Is Surefire discontinuing some flashlights?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... I wonder how it will affect the price of the older lights... People like their P60 drop ins... or maybe someone else will step up to fill the p60 style drop in Made in the USA lifetime warranty host shoes...

Hmmmmm....

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, LEDs have made huge strides these last few years and SF's line has become quite complicated, so I can understand their desire to clear out older models and simplify their lineup. I don't think most of us need to worry though, SF has great legacy support, so I'm sure we will be able to enjoy our favorites and still receive excellent warranty service on them for years to come.

carrot

Flashaholic
Very shocking that SF is killing off so many lights, but not exactly a huge surprise that they want to cut down on their older models...

Darvis

Enlightened
Not good news for those of us (me) with hoarder tendencies, now I'll be stocking up on spares like there's no tomorrow.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not good news for those of us (me) with hoarder tendencies, now I'll be stocking up on spares like there's no tomorrow.

I came home today to a mailbox with a C2, an E2E, an A2, FiveMega Strion sockets for both and a half-dozen Strion bulbs. Who you callin' an incan hoarder? :D

Xacto

Enlightened

I know what you mean, even though I already have quiete a stock of spare 6Ps. But nonetheless, there are theses fears and thoughts....

Cheers
Thorsten

gottawearshades

Enlightened
LA Police Gear has the U2 on their clearance page, but it's not on the list of retirements above. Does this mean Surefire plans on upgrading it, not discontinuing it?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
All of this information is subject to change and/or being incorrect. However, that U2 is the Team Soldier Edition and may not reflect anything about the standard U2.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm stocking up now while I have a chance...
** mod edit - Please take it to PM's - Kestrel **

Last edited by a moderator:

Retinator

Enlightened
I may try to grab a C3 before it all dries up. I'm afraid the incans are dying much quicker than I thought.
On the plus side, they'll likely be on closeout all over the place during this year

nbp

Flashaholic
I can see some people's point of view in their feeling that SF doesn't want to keep making certain hosts when people are just going to go buy aftermarket dropins for them anyways.

However, I have two lines of reasoning as to why that's silly if that's their reasoning. 1.) People who do this sort of thing are certainly in the minority, so I don't picture it as being a huge monetary loss on LAs. 2.) Yeah, we may be putting other people's dropins in them, but at least we're buying their hosts!!! If this ability to Lego SF lights and pop in new modules disappears with sealed heads, I suspect recreational users like many of us will buy fewer of their lights to begin with because we can't plug in new guts easily. The people/organizations that keep buying them would have bought them anyways whether they change them or not, so really what was gained by getting rid of the easily moddable Incan models?

I don't have tons of SFs, just a handful, but it still makes me sad to see this.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
It seems as if Surefire would be in a good situation even if everyone did buy their lights and use different drop ins as they are still moving the original lights out the door. I have noticed that the E1E is getting harder to find at many of my local gun shops and other sources. I still really like that light with the Lumens Factory drop ins.

I may also have to stock up on one or two spares of the E1E simply because I still have 7 or 8 of the drop ins that are new in the box. I think the collector in me hates to see any old favorites go much more than the actual user in me.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto Robo-Cop...But, on the other hand, if they never got rid of any, what would we collect? What would be a classic. I hated to see the L2/L6 go, but now that they're gone, that makes the ones I have (in mint condition) unique (and a little more valuable).