HDS Systems EDC flashlights (#12)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Is there a link that shows pictures the different type of Bezels?

Here's a pic of the 3 different SS bezels. The black Ti bezel is indistinguishable in appearance from the black steel one.

5126985035_467b21f493_b.jpg

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Wow! The orange with the black bezel and hex screw sure looks sexy!

That's Jughead......from the Archie Comics :). I'll let him know that you think he's sexy !! Also looks a bit like Carrot to me. Jughead no longer wears a black hat. That was part of the price that I had to pay for my Ti Clicky.......(Damn you Pete !!!). I'll order another one soon but don't wanna have to pay $40 shipping for a $22 bezel so I'll wait for the Cerakoted version to come out and order a whole bunch then.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
That's Jughead......from the Archie Comics :). Also looks a bit like Carrot to me. Jughead no longer wears a black hat. That was part of the price that I had to pay for my Ti Clicky.......(Damn you Pete !!!). I'll order another one soon but don't wanna have to pay $40 shipping for a $22 bezel so I'll wait for the Cerakoted version to come out and order a whole bunch then.

lol.. jughead. Did the cerakoted clicky come with this bezel? I thought the bezels were cerakoted too.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
lol.. jughead. Did the cerakoted clicky come with this bezel? I thought the bezels were cerakoted too.

Nope......Jughead originally had a matching orange hat. And he's all orange once more...........at least until I get some more black bezels........or a dark blue anodized one from Chip :whistle:.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope......Jughead originally had a matching orange hat. And he's all orange once more...........at least until I get some more black bezels........or a dark blue anodized one from Chip :whistle:.
But the black bezel doesn't look like the ones from HDS. Mine look more like gray than black. More like pencil lead than the striking black on your bezel. Is your bezel specially coated or has it got to do with how the camera renders the color? Ohhh I love Jughead!

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
But the black bezel doesn't look like the ones from HDS. Mine look more like gray than black. More like pencil lead than the striking black on your bezel. Is your bezel specially coated or has it got to do with how the camera renders the color? Ohhh I love Jughead!

It's just the standard AlTiN coated black steel bezel. Depending on how it catches the light, it can even look a very deep purple. Here's some more pics to illustrate this point:

5126985293_6528711c71_b.jpg

5126984541_6456da135a_b.jpg

5127590578_1a51331337_b.jpg

The change in bezel colour may be accentuated by the orange body........or it could just be me and my colourblindness......or my poor photography skills.......:ohgeez:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Belstaff,

Your photography skill is good to go. I guess it has to do with how the AlTin coating reflects the light. Honestly, I am not keen in the orange cerakote but your orange and black bezel really drew my attention. Well done for this combination! :thumbsup:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Belstaff,

Your photography skill is good to go. I guess it has to do with how the AlTin coating reflects the light. Honestly, I am not keen in the orange cerakote but your orange and black bezel really drew my attention. Well done for this combination! :thumbsup:

I think the WB is a little on the cool side. And consider that the bezel is reflecting the 'cool' light source it ends up abit magenta-ish. It is not really noticeable because it is offset by the orange of the clicky.

Consider the 1st and 3rd picture, the 'white' threads of the cloth. It's possible to see a colour balance shift from warm to cool.

Actually what caught my attention initially was not the black bezel. It was the exterior O ring on the orange.. then I looked up at the black hex screws.. then further up the bezel topped it off.. looked just like a smiley face to me :devil:
Pretty interesting to see the clicky tailstanding too - perfectly straight

notsofast

Enlightened
Belstaff,

I guess it has to do with how the AlTin coating reflects the light. :thumbsup:

That is what I was thinking looking at the inside of the bezel on the original pics. The last pictures showed that to be true.

On another note. In your night trekking thread someone mentioned the difference between the high cri and the zebralight H60W. I for the life of me cannot see any difference.

I have a Ra high cri and a Ra 100W and out doors I can't see any difference except that the 100W's beam is less diffused. On a white wall there is quite a difference.

I can't see owning both and I like the hot spot of the 100W better. I am thinking of passing the high cri on for another member to enjoy.

I wish I had the quality of eyes that you people that see the difference have.

It is a very enjoyable thread by the way, nicely done!

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 4 of original thread as recovered from cache

(I could not find the rest of page 3, nor pages 5-9, in caches)

Re: HDS Systems EDC flashlights (#12)
Written by CLBME on 11-02-2010 04:56 PM GMT

Ok Iacchus, thanks to you and Bansuri posting on the Twisty thread I now have another Twisty on the way. :ohgeez: :thumbsup: I've always wanted a smooth bezel so my next move will be to order one from Henry for the new Twisty.

The question now for those of you who have done it: How hard is it to remove/install a new bezel? I've not done it before. There were some posts quite a while ago but I couldn't find them. Thanks all as usual.

Christian.

Written by nutcracker on 11-02-2010 05:16 PM GMT

nbp said:
I still want a bright green clicky like the color of this smiley. :D Freakin' awesome. :eek:oo:

But Henry says no, and I don't think anyone else can/will do it...so I'm up a creek. :ohgeez:

Here you go. :whistle:(only quick photoshopped, so you can see some orange at the edges)

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=5127590578_1a51331337_y9jq.jpg

Written by iacchus on 11-02-2010 05:19 PM GMT

CLBME said:
Ok Iacchus, thanks to you and Bansuri posting on the Twisty thread I now have another Twisty on the way. :ohgeez: :thumbsup: I've always wanted a smooth bezel so my next move will be to order one from Henry for the new Twisty.

The question now for those of you who have done it: How hard is it to remove/install a new bezel? I've not done it before. There were some posts quite a while ago but I couldn't find them. Thanks all as usual.

Christian.
congrats. that is a screaming deal on those twistys. If all my discretionary funds weren't being pointed Gene Malkoff's way right now, I would pick up another myself. congrats. that is a screaming deal on those twistys. If all my discretionary funds weren't being pointed Gene Malkoff's way right now, I would pick up another myself.

as far as the bezel goes, it is just a matter of wrapping it in a rubber band and unscrewing it. some put it bezel down on a mousepad for similar effect. I am sure someonee will be along shortly with more detailed instructions soon.

let us know how it goes!

Written by CLBME on 11-02-2010 05:35 PM GMT

Thanks Iacchus. Yes, the deal was too good to pass up I'm afraid to say as I really shouldn't have. :eek:

Thanks for advice on the bezel and will give it a shot when I get a new one.

Malkoff items are great aren't they? I have a MD2 w the M61 that I really like. I looked at it for a trip to the MP to pay for the new Twisty but I don't think I will.

iacchus said:
congrats. that is a screaming deal on those twistys. If all my discretionary funds weren't being pointed Gene Malkoff's way right now, I would pick up another myself.

as far as the bezel goes, it is just a matter of wrapping it in a rubber band and unscrewing it. some put it bezel down on a mousepad for similar effect. I am sure someonee will be along shortly with more detailed instructions soon.

let us know how it goes!

Written by nbp on 11-02-2010 08:04 PM GMT

nutcracker said:
Here you go. :whistle:(only quick photoshopped, so you can see some orange at the edges)

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=5127590578_1a51331337_y9jq.jpg

Like I said, Freakin' Awesome!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: Come on guys, that's sweet, right? :naughty:

CLBME said:

Christian.
I had a few posts back and forth with Henry on this topic awhile back. I will try to find them. I had a few posts back and forth with Henry on this topic awhile back. I will try to find them.

Yup, go to part 9, post 591. Start there, and scan the next page or two, there's a few posts from Henry on it.

Written by pjandyho on 11-02-2010 08:56 PM GMT

nbp said:
I still want a bright green clicky like the color of this smiley. :D Freakin' awesome. :eek:oo:

But Henry says no, and I don't think anyone else can/will do it...so I'm up a creek. :ohgeez:
Don't think that would sell well but lime green is my favorite color. Don't think that would sell well but lime green is my favorite color.

Written by nbp on 11-02-2010 09:11 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
Don't think that would sell well but lime green is my favorite color.

There you go again with your silly logic and business sense, messing up my plans. :nana:

But I want a oompa loompa NOW mommy!!! :laughing:

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-02-2010 09:19 PM GMT

CLBME said:

Christian.
I just simply untwisted it with my bare hands. Just make sure that the light is perfectly vertical so that the lens and O-rings don't fall out. I've swapped and changed bezels on all my Clickies and I've never had any problems. When putting the new bezel on, I have the bezel face down on a flat surface and I then insert the first O-ring, then the lens, and then the second O-ring. I then simply invert the rest of the light onto the bezel and twist until there's no more gap between head an bezel. I find this method works best for me. I just simply untwisted it with my bare hands. Just make sure that the light is perfectly vertical so that the lens and O-rings don't fall out. I've swapped and changed bezels on all my Clickies and I've never had any problems. When putting the new bezel on, I have the bezel face down on a flat surface and I then insert the first O-ring, then the lens, and then the second O-ring. I then simply invert the rest of the light onto the bezel and twist until there's no more gap between head an bezel. I find this method works best for me.

Written by pjandyho on 11-02-2010 09:21 PM GMT

nbp said:
There you go again with your silly logic and business sense, messing up my plans. :nana:

But I want a oompa loompa NOW mommy!!! :laughing:
We could always dream can't we? We could always dream can't we? :whistle: As the saying goes... Dream on. :nana:

Written by ShoulderDoc on 11-02-2010 11:05 PM GMT

I hope Henry will offer a Jughead option (Orange body and Black Bezel) w/o holes.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-02-2010 11:09 PM GMT

ShoulderDoc said:
I hope Henry will offer a Jughead option (Orange body and Black Bezel) w/o holes.

