Hey Audio dudes....

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Re: The (Pro?) Audio thread

PCCs can be a real pain. I think the only thing I have had success in using them for is a flor mount front of stage mic for things like step shows. Even then you have to pad them underneath or every vibration in the floor come through them.

If you have a PZM, or at least what I call a PZM, tape that to the inside of the piano lid...you wil get a really nice sound.

As far as peaking. Peaking is never a good thing. I like to run as close to unity as possible while leaving myself just a bit of head room. This is much easier to accomplish on a desk with VCA groups. Your best bet (here is where more money is required), run a compressor insert over your channel if you MUST. Non compressed sound always sounds better, but compression is better than getting distortion on your master. If no compressor is available, set your gain as high as the situation allows and then back it down just a touch. Then, run your channel as hot as possible all the way through the rest of the board. Im sure you know this, but I'll mention it anyways. You always want your signal as hot as possible through the signal chain without distortion. If your final mixing point is a sub group or VCA group, make your adjustments there and try to run your channels close to unity with just a little head room.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Saaby, again, from the expert's computer, on the boat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif --

(I email them Saaby's posts, but not other responses, Wick, they have a very slow download..)

" the guy still hasn't dealt with the kick drum problem. Until he's
tried to mix without a seperate kick drum track he won't understand the problem he
faces. The single overhead mic "panned center" so to speak ,should work fine if he
spots it correctly and his drummer plays in balance. In the context of recording a
trio he will have the best chance of getting away without a seperate kick drum mic because ordinarlily the music aesthetic of a trio tolerates more free interplay between
the bass and the kickdrum than the more structured interplay required in larger
ensembles. When mixing a trio, the kickdrum and bass do not ordinarily require
being wed to one another. As we say in show business, Saaby, break a leg! Remember: Tape is cheap! So: Experiment, Experiment, Experiment! ..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Ted, glad to hear they think I'll be able to get away with it. I'd just like to make it clear that, after reading your replies and such, I DO plan on eventually getting a mic for the kick, it's just not in the budget quite yet...