I got an notification from Henry!:party:

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Just purchased an EDC Basic 42 XR from another member which is my first "legacy" HDS...After jumping into it's programming (using the 250-click back door) it's so interesting to see first hand how the HDS has evolved. They've certainly come a long way but the fact that that a light well over 10 years old can still fascinate me is impressive!

38sgnI8.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased an EDC Basic 42 XR from another member which is my first "legacy" HDS...After jumping into it's programming (using the 250-click back door) it's so interesting to see first hand how the HDS has evolved. They've certainly come a long way but the fact that that a light well over 10 years old can still fascinate me is impressive!

16 years or thereabouts (2004). Heck, the Rotary came out in 2010.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
16 years or thereabouts (2004). Heck, the Rotary came out in 2010.

16 years! I wasn't into real lights back then but this would have blown me away. 16 years ago I was using some damn county-issue 2-D cell and the on-off switch was a good whack while in the ON position....then cussing about how come nobody can make a f***ing flashlight that f***ing works! Had I only known....

klackey

Enlightened
Wow! ""
Heck, the Rotary came out in 2010. ""
Seems like yesterday that I was at SHOT show eagerly waiting to get in to the "small" rooms to see the new HDS rotery light. Nuts! I do recall the long wait list. We are truly in a golden age of HDS.... we are waiting for the newest emitters and trivial fun stuff. Back in the day it was excitement to actually just receive a "standard" one , after months and months, and months, and months of ordering. We have become spoiled..... and I love it. Keep up the good work and thanks for spoiling us.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought I'd say this but I'm warming up to the idea of using pocket clips on my executives. Does the decorative clip provide more retention than the plain one? From the photos, it looks like the decorative clip has more surface area at the point where it grips your clothing. Any truth in that?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that was a yes. The decorative, I think is the same as the OR clip that I use, I have the standard clip on a G2. The standard one is much flatter and more narrow., more like a pen clip, whereas the OR one has less flex.
I do need one of my HDSs clipped for work, although I do prefer them without on the very odd occasion that I'm not wearing overalls.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Peter. I also prefer the ergonomics of the light without the clip but I want to make better use of pocket space. Just placed an order for a decorative clip from an HDS dealer. Got a 25% discount!

Johnnyh

Enlightened
This has probably been answered before but do you guys know which will run longer...using locator flash or leaving the light on the lowest setting?

In other words which one has greater demand from the battery?

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
I'm going to take a guesstimate and say that the locator flash will run longer -- due to it only activating every few seconds vs.the light being constantly on.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has probably been answered before but do you guys know which will run longer...using locator flash or leaving the light on the lowest setting?

In other words which one has greater demand from the battery?

iirc past tests, w 16340, your EDC Basic will run on the lowest mode for about 15 days,

while your ACME HDS lights will only run 3 days.

Locator flash on the ACME lights will run much longer than the lowest mode.. at least according to this post

I'm going to take a guesstimate and say that the locator flash will run longer -- due to it only activating every few seconds vs.the light being constantly on.

I agree, and with some time spent searching, there are more tests by others that could be found.

The best way to find out imo, is to do the tests oneself :)

After I tested my HDS Rotary for runtime on lowest mode I was very dissapointed, so I abandoned that strategy. Since I find flashing irritating, I recommend tritium bezels for an HDS instead. I like the aqua color best.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current production HDS Executive/Rotary will run much longer with the locator flash than on the minimum setting.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember soneone at CPF made a locator flash test with an old HDS. Was a HDS 85 or something likt that and the locator flash was running ~3 years. But I guess this thread was in the old CPFMP...?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember soneone at CPF made a locator flash test with an old HDS. Was a HDS 85 or something likt that and the locator flash was running ~3 years. But I guess this thread was in the old CPFMP...?

The Basic/Ultimate ran for stupid long run times on the locator flash. That elf had some serious stamina. The current elf can't run a marathon like that. It was a trade off.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Thanks all for the info! It's a great feature. I use it on the bedside stuffed in the holster to tame it down a bit...I can find it at the 0300 head call without knocking all the other stuff off.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This came up in another place in internet hell, so I thought I would put it here as well as the HDS web sight hasn't been updated with it.

Yellow - 100 lumens
Green - 120 lumens
White - High CRI 120 lumens
Blue - 140 lumens
Purple - 170 lumens
Red - 200 lumens. NOTE: 180 on NB35
Red/Orange stacked - 225 lumens
Orange - 250 lumens
Orange/Yellow stacked - 300 lumens
Yellow - 325 lumens

monochromatic emitters do not have a ring on the positive contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.