But.......then Jughead will have no eyes !! :(

Written by kaichu dento on 11-02-2010 11:21 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
But.......then Jughead will have no eyes !! :(
Sorry man, but eyes belong on potatoes. Sorry man, but eyes belong on potatoes. :nana:

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-02-2010 11:26 PM GMT

:laughing:

kaichu dento said:
Sorry man, but eyes belong on potatoes. :nana:

Written by pjandyho on 11-03-2010 12:14 AM GMT

kaichu dento said:
Sorry man, but eyes belong on potatoes. :nana:
LOL!!! LOL!!! :clap:

Written by CLBME on 11-03-2010 01:40 PM GMT

Thanks Nbp! I forgot that it was you. I'll check it out. FWIW Henry emailed me back today saying that there are no more smooth bezels with the "Twisty" model on them. They are all Clicky designations. Not sure it really matters to me.

Thanks again.

nbp said:
I had a few posts back and forth with Henry on this topic awhile back. I will try to find them.

Yup, go to part 9, post 591. Start there, and scan the next page or two, there's a few posts from Henry on it.

Written by CLBME on 11-03-2010 01:41 PM GMT

Excellent Belstaff1464. Thanks for the help!

Belstaff1464 said:
I just simply untwisted it with my bare hands. Just make sure that the light is perfectly vertical so that the lens and O-rings don't fall out. I've swapped and changed bezels on all my Clickies and I've never had any problems. When putting the new bezel on, I have the bezel face down on a flat surface and I then insert the first O-ring, then the lens, and then the second O-ring. I then simply invert the rest of the light onto the bezel and twist until there's no more gap between head an bezel. I find this method works best for me.

Written by alanjeep on 11-03-2010 03:07 PM GMT

I received my 120E Ra today from battery Station.

I have a few questions.

Mine came with a battery station brand battery.

Thought they all came with Duracell. The battery was dead (.2vdc), is this anything to be concerned with?

It also came with the large silver clip that installs with 2 screws. This is not my cup of tea. What do you guys recommend?

thanks

Written by iacchus on 11-03-2010 03:15 PM GMT

alanjeep said:

I have a few questions.

Thought they all came with Duracell. The battery was dead (.2vdc), is this anything to be concerned with?

It also came with the large silver clip that installs with 2 screws. This is not my cup of tea. What do you guys recommend?

thanks
I wouldn't worry about the dead cell, just throw a fresh one in. If you buy direct from Henry, they come with a Duracell. I wouldn't worry about the dead cell, just throw a fresh one in. If you buy direct from Henry, they come with a Duracell.

My recommendation on a clip is one of Moddoo's. Either SS from Oveready or Ti from Unique Titanium.

Of course, the standard bezel down clip for the Ra works well too.

Give the giant Molle compatible clip a chance though. They ride deep and work well. It might grow on you. I have one installed on one of my Clickies.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-03-2010 03:43 PM GMT

alanjeep said:

I have a few questions.

thanks

It sounds like you got an old stock. If the battery arrived dead, you may have a parasitic drain issue due to a faulty capacitor. If you have a DMM, measure the voltage of a fresh battery before you put it in. AN then (this is the hardest part) leave your Clicky switched off for 2 ~ 3 days and then measure the battery to see if the voltage has dropped. If it has send it back.

As for the MOLLE clip, if it is not to your taste, you have a number of alternatives. You can call the dealer and complain. Tell him that when you made the purchase, you were informed that all Clickies now came with the black bezel down clip. The dealer may send you out a clip. The bezel down clip is a good clip and does its job well, but I have found that the black oxide coating wears off very easily and exposes the metal underneath. If you are looking for an aftermarket replacement, as suggested by Iacchus, the Moddoo clip is a very good alternative. You can get the plain SS version from Oveready.com or the titanium version from Unique Titanium. You can also purchase the stock bezel-down clip from UT. I would go with the SS to match your bezel. If you really want to pimp out your Clicky, wvaltakis2 will be doing another run of Ti clips and you can even have it anodized !!! Another solution is to use a modified Solarforce Clip as I have. I chose this option because it has the lanyard hole. The cheapest option is the modified SF Clip. It is polished SS so there's no coating to rub off. I got mine for $5 from fleaBay.

5127039777_fb77d73eb3_b.jpg

Written by u238 on 11-03-2010 04:15 PM GMT

I got my 170T back and it's much better this time around. HDS told me that they couldn't find the level of dust that I reported, but it sure looks a lot better so they must have done something. My pocket clip no longer rotates either. :thumbsup: I really do love how this light feels in the hand and how it's built like a tank. I am particularly impressed with the wall thickness of the battery compartment and the system that suspends the battery. Judging by the depth of threaded holes for the old clip, the wall of the head must be immensely thick.

Speaking of the threaded holes...

Why do they even exist anymore? Now that the spacing is wider, the old MOLLE compatible clip won't fit, and there isn't another clip that will fit that I know of. Then again, I don't mind having them as it allows for custom clips.

Written by wacbzz on 11-03-2010 04:42 PM GMT

Safety orange, lime green...

Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder and I much prefer the rather bland and boring color HDS originally picked...

InfraredHDS009.jpg

InfraredHDS012.jpg

InfraredHDS013.jpg

:)

Written by alanjeep on 11-03-2010 05:40 PM GMT

Belstaff,

do these lights have parasitic draw by design?

Mine is pulling 1.6mA with the light off.

Serial number is 8026, if that helps.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-03-2010 06:06 PM GMT

alanjeep said:
Belstaff,

do these lights have parasitic draw by design?

Mine is pulling 1.6mA with the light off.

Serial number is 8026, if that helps.

No....it's not a design flaw but due to a faulty capacitor I believe. I think the draw of the electronic switch on standby is in the order of microamps. It shouldn't be as high as what you're getting.

Written by iacchus on 11-03-2010 06:28 PM GMT

u238 said:

Why do they even exist anymore? Now that the spacing is wider, the old MOLLE compatible clip won't fit, and there isn't another clip that will fit that I know of. Then again, I don't mind having them as it allows for custom clips.
I am not sure what you are speaking of here. The Molle compatible clips fit mine just fine, and all of my Clickys are the new design. I am not sure what you are speaking of here. The Molle compatible clips fit mine just fine, and all of my Clickys are the new design.

I like the holes, and would hate to see them go. The huge molle compatible clips serve a good use, and work well. If you are actually using molle gear, they are fantastic.I use one to keep my 170 attached to the strap of my gearslinger.

The holes also allow a wide variety of aftermarket, 3rd party custom clips to be used. Some are very nice.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-03-2010 06:33 PM GMT

iacchus said:
I am not sure what you are speaking of here. The Molle compatible clips fit mine just fine, and all of my Clickys are the new design.

I like the holes, and would hate to see them go. The huge molle compatible clips serve a good use, and work well. If you are actually using molle gear, they are fantastic.I use one to keep my 170 attached to the strap of my gearslinger.

The holes also allow a wide variety of aftermarket, 3rd party custom clips to be used. Some are very nice.

I've heard from a reliable source that future Clickies will be sans screw holes.

Written by iacchus on 11-03-2010 06:40 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
I've heard from a reliable source that future Clickies will be sans screw holes.
That makes me sad. That makes me sad.
:(

Oh well, I suppose I can always have some drilled.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-03-2010 06:48 PM GMT

u238 said:
I got my 170T back and it's much better this time around. HDS told me that they couldn't find the level of dust that I reported, but it sure looks a lot better so they must have done something. My pocket clip no longer rotates either. :thumbsup: I really do love how this light feels in the hand and how it's built like a tank. I am particularly impressed with the wall thickness of the battery compartment and the system that suspends the battery. Judging by the depth of threaded holes for the old clip, the wall of the head must be immensely thick.

Glad to hear that your problems have been addressed. Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear that your problems have been addressed. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Written by u238 on 11-03-2010 08:06 PM GMT

iacchus said:
I am not sure what you are speaking of here. The Molle compatible clips fit mine just fine, and all of my Clickys are the new design.

At some point the hole spacing increased and the MOLLE compatible clip was not modified to fit. This is confirmed as of last Saturday by HDS via email. BTW, I have a gearslinger also :p. At some point the hole spacing increased and the MOLLE compatible clip was not modified to fit. This is confirmed as of last Saturday by HDS via email. BTW, I have a gearslinger also :p.

Written by jslappa on 11-03-2010 08:22 PM GMT

No more screw holes? Darn, I guess my hole-less clicky won't be so rare soon. My sadness ended as soon as both my orange clickies showed up in the mailbox. I've been playing Lego for 2 days. These lights are awesome.

Written by Vesper on 11-03-2010 08:47 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
Another solution is to use a modified Solarforce Clip as I have. I chose this option because it has the lanyard hole. The cheapest option is the modified SF Clip. It is polished SS so there's no coating to rub off. I got mine for $5 from fleaBay.

5127039777_fb77d73eb3_b.jpg
That's a really nice setup. In what way did you have to modify the clip? That's a really nice setup. In what way did you have to modify the clip?

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 10 of original thread as recovered from cache

Written by HIDblue on 11-08-2010 11:42 PM GMT

I was staring at the reflector of my 170 on the low setting, and to my dismay, there appears to be a partial fingerprint on the reflector right where the reflector meets the lens. I can even see the ridge detail of the partial fingerprint on the reflector.

Does anyone else have this issue with their clicky? Am I being too nit-picky by noticing this? And is there any way for me to clean that print off without scratching the reflector? :thinking:

Written by nbp on 11-08-2010 11:48 PM GMT

Easy fix hidblue. This has worked well for me in the past. Give it a try. Turn the light so the button end is closest to you. Now push the button. Can you still see the print?

:nana:

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-08-2010 11:56 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
Hi James,

Why do you have to place the uncoated clip overnight in the water? Is there a reason? Or was it a genuine mistake?

He was testing to see if it was stainless steel. If I'm not mistaken, it's made of spring steel which is not rust resistant.

Written by pjandyho on 11-09-2010 12:05 AM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
He was testing to see if it was stainless steel. If I'm not mistaken, it's made of spring steel which is not rust resistant.
Oh... makes sense now. I thought it was to soften some remaining coating or something like that. Oh... makes sense now. I thought it was to soften some remaining coating or something like that.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 12:10 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
Oh... makes sense now. I thought it was to soften some remaining coating or something like that.

If it was stainless, I probably would have been ok with just polishing it up as well. I like it's understated appearance and low profile. Much better than the Novatac clip, IMO.

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-09-2010 05:50 AM GMT

jslappa said:
Great pics PSM. Whoever sold that to you must not be too bright :duh2:

Either that, or he had a spare :thumbsup:
LOL! LOL! :D

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-09-2010 06:07 AM GMT

jimmy1970 said:
9th017.jpg

James....
This is why I sprung for the Ti Clip. (Pun intended) This is why I sprung for the Ti Clip. (Pun intended)

This settles the argument. :devil:

Written by UnderTheWeepingMoon on 11-09-2010 06:47 AM GMT

HIDblue said:
I was staring at the reflector of my 170 on the low setting, and to my dismay, there appears to be a partial fingerprint on the reflector right where the reflector meets the lens. I can even see the ridge detail of the partial fingerprint on the reflector.

Does anyone else have this issue with their clicky? Am I being too nit-picky by noticing this? And is there any way for me to clean that print off without scratching the reflector? :thinking:
It's virtually impossible to clean something like a fingerprint from a reflector without scratching the reflective surface. Avoid opening the head of your light and touching the reflector at all costs. It's virtually impossible to clean something like a fingerprint from a reflector without scratching the reflective surface. Avoid opening the head of your light and touching the reflector at all costs.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a finger print on the reflector of one of my lights. If it's going to worry you, contact HDS and I'm sure they will be able to resolve the problem.

Written by scottaw on 11-09-2010 07:21 AM GMT

If you had to turn the light on low and stare into the reflector to see a fingerprint, there's no way that should be a return. If the light is functionally perfect, you've got a good light. You can scratch the hell out of a lens and still get the same amount of light, a fingerprint will not make a difference.

Henry gives us absolutely amazing customer service, but things like this, .05mm misaligned bezels, etc are pushing the limits. If we leave him alone for the nonsense, maybe he'll have more time for r&d and catching up on orders.

Written by shane45_1911 on 11-09-2010 07:31 AM GMT

scottaw said:
there's no way that should be a return
I don't agree. We are quite a compulsive bunch. If it bothers him, then it IS an issue. Henry can determine how - or if - he will deal with it. I don't agree. We are quite a compulsive bunch. If it bothers him, then it IS an issue. Henry can determine how - or if - he will deal with it.

I personally would also be very disappointed to find a fingerprint on a light of this quality.

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-09-2010 07:50 AM GMT

I've had fingerprints on a McGizmo reflector before. I sent the reflector to a lab to extract Dons DNA, I am currently waiting on my cloned Don McLeish so I can have my very own custom builder. :D

You can do the same with Henry's DNA, PM sent! :twothumbs

Written by scottaw on 11-09-2010 08:05 AM GMT

If you bought a car for 20k, would you return it for a 1" swirl in the paint? No.

While Henry may fix these things, it's probably just because everyone here keeps crying about it and he has a reputation to uphold. It's a flashlight, if it were made out of solid gold, I'll give you a bit more room for crying. But even still...seriously people?

Standing offer, if you have a cosmetically imperfect hds, I'll give you $20 for it.

Written by MikeG1P315 on 11-09-2010 08:06 AM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
I've had fingerprints on a McGizmo reflector before. I sent the reflector to a lab to extract Dons DNA, I am currently waiting on my cloned Don McLeish so I can have my very own custom builder. :D

:crackup:

Written by shane45_1911 on 11-09-2010 08:22 AM GMT

scottaw said:
If you bought a car for 20k, would you return it for a 1" swirl in the paint? No.
It is this attitude that has lead to a (subjective) general overall decrease it quality over the years, in ALL commodities. If you accept a 1" swirl in paint this year, It is this attitude that has lead to a (subjective) general overall decrease it quality over the years, in ALL commodities. If you accept a 1" swirl in paint this year, guaranteed you will see more 2" swirls next year.

Back to our regularily scheduled programming...

Written by z17813 on 11-09-2010 08:22 AM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:

I guess that means having a fingerprint on the reflector makes the light even more valuable I guess that means having a fingerprint on the reflector makes the light even more valuable :thumbsup: ;) To the marketplace!

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 08:24 AM GMT

HIDblue said:
Am I being too nit-picky by noticing this? And is there any way for me to clean that print off without scratching the reflector? :thinking:

Yes......you're being too nit-picky. A finger print will not affect the beam. If anything, it will add to the orange peel effect. A finger print is not a defect. I would not return a light just because of a finger print. A scratched reflector is a different matter because it may affect the beam or cause the coating to peel off in the future.

If it really bothers you, you can try to clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and a lens cleaning tissue. Be warned !!!! I have no idea if this will cause more harm than good. I suggest you leave it be and use your light to see things instead of looking at every minute detail of your flashlight.

Written by scottaw on 11-09-2010 08:29 AM GMT

You missed the point, I'm saying nothing is perfect, and to expect it for a tool is ridiculous. Do people really seal these lights into climate controlled glass cases and put them on a shelf? I don't, maybe I'm the crazy one. But I don't consider $140 to be a high end piece of art.

Back on topic, are all the gd emitters "golden" tinted? Mine seems much warmer than I expected for not being listed as a "warm white". It gives a very nice color rendering outside.

Written by shane45_1911 on 11-09-2010 08:34 AM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
A finger print will not affect the beam.
No one is saying anything about it affecting the beam. No one is saying anything about it affecting the beam.

In many cases, cosmetics is just as important in a consumer's mind, as fuctionality. To try to discourage this mindset is doing a dis-service to all consumers - and promoting poor QC at a manufacturer level.

Yes, it is a flashlight - and it will continue to function as such. So will a brand new Lamborghini that has a scratch in its new paint from one end of the vehicle to another. Or a Rolex with a chipped crystal. It's all about what you THINK your money should be getting you.

Anyway, I have no dog in this fight...out.

Written by Connor on 11-09-2010 08:58 AM GMT

HIDblue said:
Am I being too nit-picky by noticing this?
IMHO, you are not. IMHO, you are not.

While the fingerprint will not have any visible effect on the beam, you are entitled to receive a flashlight with a reasonably clean reflector and lens. Certainly with a flashlight at this price point.

Fingerprints, smudges or more than a little dust speck here and there means it is not reasonably clean anymore in my eyes.

After all, the emitting end of a flashlight is sort of an optical instrument and I'm sure noone would accept a photographic lens with a fingerprint on the inside either.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 09:02 AM GMT

shane45_1911 said:
No one is saying anything about it affecting the beam.

In many cases, cosmetics is just as important in a consumer's mind, as fuctionality. To try to discourage this mindset is doing a dis-service to all consumers - and promoting poor QC at a manufacturer level.

Yes, it is a flashlight - and it will continue to function as such. So will a brand new car that has a scratch in its new paint from one end of the vehicle to another.

Anyway, I have no dog in this fight...out.

You're missing the point. HDS markets their light as "Efficient Utility, Rugged Character". They are not perfect lights nor are they marketed as such. It's common knowledge that HDS lights have cosmetic issues (missing ano, misaligned bezel, etc). These are known quantities. To return a light with these known "issues" because it has a finger print is ridiculous. It's not like it is being marketed or priced as a work of art. To use the car anology again, if HDS was selling a Rolls Royce then it would be reasonable that the leather was all uniform and devoid of defects. That's what it's customers pay for. But HDS is marketing and selling the flashlight equivalent of a Toyota Landcruiser. What you are paying for is the engineering and the performance. No one who buys a Landcruiser expects the fit and finish to be the same as a Rolls Royce. If someone is buying a HDS Clicky and expecting a perfect fit and finish, then they haven't done their research and they have unrealistic expectations. It's like buying a hammer and complaining that the label was on crooked. Would you return the hammer ?

Written by DM51 on 11-09-2010 09:13 AM GMT

An extended debate on Fingerprints vs. No Fingerprints would most likely be even more distracting than one on Holes vs. No Holes.

Both points of view are legitimate, but you'll just have to agree to disagree. Those who are affected should take it up direct with HDS if they feel it necessary to do so.

Meanwhile, let's get back on topic - we don't want the thread hijacked by such a divisive issue.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-09-2010 10:06 AM GMT

Just got my HDS 170T today! Pictures later! From the brief few minutes I played with it, looks like no missing ando spots, aligned bezel, cool tint (as expected).

Being the first HDS light I bought, the first thing I noticed:

I have never experienced a tailcap switch like this on any other light. It makes me understand the HDS instruction manuels so much more.

I hope it's a sturdy switch! Feels like it...

Written by pjandyho on 11-09-2010 10:13 AM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Just got my HDS 170T today! Pictures later! From the brief few minutes I played with it, looks like no missing ando spots, aligned bezel, cool tint (as expected).

Being the first HDS light I bought, the first thing I noticed:

I have never experienced a tailcap switch like this on any other light. It makes me understand the HDS instruction manuels so much more.

I hope it's a sturdy switch! Feels like it...
If I remember, I think Henry did mention somewhere that the clicky switch was tested for a million cycle. Guess it would take you a whole lifetime to wear it down. It is akin to the clicky in your computer mouse. You could click it for as many times but it would just keep working. If I remember, I think Henry did mention somewhere that the clicky switch was tested for a million cycle. Guess it would take you a whole lifetime to wear it down. It is akin to the clicky in your computer mouse. You could click it for as many times but it would just keep working.

Written by HIDblue on 11-09-2010 10:46 AM GMT

DM51 said:
An extended debate on Fingerprints vs. No Fingerprints would most likely be even more distracting than one on Holes vs. No Holes.

Both points of view are legitimate, but you'll just have to agree to disagree. Those who are affected should take it up direct with HDS if they feel it necessary to do so.

Meanwhile, let's get back on topic - we don't want the thread hijacked by such a divisive issue.
Completely agree DM51. Completely agree DM51.

I didn't think the fingerprint on the reflector would cause such a ruckus. I was just expressing my thoughts and concerns aloud and attempting to see if anyone could give me a suggestion on how to clean the reflector on my own. I had NO intention of returning the light just for that. All of my lights get used rather hard at work, so would a fingerprint on the reflector make a difference in the grand scheme of things? Probably not, but I don't think it's too much to ask to get a clean reflector in a new light from the factory.

Anyways, on an aside, the included HDS bezel down clip that came with my light spins around freely (my 170 custom came with the bezel down clip and not the MOLLE clip), so I'll take that up with HDS directly.

And as DM51 stated, back on topic.

Written by kaichu dento on 11-09-2010 10:55 AM GMT

scottaw said:
...are all the gd emitters "golden" tinted? Mine seems much warmer than I expected for not being listed as a "warm white". It gives a very nice color rendering outside.
That was my impression when I got my first GD D10, but the answer is that it's nothing more than a name and there are some very cold tinted samples out there too. Anyone remember the tint lottery days when it was assumed that you were literally given zero choices on what kind of tint you would get. That was my impression when I got my first GD D10, but the answer is that it's nothing more than a name and there are some very cold tinted samples out there too. Anyone remember the tint lottery days when it was assumed that you were literally given zero choices on what kind of tint you would get.

Written by HIDblue on 11-09-2010 11:10 AM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Foxtrot, I have a 170 too but I think the tint on mine is more neutral/warmish than I expected, especially compared to some other lights that I have that are definitely on the cool blue-ish side. Maybe just luck of the draw...or I'm more color blind than I know? Foxtrot, I have a 170 too but I think the tint on mine is more neutral/warmish than I expected, especially compared to some other lights that I have that are definitely on the cool blue-ish side. Maybe just luck of the draw...or I'm more color blind than I know? :eek:oo:

The beam pattern is very smooth and I'm glad I chose the 170 narrow beam.

Written by u238 on 11-09-2010 11:38 AM GMT

HIDblue said:
Foxtrot, I have a 170 too but I think the tint on mine is more neutral/warmish than I expected, especially compared to some other lights that I have that are definitely on the cool blue-ish side. Maybe just luck of the draw...or I'm more color blind than I know? :eek:oo:

They are definitely more warm than your typical cool white led. They are definitely more warm than your typical cool white led.

Written by scottaw on 11-09-2010 12:00 PM GMT

It is funny now how we can choose and compare, I definitely remember blueish vs "angry blue".

It may take some time to get used to this warmer tint, or I may buy a gt, who knows.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-09-2010 12:15 PM GMT

HIDblue said:
Foxtrot, I have a 170 too but I think the tint on mine is more neutral/warmish than I expected, especially compared to some other lights that I have that are definitely on the cool blue-ish side. Maybe just luck of the draw...or I'm more color blind than I know? :eek:oo:

On closer inspection, it is kind of gold/yellow near the corona, then it kind of gets cooler in the flood part of the beam. Very smooth beam - overall I'm quite happy with it. This is the first GD emitter light I own. On closer inspection, it is kind of gold/yellow near the corona, then it kind of gets cooler in the flood part of the beam. Very smooth beam - overall I'm quite happy with it. This is the first GD emitter light I own.

Like others here have said, I hardly notice the drop from burst 170 to 120. Odd.

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-09-2010 12:44 PM GMT

UnderTheWeepingMoon said:
It's virtually impossible to clean something like a fingerprint from a reflector without scratching the reflective surface.
I found that out the hard way when I tried to clean a fingerprint off mine (it was my own fingerprint, by the way, from accidentally touching the reflector). I got the print off fine, but I also left a number of hairline scratches all over the surface of the reflector. Thankfully, employing nbp's "Point the light away from you and turn it on" technique seemed to fix the problem. That is to say the output and beam quality was not affected by my heavy-handed cleaning. Still, I wouldn't recommend it. I found that out the hard way when I tried to clean a fingerprint off mine (it was my own fingerprint, by the way, from accidentally touching the reflector). I got the print off fine, but I also left a number of hairline scratches all over the surface of the reflector. Thankfully, employing nbp's "Point the light away from you and turn it on" technique seemed to fix the problem. That is to say the output and beam quality was not affected by my heavy-handed cleaning. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 11 of original thread as recovered from cache

Written by Notsure Fire on 11-09-2010 12:46 PM GMT

Same here, thought a tissue would clean it all right up. Made the reflector a nice OP instead. :-D

Written by HIDblue on 11-09-2010 12:53 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Like others here have said, I hardly notice the drop from burst 170 to 120. Odd.
Yeah, I thought the drop would bother me, but unless you're white wall hunting and staring at the beam, you can't really notice the drop during actual use. Yeah, I thought the drop would bother me, but unless you're white wall hunting and staring at the beam, you can't really notice the drop during actual use.

Written by HIDblue on 11-09-2010 12:55 PM GMT

the.Mtn.Man said:
I found that out the hard way when I tried to clean a fingerprint off mine (it was my own fingerprint, by the way, from accidentally touching the reflector). I got the print off fine, but I also left a number of hairline scratches all over the surface of the reflector. Thankfully, employing nbp's "Point the light away from you and turn it on" technique seemed to fix the problem. That is to say the output and beam quality was not affected by my heavy-handed cleaning. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-09-2010 01:22 PM GMT

Yeah, it's really not that big of a deal. If it really bothered me then I could always buy a new reflector, but there was absolutely no change in output that I could see. Plus, you have to look really closely and at just the right angle to see the scratches. Otherwise the reflector appears smooth and shiny. Long story short, it doesn't bother me, and I don't worry about it.

Written by nbp on 11-09-2010 08:30 PM GMT

Did you guys ever check out Henry'stestimonial page? I just found it; It's pretty cool. Some of us are famous. :naughty: :twothumbs

Written by :)> on 11-09-2010 08:42 PM GMT

nbp said:
Did you guys ever check out Henry's testimonial page? I just found it; It's pretty cool. Some of us are famous. :naughty: :twothumbs
:thumbsup:

Written by nbp on 11-09-2010 08:48 PM GMT

Hey Henry,

In the "Lights in TV Shows" thread, there is discussion about whether these Fringe lights are yours. They sure look like clipless Clickies with AlTiN bezels. Can you confirm or deny? :poke:

That would be rad if they were sporting clickies. :thumbsup:

jellydonut said:
Is that what they were? I realized they were single-cell LED lights, but to me they were too small to make out. :sigh: Looked more like generic Fenix/Quark type single cell lights, but I don't know.

http://i.imgur.com/rzLLv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uBYbe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Wl7I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kXiVH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f6ARl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Id332.jpg

Click for full rez.

I always pictured HDS lights as bigger than that since people complain that they are large for single-cell lights.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 08:56 PM GMT

Looks a bit too short in the 2nd pic.....

Written by wyager on 11-09-2010 09:07 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
I think it was generally agreed that the second pic is NOT an HDS clicky, but the other lights are contested. I think it was generally agreed that the second pic is NOT an HDS clicky, but the other lights are contested.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 09:21 PM GMT

they also seem to be holding the lights daintily which makes me think that they are very light......too light to be a HDS.

Written by nbp on 11-09-2010 10:44 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
If you have largish hands that's exactly how it would fit in your mitt. I don't have very long fingers and holding it in that position it looks quite similar proportionally. The shape is right, size is right, the cren bezel is right, sure seems like it. Unless someone can come up with a better idea. If you have largish hands that's exactly how it would fit in your mitt. I don't have very long fingers and holding it in that position it looks quite similar proportionally. The shape is right, size is right, the cren bezel is right, sure seems like it. Unless someone can come up with a better idea. :shrug:

Belstaff1464 said:
they also seem to be holding the lights daintily which makes me think that they are very light......too light to be a HDS.
They aren't THAT heavy. Even the Ti clicky, which is noticeably heavier than the Al clicky can easily be handled with a thumb tip/index finger tip/middle finger tip tripod as shown. Give 'er a try Belstaff. They aren't THAT heavy. Even the Ti clicky, which is noticeably heavier than the Al clicky can easily be handled with a thumb tip/index finger tip/middle finger tip tripod as shown. Give 'er a try Belstaff. :grin2:

Written by pjandyho on 11-09-2010 10:53 PM GMT

That must be the new AA clicky with the new networked multi-processor interface! See how all of them networked together as a team? :lolsign:

Written by nbp on 11-09-2010 11:00 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
That must be the new AA clicky with the new networked multi-processor interface! See how all of them networked together as a team? :lolsign:
Ahh yes, the new HDS model: the Clicky Crimefighter, capable of communicating with other clickies while cracking down on evildoers. I believe it's getting its own CSI platform: CSI Clicky Unit. Ahh yes, the new HDS model: the Clicky Crimefighter, capable of communicating with other clickies while cracking down on evildoers. I believe it's getting its own CSI platform: CSI Clicky Unit.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-10-2010 12:38 AM GMT

nbp said:
If you have largish hands that's exactly how it would fit in your mitt. I don't have very long fingers and holding it in that position it looks quite similar proportionally. The shape is right, size is right, the cren bezel is right, sure seems like it. Unless someone can come up with a better idea. :shrug:

They aren't THAT heavy. Even the Ti clicky, which is noticeably heavier than the Al clicky can easily be handled with a thumb tip/index finger tip/middle finger tip tripod as shown. Give 'er a try Belstaff. :grin2:

LOL..........you're right !!! I guess I'm just used to using a more secure grip !! :ohgeez:

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-10-2010 01:35 PM GMT

Question for you veteran owners:

I just bought a HDS 170T. I read in the manual that when you perform a battery change, the light comes on dimly for 7 seconds to indicate it is functioning properly, and if this doesn't happen to keep the battery out for 60 seconds then put it in (forcing a reset).

Mine NEVER comes on dimly for 7 seconds -- UNLESS I pull the battery for the 60 seconds, in which case it always comes on dimly for the 7 seconds.

Is this not good? Hasn't seemed to affect anything else...

[UPDATE}

...unless the user manual means to pull the battery when the light is already on (it doesn't specify this). It seems to come on dimly for the 7 seconds, then turn off, whenever I perform a battery change while the light is on, regardless of how immediate I screw the head back on.

Written by Henk_Lu on 11-10-2010 01:57 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Question for you veteran owners:

I just bought a HDS 170T. I read in the manual that when you perform a battery change, the light comes on dimly for 7 seconds to indicate it is functioning properly, and if this doesn't happen to keep the battery out for 60 seconds then put it in (forcing a reset).

Mine NEVER comes on dimly for 7 seconds -- UNLESS I pull the battery for the 60 seconds, in which case it always comes on dimly for the 7 seconds.

Is this not good? Hasn't seemed to affect anything else...
That's perfect! That's perfect! :thumbsup:

You just misunderstood the reason and the meaning of the 7 seconds dim light. Instead of waiting 60 seconds, you may also leave the light on while screwing it apart, the capacitor will be empty at once and the light will always light up its 7 seconds.

That's not necessary however, if you don't use another battery. If you just screw your light apart and put it together again with the same battery, there is no reason for a reset. The reset is important for the light to check the battery and recognize it as primary or li-ion. While I don't know what else is checked, the dim light indicates that the battery has been recognized and is OK. :wave:

Written by JWRitchie76 on 11-10-2010 02:51 PM GMT

The second picture actually looks like Fenix PD20 Q5 version to me. I owned one so that's why I think that.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-10-2010 03:05 PM GMT

Henk_Lu said:
That's perfect! :thumbsup:

You just misunderstood the reason and the meaning of the 7 seconds dim light. Instead of waiting 60 seconds, you may also leave the light on while screwing it apart, the capacitor will be empty at once and the light will always light up its 7 seconds.

That's not necessary however, if you don't use another battery. If you just screw your light apart and put it together again with the same battery, there is no reason for a reset. The reset is important for the light to check the battery and recognize it as primary or li-ion. While I don't know what else is checked, the dim light indicates that the battery has been recognized and is OK. :wave:
Ah, I sent the same question to Henry and he hasn't gotten back to me -- probably thinks I'm a moron. lol... Good to know it's, uh, all good. Ah, I sent the same question to Henry and he hasn't gotten back to me -- probably thinks I'm a moron. lol... Good to know it's, uh, all good. :oops:

Written by Henk_Lu on 11-10-2010 03:22 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Ah, I sent the same question to Henry and he hasn't gotten back to me -- probably thinks I'm a moron. lol... Good to know it's, uh, all good. :oops:
Nope, he will answer you, he answered me each time and stupid things I did and wrote for sure... Nope, he will answer you, he answered me each time and stupid things I did and wrote for sure... :rolleyes:

I guess he's quite busy or not in his office, I also wrote him a mail today to thank him for having fixed my 170Cn, which had been a victim of my stupidity. My light came back today and it is perfect by now, even better than it was when I got it 1,5 years ago, for a reason I don't really understand. :twothumbs

Written by nbp on 11-10-2010 04:32 PM GMT

Henk_Lu said:
Nope, he will answer you, he answered me each time and stupid things I did and wrote for sure... :rolleyes:

I guess he's quite busy or not in his office, I also wrote him a mail today to thank him for having fixed my 170Cn, which had been a victim of my stupidity. My light came back today and it is perfect by now, even better than it was when I got it 1,5 years ago, for a reason I don't really understand. :twothumbs
I had talked with another member about having had to send in lights for Henry to fix and he said that it made him feel a lot better knowing that the light had been personally inspected by Henry to see what the problem was and fixed to his specifications. I quite agree with regard to my repaired lights, and suspect that's why you feel better about it too. It's called peace of mind my friend, and it's one of the reasons Henry and HDS is tops in my book. I had talked with another member about having had to send in lights for Henry to fix and he said that it made him feel a lot better knowing that the light had been personally inspected by Henry to see what the problem was and fixed to his specifications. I quite agree with regard to my repaired lights, and suspect that's why you feel better about it too. It's called peace of mind my friend, and it's one of the reasons Henry and HDS is tops in my book. :thumbsup:

Written by scottaw on 11-10-2010 04:57 PM GMT

So I've been carrying my light for a week or so, and my altin bezel has a bunch of scratches :thinking: I thought this was supposed to be super tough?

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-10-2010 05:01 PM GMT

Can you post up a pic ? :thinking:

Written by chanjyj on 11-10-2010 05:01 PM GMT

u238 said:
They are definitely more warm than your typical cool white led.
Mine is.. green. LOL Mine is.. green. LOL

I don't blame anyone. If Henry were to hand select all LEDs he'll never make a living.

Written by John_Galt on 11-10-2010 07:31 PM GMT

scottaw said:
So I've been carrying my light for a week or so, and my altin bezel has a bunch of scratches :thinking: I thought this was supposed to be super tough?

You are aware of the phrase "wear and tear" aren't you? Scratches in the coating/ano would fall into this category. They aren't restricting the proper function of the light, so they aren't a problem.

These are meant to be super bullet proof tools. Tools can show wear (a patina, if you will) but still continue to function properly.

My AlTiN bezel has some scratches, too, from carrying with keys. IT's nothing to worry about.

@ NBP

I think those are older generation Fenix PD20's. The bezel scallops match those found on my LD20 (same head), and the slight ridge has flats to keep it from rolling, as do the lights pictured. They also appear to be much shorter than Ra's (unless that guy has very, very long fingers) and have a taller clicky switch than the Ra Executive.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-10-2010 07:32 PM GMT

On close inspection of the second picture above -- looking at both the bezel and tailcap, that appears to be a Fenix. Older pd20 (not the + model), or a LD10... Bezel "crenelations" and tailcap look the same.

Written by scottaw on 11-10-2010 07:40 PM GMT

Not worried about the scratches at all, I just thought it was tougher than HA, which I havent managed to hurt yet.

Speaking of patina, why haven't we seen a brass bezel for any light yet, that would look awesome, and be a great heatsink.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-10-2010 07:49 PM GMT

scottaw said:
Not worried about the scratches at all, I just thought it was tougher than HA, which I havent managed to hurt yet.

Speaking of patina, why haven't we seen a brass bezel for any light yet, that would look awesome, and be a great heatsink.

I believe you're right, AlTiN is suppose to be more durable than HA. You only have to look at the Clicky on the HDS site that was used for destructive testing to see how well the AlTiN coating held up. I don't have a black bezel anymore but when I did it was holding up pretty well.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-10-2010 08:02 PM GMT

It might be tougher, but it seems thinner, no?

Either way, I've been carrying mine for a few days now, maybe a few minor "micro" scratches, but nothing that I could really notice unless I was looking. They certainly don't go through the coating.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-10-2010 08:12 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
It might be tougher, but it seems thinner, no?

Either way, I've been carrying mine for a few days now, maybe a few minor "micro" scratches, but nothing that I could really notice unless I was looking. They certainly don't go through the coating.

Yep....it's thinner. Application thickness is usually around 1 ~ 5 microns. It is used as a coating for cutting tools, e.g. drill/router bits and other high speed and high friction applications, because of its ability to withstand high temperatures.

Written by beach honda on 11-10-2010 09:22 PM GMT

can somebody please tell me if moddoo clip will work bezel down on a ti clicky? i have one on my ra twisty and when i swapped it out, it seemed to work fine, just need a confirmation from somebody else.

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 14 of original thread as recovered from cache

(I could not find pages 12 and 13 in caches)

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-12-2010 05:52 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
Mine also rotates with minimal resistance (i can spin it with one finger easily). Stock clip. I've got the Moddoo SS on the way - I'm going to assume it'll spin as well since I've read it's the same thickness. I don't care - it holds the light in place. In general - I'm happy if the light functions as specified and if it's as durable as everyone says.
Mine was a spinner with stock clip, my Moddo Ti clip does not spin, not even with force. Mine was a spinner with stock clip, my Moddo Ti clip does not spin, not even with force. :twothumbs

Written by cave dave on 11-12-2010 06:40 PM GMT

I'm still using the 1st gen flush switch on my early "lottery" 170cn executive and 100WW clicky. No problems yet and they both tailstand great.

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-12-2010 06:41 PM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
Mine was a spinner with stock clip, my Moddo Ti clip does not spin, not even with force. :twothumbs
Hey! That's promising news! Either way though, not a big issue for me. Hey! That's promising news! Either way though, not a big issue for me.

Written by nathan225 on 11-12-2010 07:06 PM GMT

I went to going gear today and bought a hds edc high cri its great I love the tint and the way the colors look I have never had a light that felt this well built :twothumbs

Written by jimmy1970 on 11-12-2010 07:14 PM GMT

Great choice of light - I love those Hi CRI lights.

James..... :D

Written by nathan225 on 11-12-2010 07:21 PM GMT

jimmy1970 said:
Wow, free 'tent'. Great deal.

James.... :D

P.S. Great choice of light - I love those Hi CRI lights.
thanks it is my first hds I love this light thanks it is my first hds I love this light

Written by scottaw on 11-12-2010 07:56 PM GMT

To the polling of the gdp's, mine is fairly yellow, I'd call it very warm. I think I prefer the pure white, but it makes outside colors very nice.

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-12-2010 08:49 PM GMT

Lotta High CRI fans, I am an outsider. I cant get enough of my 140GT!!! :rock:

Written by :)> on 11-12-2010 08:55 PM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
Lotta High CRI fans, I am an outsider. I cant get enough of my 140GT!!! :rock:
I'm with you... my 2nd one is on its way to me now. The tints are perfect for me and the beam shape of the HDS w/the Seoul LED is 2nd to none. I'm with you... my 2nd one is on its way to me now. The tints are perfect for me and the beam shape of the HDS w/the Seoul LED is 2nd to none.

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-12-2010 09:53 PM GMT

:)> said:
I'm with you... my 2nd one is on its way to me now. The tints are perfect for me and the beam shape of the HDS w/the Seoul LED is 2nd to none.
Agreed. I have a Ti Clicky and a Ti Twisty and a Orange Cerakote 170. With all that goodness i just can't get enough 140GT. The beam is perfect no doubt. Agreed. I have a Ti Clicky and a Ti Twisty and a Orange Cerakote 170. With all that goodness i just can't get enough 140GT. The beam is perfect no doubt.

I wish there was a way to have a Ti 140GT. :drool:

:naughty:

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-12-2010 10:10 PM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
Agreed. I have a Ti Clicky and a Ti Twisty and a Orange Cerakote 170. With all that goodness i just can't get enough 140GT. The beam is perfect no doubt.

I wish there was a way to have a Ti 140GT. :drool:

:naughty:

I'm sure that when Henry offers the emitter upgrades for the Ti, you will be able to specify the high CRI or the GT emitters instead of the new upgrade.

Written by nbp on 11-12-2010 11:29 PM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
Ti Twisty
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

The Grail of Ra Lights.

Someday when you are ready to part with this one could you give me a heads up so I can sell a kidney or something? Or else maybe by then I'll be rich and famous and it'll be no big thing, haha. I love my Ti Clicky but those Twisties are incredible. :kiss:

If you get a spare moment could you post a couple pics of the Ti duo for me? I would be much obliged my friend. :poke: Now that's a nice pair! :naughty:

Written by PoliceScannerMan on 11-13-2010 10:05 AM GMT

nbp said:
If you get a spare moment could you post a couple pics of the Ti duo for me? I would be much obliged my friend. :poke: Now that's a nice pair! :naughty:
Here ya go. Here ya go. :D

My whole Henry stable, From L to R

Milky modded U60XRGT USOVH Seoul, 140GT, Orange 170, Ti Clicky 170, Ti Twisty 85Tr, 100Tn, 85Tr.

614478037_photobucket_17416_.jpg

The Ti Pair:

Special thanks to Hodsta, he gifted me the Ti Twisty, what a guy!!! :hug:

614478037_photobucket_17415_.jpg

Written by cave dave on 11-13-2010 10:40 AM GMT

Some of you guys have really bulging buttons. Do you not let the air out at all?

Try this. 1st remove any excess lube on threads. After a battery change tighten the head till it just hits the o-ring then unscrew a bit so it isn't touching and let it sit like that for as long as you can stand it. 1 hr seems to be enough, but the longer the better to let the compressed air out. I often do overnight. Now finish tightening the tailcap. I can always tailstand mine after that procedure.

Written by iacchus on 11-13-2010 10:41 AM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
The Ti Pair:

Wow. Just...wow.

Written by derfyled on 11-13-2010 11:07 AM GMT

TInography...

:drool:

Written by gunga on 11-13-2010 11:29 AM GMT

Hey guys, is there a difference in the coating on the black bezels based on model? I know there used to be but I'm not sure anymore...

Do the higher models have a better coating?

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-13-2010 12:11 PM GMT

gunga said:
As far as I know, all HDS lights are made from the same stock of components. The only real difference between them is the emitter. The lower output emitters are probably easier and cheaper to source, hence the cheaper end product. As far as I know, all HDS lights are made from the same stock of components. The only real difference between them is the emitter. The lower output emitters are probably easier and cheaper to source, hence the cheaper end product.

Written by kaichu dento on 11-13-2010 12:12 PM GMT

gunga said:
Hey guys, is there a difference in the coating on the black bezels based on model? I know there used to be but I'm not sure anymore...

The black bezels are only available in steel and titanium and are all AlTiN coated. They're my favorite, except for the bare bezel on the Ti Ra's. The black bezels are only available in steel and titanium and are all AlTiN coated. They're my favorite, except for the bare bezel on the Ti Ra's. :twothumbs

edit: There were at least at one time, black oxide coated variations but I believe it's been a while since there were, and at any rate the new ones are all AlTiN.

Written by Nero on 11-13-2010 01:17 PM GMT

Finally took the time to learn the Customizing of the brightness settings on my High CRI 100 lm. When first reading the instructions, i just got tired. And thought for myself " well, the preset settings are probably the best".... Well they were not. And now i am quite happy that i finally sat down and learned myself the programming.

And the winning setting is: :party:

B: 0.07 ( One click)

C: 13 ( Dubble click)

A:max (Burst, press and hold)

D: 0.3 (tripple click)

/Nero

Written by cave dave on 11-13-2010 01:36 PM GMT

kaichu dento said:
The black bezels are only available in steel and titanium and are all AlTiN coated. They're my favorite, except for the bare bezel on the Ti Ra's. :twothumbs
At one time the lowest priced Tactical model came with a black oxide coating same as the clip. I am not sure if this is the case anymore. At one time the lowest priced Tactical model came with a black oxide coating same as the clip. I am not sure if this is the case anymore.

Written by kaichu dento on 11-13-2010 01:42 PM GMT

Thanks for pointing that out Dave - I updated my post.

Written by Krotchitty on 11-13-2010 01:44 PM GMT

Just pulled the trigger on a high CRI 100... and a quark 123x2 NW.

I ALMOST got a 140GT instead, but spent a bit less and got 2 lights.

This hobby is expensive isn't it...

Written by gunga on 11-13-2010 02:16 PM GMT

cave dave said:
At one time the lowest priced Tactical model came with a black oxide coating same as the clip. I am not sure if this is the case anymore.

Thanks for the info, I have a newer 120T so I guess it's the better coating. Cool.

Just finished my mod, now have 3x Ra R4 5B XP-G Clickies...

:twothumbs

Written by Henk_Lu on 11-13-2010 06:05 PM GMT

I just discovered that thread about a prototype 1 x AA Clicky, which seems to have disappeared now... :green:

That was not funny and I don't think Henry will like such "jokes". There is no 1xAA Clicky and there will never be one. The Clicky doesn't run on 1,5V. If Henry developped a new light which would take AA, he'd surely not look for beta-testers among (newby) CPFers! :tsk:

If you want to do a joke, then let it be a joke and not something which causes nothing else but trouble! :thumbsdow

Written by nakahoshi on 11-13-2010 06:51 PM GMT

Henk_Lu said:
I just discovered that thread about a prototype 1 x AA Clicky, which seems to have disappeared now... :green:

That was not funny and I don't think Henry will like such "jokes". There is no 1xAA Clicky and there will never be one. The Clicky doesn't run on 1,5V. If Henry developped a new light which would take AA, he'd surely not look for beta-testers among (newby) CPFers! :tsk:

If you want to do a joke, then let it be a joke and not something which causes nothing else but trouble! :thumbsdow
You can pull up the cache with a google search for "Prototype 1 x AA HDS Clicky" You can pull up the cache with a google search for "Prototype 1 x AA HDS Clicky"

I don't think its very funny...

Written by wyager on 11-13-2010 09:58 PM GMT

Lol, you guys should loosen up... It was pretty funny. Don't lie, if you saw the thread early on you totally fell for it. :crackup: I know I did... :whistle: Henry will probably make one eventually.

Written by beach honda on 11-13-2010 10:07 PM GMT

I just want to say real quick shout out to HDS. BIG UPS to Henry and his HDS Krewe! Henry and his team have always been so damn polite and courteous. Always helping me out and answering my oft silly questions and granting strange requests and their patience in dealing with my archaic methods of payment and communication. The lifetime warranty owns. Just OWNS! The ability to use all kinds of battery options both rcr and primaries is primo (my rechargeable batts and Pila charger have already paid for themselves!) The superb construction, the utilitarian "pick the right tool for the job" theme, no frills attitude yet all the bells and whistles.

Just plain ultimate lights.

I can thank Goatee for getting HDS lights in my pockets.

Loyal customer

-cB

Written by Henk_Lu on 11-14-2010 08:44 AM GMT

wyager said:
Henry will probably make one eventually.
Currently, I'm waiting for the 2xAA to show up, can't be long anymore... Currently, I'm waiting for the 2xAA to show up, can't be long anymore... :whistle:

Henry should definetely think about an 1xAA flashlight, today's emitters can run pretty bright and also pretty long on such a cell, widely available. It shouldn't be a Clicky though, but a complete new flashlight, aimed at the users which don't buy a HDS because they need teh special cells.

It sould be a light that is made to run on an Eneloop (1,2V) and which also accepts an L91 (1,7V). You may say it shpuld also accept a 14500 , but AFAIK that would limit its performance on lower voltages...

Written by jslappa on 11-14-2010 09:24 AM GMT

Since we are wishing, I'd love to see a 1xAAA twisty.

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 15 of original thread as recovered from cache

Written by HorseFilms on 11-14-2010 09:25 AM GMT

I've had my High CRI for about a month. I love it! It finally got the chance to truly shine yesterday, because we had a nasty blizzard which knocked out power for about 12 hours.

I had all kinds of fun. :)

Written by iacchus on 11-14-2010 10:33 AM GMT

My high CRI goes with me everywhere. It always wears a Surefire diffuser as well. (BTW, the light has a smooth SS bezel, and it fits wonderfully, you could use it as a bezel removal tool if you wanted to).

Between the both of them, I have a gorgeous pure flood beam always at my disposal. It makes night walks here in the swamp quite enjoyable.

I have to say, the Surefire diffuser might be the best accessory you can buy for a Ra. Makes a huge difference.

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-14-2010 04:46 PM GMT

The high CRI Clicky is easily the best flashlight I've ever owned. I think the only thing that could top it is whatever Henry comes out with next.

Written by HorseFilms on 11-14-2010 05:06 PM GMT

the.Mtn.Man said:
The high CRI Clicky is easily the best flashlight I've ever owned.
Agreed. Even the firefighter who showed up to check on the sparking power line commented on it. Agreed. Even the firefighter who showed up to check on the sparking power line commented on it.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-15-2010 01:19 AM GMT

PoliceScannerMan said:
:wow: :bow: :faint: :bow: :rock: :wow:

Written by mefistofele86 on 11-15-2010 04:14 AM GMT

Hi, i have the high CRI and i'm really happy with it but now i would like to experiment the 170T :p How bright is compared to other lights? Thank you

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-15-2010 04:26 AM GMT

The general rule is that you need a 4x increase in output for a perceived doubling in brightness, so a 100 lumen light will appear twice as bright at the same distance as a 25 lumen light (assuming all other things like beam pattern and color are equal). So while a 170 lumen light will be noticeably brighter than a 100 lumen light, it may not appear substantially brighter.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-15-2010 04:27 AM GMT

mefistofele86 said:
Hi, i have the high CRI and i'm really happy with it but now i would like to experiment the 170T :p How bright is compared to other lights? Thank you

It might help if you tell us what other lights you have or what you want it compared to.....

Written by mefistofele86 on 11-15-2010 04:53 AM GMT

For example i have a fenix LD20 R4 (almost 200 lumens otf). I know about the logarithmic peception but to tell the truth i find M1X ways brighter then LD20, not only twice..

I have jet1pro, lf3xt, ld20 R4, nitecore d11 but i'm interested in 170T non only for output but for its bombproofness and quality.

Obviously i'm looking for something bright. I have RA 100 high CRI and it seems as bright as other flashlights i own so i think 170 should be truly bright :D

I would like to read your impression about ra 170 output, thank you :D

Written by iacchus on 11-15-2010 11:21 AM GMT

mefistofele86 said:
I have RA 100 high CRI and it seems as bright as other flashlights i own so i think 170 should be truly bright :D

I would like to read your impression about ra 170 output, thank you :D
I have both (high CRI and 170), and the 170 is decidedly brighter. It isn't just the lumen output, but the 170 has a tighter hotspot with better throw. I have both (high CRI and 170), and the 170 is decidedly brighter. It isn't just the lumen output, but the 170 has a tighter hotspot with better throw.

I still use the 170 on some nightly walks. It impresses me every time. I suppose I forget what kind of powerhouse it is.

I cannot comment about it compared to the other lights you mentioned.

Written by HIDblue on 11-15-2010 05:06 PM GMT

Does anyone else notice that there is a shortage of HDS clickies? Is this common near the Holidays or is Henry thinning the herd through the HDS dealers to introduce a new 1x123 clicky? Maybe a clicky with more output on a single 123 batt?

Written by scottaw on 11-15-2010 05:10 PM GMT

Dont know how I was missing this, but the click-press/hold locks on burst mode. Aha!

New settings

Burst: 140

A: 50

B: 13

C: minimum

It's a nice spacing of levels and with memory, you can have it turn on to anything, even locked into burst level. Perfect.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-15-2010 08:06 PM GMT

HIDblue said:
Does anyone else notice that there is a shortage of HDS clickies? Is this common near the Holidays or is Henry thinning the herd through the HDS dealers to introduce a new 1x123 clicky? Maybe a clicky with more output on a single 123 batt?

It may have something to do with the impending batch of Cerakoted Clickies........

Written by jslappa on 11-15-2010 08:25 PM GMT

^^Oh yeah, I remember "mid-November" as being a possible arrival date. And today just so happens to be exactly mid-november :paypal:

Written by kaichu dento on 11-16-2010 06:37 AM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
Yep....it will work but there is more travel. I have tried this with my Ti Clicky which has a version 3 switch. I'm thinking of putting a thin layer of rubber or plastic to take up the extra gap.
I've done that one a couple lights with mixed results, so let me know if you find a reliable approach. I've done that one a couple lights with mixed results, so let me know if you find a reliable approach.

Written by shane45_1911 on 11-16-2010 08:44 PM GMT

scottaw said:
Dont know how I was missing this, but the click-press/hold locks on burst mode. Aha!
Am I understanding this correctly? As long as you hold the button (press), the burst mode stays on indefinitely? Or just for 10 seconds? Am I understanding this correctly? As long as you hold the button (press), the burst mode stays on indefinitely? Or just for 10 seconds?

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-16-2010 08:46 PM GMT

kaichu dento said:
I've done that one a couple lights with mixed results, so let me know if you find a reliable approach.

I haven't really explored this any further. I was hoping than wvaltakis2 would have his clips ready by now. The Moddoo clip was only meant to be a temporary solution. It looks like it may become a more permanent solution as there hasn't been any progress on the wvaltakis2 clip.....

Written by pjandyho on 11-16-2010 08:49 PM GMT

shane45_1911 said:
Am I understanding this correctly? As long as you hold the button (press), the burst mode stays on indefinitely? Or just for 10 seconds?
It would still be a burst of 10 secs before stepping one level down. It would still be a burst of 10 secs before stepping one level down.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-16-2010 09:11 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
It would still be a burst of 10 secs before stepping one level down.

Yep.....mine steps down after 10 seconds even if I have the button pressed. Actually, mine steps down at around the 15 seconds mark. Does anyone else have a longer burst period ?

Written by Sparky's Magic on 11-16-2010 09:44 PM GMT

HDS Clicky 140 Executive - 12sec. On Burst

HDS Clicky 170 Tactical - 12sec. " :)

Written by Blades on 11-16-2010 09:56 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
Yep.....mine steps down after 10 seconds even if I have the button pressed. Actually, mine steps down at around the 15 seconds mark. Does anyone else have a longer burst period ?
I'll have to check mine, I have never timed it, I just assumed it was 10 seconds. Now everyone will be checking... I'll have to check mine, I have never timed it, I just assumed it was 10 seconds. Now everyone will be checking...

Written by scottaw on 11-16-2010 11:50 PM GMT

My epiphany was that a press hold release, then the light stays in burst, with a step down, but you don't have to hold the button after a short hold. Then if you turn the light off, it still comes back on to burst level.

I always thought you had to hold the button for the 4th level, now it will stay there and life got better.

Written by pjandyho on 11-16-2010 11:59 PM GMT

Blades said:
I'll have to check mine, I have never timed it, I just assumed it was 10 seconds. Now everyone will be checking...
For me, For me,

100 high CRI - 12 secs

140 GT - 10 secs

170 T - 11 secs

Written by kaichu dento on 11-17-2010 02:02 AM GMT

scottaw said:
My epiphany was that a press hold release, then the light stays in burst, with a step down, but you don't have to hold the button after a short hold. Then if you turn the light off, it still comes back on to burst level.

I always thought you had to hold the button for the 4th level, now it will stay there and life got better.
With the click, click-hold will also take you to momentary burst from the off position. Two different modes available directly from off, or using the force setting any of all four modes which you can reset in a heartbeat. Pretty damn nice! With the click, click-hold will also take you to momentary burst from the off position. Two different modes available directly from off, or using the force setting any of all four modes which you can reset in a heartbeat. Pretty damn nice!

Written by billbunton on 11-17-2010 04:48 AM GMT

My High CRI is 12 secs

Written by Henk_Lu on 11-17-2010 04:49 AM GMT

billbunton said:
My High CRI is 12 secs
It never came to my mind to look at the watch to mesure the burst time of my 5 Clickys. Weird, isn't it??? It never came to my mind to look at the watch to mesure the burst time of my 5 Clickys. Weird, isn't it??? :poke:

Written by chanjyj on 11-17-2010 05:31 AM GMT

kaichu dento said:
With the click, click-hold will also take you to momentary burst from the off position. Three modes available from off is pretty damn nice!
Isn't that 2 modes you're describing? Isn't that 2 modes you're describing?

1. Click, click-hold = burst

2. Click = Whatever preset you set it for except preset A

Written by pjandyho on 11-17-2010 10:21 AM GMT

chanjyj said:
Isn't that 2 modes you're describing?

1. Click, click-hold = burst (Momentary) 1. Click, click-hold = burst (Momentary)

2. Click-hold = preset B or C (Momentary)

3. Click = turn on in preset B or C

I mentioned B or C depending on which preset you set it to turn on. I had mine set to A.

Written by kaichu dento on 11-17-2010 10:38 AM GMT

chanjyj said:
Isn't that 2 modes you're describing?

I wrote that post while only half-awake and remember being a little confused while I was writing it, so I just gave up thinking and posted it! Went back and clarified what I actually should have posted had I been thinking more clearly. I wrote that post while only half-awake and remember being a little confused while I was writing it, so I just gave up thinking and posted it! Went back and clarified what I actually should have posted had I been thinking more clearly. :D

Written by foxtrot29 on 11-17-2010 10:41 AM GMT

HDS 170T - 11sec on burst - measured it a few times, always come up with 11, never 10. :)

I think you've started something evil. lol

cistallus

Enlightened
Page 16 of original thread as recovered from cache

Written by scottaw on 11-17-2010 12:02 PM GMT

Yes, now I had to know

140t. Exactly 10 sec

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-17-2010 12:39 PM GMT

foxtrot29 said:
HDS 170T - 11sec on burst - measured it a few times, always come up with 11, never 10. :)

I think you've started something evil. lol
Burst on my high CRI Clicky is exactly 10 seconds, though curiously it auto power-offs at around 11-minutes instead of the 10 stated in the manual. Burst on my high CRI Clicky is exactly 10 seconds, though curiously it auto power-offs at around 11-minutes instead of the 10 stated in the manual.

Written by P_A_S_1 on 11-17-2010 01:17 PM GMT

I have run checks on my 170T for the burst and Auto Shut Off and the times always come to 10 seconds/10 minutes exactly. BTW, that Auto Shut Off has to be the best feature.

Written by RobertM on 11-17-2010 02:46 PM GMT

I never timed mine either until reading here...

High CRI clicky - 11 sec. burst (measured multiple times)

Written by jellydonut on 11-17-2010 03:01 PM GMT

SyyQr.jpg

Written by jslappa on 11-17-2010 04:20 PM GMT

^^^Jellydonut,

You made me laugh without saying one word.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-17-2010 05:53 PM GMT

I just re-timed my orange 170 ---> 13 seconds

high CRI ---> 11 seconds

Written by billbunton on 11-17-2010 06:58 PM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
I just re-timed my orange 170 ---> 13 seconds

high CRI ---> 11 seconds
Well heck, they average out to 12 each :) Well heck, they average out to 12 each :)

Written by the.Mtn.Man on 11-18-2010 04:50 AM GMT

Let's all send our lights back to HDS and ask Henry to fix the timing.

:devil:

Written by pjandyho on 11-18-2010 06:50 AM GMT

the.Mtn.Man said:
Let's all send our lights back to HDS and ask Henry to fix the timing.

:devil:
And since we are at it, I want a 30 sec burst instead. And since we are at it, I want a 30 sec burst instead. :naughty:

Written by Neo9710 on 11-18-2010 07:53 AM GMT

jellydonut said:

But my amps go to 11....

Written by carrot on 11-18-2010 08:24 PM GMT

I'm an idiot. I must have lost one of the o-rings on the bezel when I was examining the glass window. Can somebody tell me what the exact dimensions of the o-ring on the bezel-side of the window is? I've already contacted Henry about getting new ones... but I'm impatient and I'd like an answer now.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-18-2010 08:35 PM GMT

carrot said:
I'm an idiot. I must have lost one of the o-rings on the bezel when I was examining the glass window. Can somebody tell me what the exact dimensions of the o-ring on the bezel-side of the window is? I've already contacted Henry about getting new ones... but I'm impatient and I'd like an answer now.

I don't know the size.....but it's the same as the one on the other side of the window.

Written by pjandyho on 11-18-2010 09:12 PM GMT

carrot said:
Belstaff1464 said:
I don't know the size.....but it's the same as the one on the other side of the window.
And make sure you don't loose the other o-ring when opening up the bezel to take the measurement of it. And make sure you don't loose the other o-ring when opening up the bezel to take the measurement of it. :D

Written by bodhran on 11-18-2010 11:48 PM GMT

Carrot....you had mentioned an HDS review in an earlier post. I recieved my first HDS light, the high CRI, shortly after you. I would love to read your impressions of this light.

Written by carrot on 11-19-2010 12:25 AM GMT

bodhran said:
Carrot....you had mentioned an HDS review in an earlier post. I recieved my first HDS light, the high CRI, shortly after you. I would love to read your impressions of this light.
Soon, friend, soon. I feel I haven't put it through its paces enough yet to write a full fledged review. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts about it. But so far I like it and I've been carrying it every day. Soon, friend, soon. I feel I haven't put it through its paces enough yet to write a full fledged review. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts about it. But so far I like it and I've been carrying it every day.

Written by cave dave on 11-19-2010 03:34 PM GMT

carrot said:
:bow:Googlefu: :bow:
RocketTomato said:
I am trying to get a small database started which lists the o-ring sizes used in different flashlights.

Ra Clicky- Body head: 20.5 mm x 1.5 mm
Ra Clicky- Bezel: 20.5 mm x 1.5 mm
Ra Clicky- window: 19 mm x 1.0 mm

That info is also in the specifications of your user guide. That info is also in the specifications of your user guide.

material is 70 durometer Nitrile (Buna-N)

What size is the spacer oring at the tailcap? it might serve as an extra.
:)

Written by scottaw on 11-19-2010 08:43 PM GMT

So I got home from work today and my light was on in my pocket. No big deal...but when i went to turn it off...button wouldn do anything. I had to pull the battery, and it's charging now, any thoughts?

Written by scottaw on 11-19-2010 10:16 PM GMT

Light is stuck on, can't get a reset or anything. Gonna let it sit til morning, if luck is no better, hopefully cs can help.

Written by jimmy1970 on 11-19-2010 10:22 PM GMT

scottaw said:
Light is stuck on, can't get a reset or anything. Gonna let it sit til morning, if luck is no better, hopefully cs can help.
I had a similar problem with one of my previously owned lights with the V1 tailcap. A tailcap fault was the cause - Henry sent me a new one if I promised to return mail the faulty cap for diagnostic testing. I had a similar problem with one of my previously owned lights with the V1 tailcap. A tailcap fault was the cause - Henry sent me a new one if I promised to return mail the faulty cap for diagnostic testing.

Good luck,

James.... :)

Written by Vesper on 11-19-2010 10:32 PM GMT

carrot said:
Soon, friend, soon. I feel I haven't put it through its paces enough yet to write a full fledged review. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts about it. But so far I like it and I've been carrying it every day.
I'm looking forward to this too. I enjoy your blog... I'm looking forward to this too. I enjoy your blog...

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-19-2010 10:38 PM GMT

scottaw said:

What series switch does this light have ?

Written by cave dave on 11-20-2010 06:24 AM GMT

scottaw said:
Clean every electrical contact you have access too. The signal wire and the trace on the circuit board it contacts are a good place to start. Rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth if you don't have deoxit. I use a pencil eraser on the +/- battery contacts. Clean every electrical contact you have access too. The signal wire and the trace on the circuit board it contacts are a good place to start. Rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth if you don't have deoxit. I use a pencil eraser on the +/- battery contacts.

Written by scottaw on 11-20-2010 06:56 AM GMT

Newest switch, just woke up, gonna try a clean and reset and go from

There.

Written by scottaw on 11-20-2010 03:47 PM GMT

Thoroughly cleaned and reassembled, no dice. Ahh well, already sent cs an email, hopefully catch them next week. Not like I have no other lights for a few days...

Written by cave dave on 11-20-2010 05:40 PM GMT

Oh well it was worth a shot. I have the luxury of having two HDS clickies plus a 17650 tube so I can isolate a problem to the tube or the head. I have had no problems that a new battery or good cleaning didn't fix so far, but you can never be too prepared.

Written by DuncanHynes on 11-20-2010 06:46 PM GMT

I did a quick search but couldn't find out--if you order a spare bezel from HDS, does it have the RaClicky website engraved on it?

Written by jslappa on 11-20-2010 09:49 PM GMT

DuncanHynes said:
I did a quick search but couldn't find out--if you order a spare bezel from HDS, does it have the RaClicky website engraved on it?
No one knows that here. BUT, you can do what I did.....Just call and indicate which style you would like, and let them know that you are going to add that information to the notes. Be sure to add the name of the CSR you talked to in those notes. No one knows that here. BUT, you can do what I did.....Just call and indicate which style you would like, and let them know that you are going to add that information to the notes. Be sure to add the name of the CSR you talked to in those notes.

I also ordered a CLicky 140 that did not have any holes in the body for a clip the same way. Henry said for me to just add the notes about it, and that his people will read them.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-20-2010 11:47 PM GMT

DuncanHynes said:

It depends on the bezel that you order. If you order one of the less common ones, e.g. smooth SS bezel, there's a good chance that it will still have the 3 lines including the Ra website line. That's what happened to me when I ordered the smooth SS bezel as a spare. All the more popular bezels should just have the 2 lines (i.e. S/N and HDS Systems).

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-22-2010 02:15 AM GMT

For those wanting to buy the high CRI version, they are currently in stock atUnique Titanium. :poke: :devil: