Is the surefire 6p original worth buying?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surfire 6P with a Malkoff Bulb

No doubt Malkoff makes good drop-in, as well as being expensive
Depends on your want, if you really like Malkoff's product, then its OK to buy it
If not, get some cheaper drop-in for $15 then save the $50 for acessories
Internet dealers offer economic drop-in

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened

Surfire 6P with a Malkoff Bulb = simple and reliable light that you can depend on in the line of duty.

Can you put a $50 price tag on your life?

Also notice that Malkoff bulb hold its value extremely well. Unit like the versatile M30 actually worth a lot more now.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion the thick body offers enough protection to the module
And my $15 never failed on me, the guts inside seldom get affected

dougie

Enlightened

ecrbattery has highlighted something extremely important. Whilst many people use Malkoff products in non life threatening conditions many LEO's and others relay on a light to help them stay alive. Malkoff units have built up a fantastic reputation for reliability and for use as weapon mounted lights. That is why people are prepared to pay a price premium for something which they know will give them the best possible chance of surviving. If you are happy to play Russian Roulette with a unproven lamp module then so be it but others are more than happy to pay a bit more and have the edge.

DM51

Flashaholic

Surfire 6P with a Malkoff Bulb = simple and reliable light that you can depend on in the line of duty.

Can you put a $50 price tag on your life?

Also notice that Malkoff bulb hold its value extremely well. Unit like the versatile M30 actually worth a lot more now.
ecrbattery has highlighted something extremely important. Whilst many people use Malkoff products in non life threatening conditions many LEO's and others relay on a light to help them stay alive. Malkoff units have built up a fantastic reputation for reliability and for use as weapon mounted lights. That is why people are prepared to pay a price premium for something which they know will give them the best possible chance of surviving. If you are happy to play Russian Roulette with a unproven lamp module then so be it but others are more than happy to pay a bit more and have the edge.
Well said, both. :thumbsup:

Vesper

Enlightened

In my opinion the thick body offers enough protection to the module
And my $15 never failed on me, the guts inside seldom get affected

There's definitely a place for cheaper alternatives. I guess it's how you use them. If it's apt to take a beating in any application or get handled frequently in the line of work, I'd personally pay for the extras.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everyone have different perspective on choosing a suitable module and i would not object their choices neither should they
Personally i prefer versatility and "abusability" as well as price
For $50 i can get couple of modules or put a little bit more to buy another host, legoing is definitely a joy
As a self-defense weapon my $10 XPG is doing quite well and the aluminum foil spacing provided a good heat conductor and shock absorber
Some drops and whacks have not affected it up til now
Back on topic, depends on how would the OP think
If he needs a life-saving failure-proof light, then he should listen to the suggestion of the others, i.e. Malkoff
However i prefer a economic-efficient balanced setup, DX goodies
Finally Malkoff is good too, by the full-brass base to dissipate heat efficiently

dougie

Enlightened

Hi jh333233,

I don't think anyone is saying that a $15 module isn't any good? However, when your life in on the line you do need to have an above average level of confidence in your equipment! When your equipment needs to work consistently well and when there may only be the 'one' window of opportunity open to you it is sensible to have bought something which has been proven to be as reliable as possible. In this regard I can't but help think that for those who need reliability the names of Surefire and Malkoff come near to, or top of the list? In that regard a few dollars more seems a sensible price to pay for the extra peace of mind obtained?

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened

I think jh enjoys his flashlights differently than some of us where premium quality is neccessary. While I have little need for another 6P, there is one waiting for me at the post office so I can enjoy this fine light in the future. It'll likely get a Malkoff as I haven't experienced that yet.

There is something to be said for buying high quality product however. Whether I'm buying tools, protective and mountaineering gear, work clothing, chainsaws, or other product, I can't ever remember wishing I purchased something cheaper. I just save longer or work more. Other folks see it differently and are happy with their choices, but once you're spoiled with good equipment, it's pretty hard to go back.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think jh enjoys his flashlights differently than some of us where premium quality is neccessary. While I have little need for another 6P, there is one waiting for me at the post office so I can enjoy this fine light in the future. It'll likely get a Malkoff as I haven't experienced that yet.

There is something to be said for buying high quality product however. Whether I'm buying tools, protective and mountaineering gear, work clothing, chainsaws, or other product, I can't ever remember wishing I purchased something cheaper. I just save longer or work more. Other folks see it differently and are happy with their choices, but once you're spoiled with good equipment, it's pretty hard to go back.
You got my point
If the body offered enough protection, the guts would stay safe with some filling, aluminium foil and Aron Alpha
And I could spare some money for other bodies.
The only one ive ever damaged is an economic XR-E R2, the jelly dome came off (Not about the quality of manufacturer, its about CREE)
Though i have no idea how did it happen
Maybe the moral: No pain, no gain is true
I havnt really experienced a situation that a $15 failed on me and almost got me killed, but i havnt realise any difference between fifthteen and fifty:sssh:
Different value and perspective :)
---------------------------------------------
Back on topic:
If the OP could spare extra cash on pricey module, its not bad to have one since u got the cash
But theres always better alternatives

Last edited:

Max_Power

Enlightened

There are many pitfalls to consider when you concentrate on low price instead of high value. One ends up buying multiple drop-ins/hosts before finding something acceptable, or giving up and finally buying the "expensive" drop-in. How is that saving money?

Things I expect from the cheap drop-ins:
poor reliability
poor thermal design
poor beam shape
poor efficiency
PWM flicker
inductor whine.
bad tint (violet/blue/purple/green) / bad color rendering
Not available in neutral or warm tint
Outrageously overrated advertising claims (900 lumens!)
Too many modes, including SOS and flash, confusing interface

What I like about Malkoff's stuff is how well balanced the design is, and how well made it is. The brightness isn't the very highest, but it does get reasonable runtime and is still surprisingly bright. It is designed to run on high until the batteries die, without thermal-related issues or failure.

It is like buying a BMW instead of a Ford. That extra money buys you superior fit and finish, engineering, parts, and assembly. And it will actually go around a corner at speed!

Capper

Newly Enlightened

Cheeman150,

Your asking so i am replying - i know there's alot of choices out these but from my own experience with this the UltraFire WR-501B w/1000 LED lumens, it's really outperforming alot of what else there's out there for longevity and cost.. Personally, i like the feel of the light in my hand ,it's well machined and the light comes apart easily enough. The 5 modes H, M , L Strobe and SOS is whatever.. I would recomment the light as of right now regardless what else i hear on CPF just because i go with what works unless some can prove me wrong otherwise..

Capper.

Last edited:

Capper

Newly Enlightened
Ok , i am new to the forum but seriously why would someone change the thread topic from the first to the last ???

Capper

Newly Enlightened
Ok i back tracked and see that RI Chevy > Changed the thread topic .. Is that acceptable with you moderators ? Just asking because if that's not the case thenit's setting a bad presidence right ??

Capper

Newly Enlightened

There are many pitfalls to consider when you concentrate on low price instead of high value. One ends up buying multiple drop-ins/hosts before finding something acceptable, or giving up and finally buying the "expensive" drop-in. How is that saving money?

Things I expect from the cheap drop-ins:
poor reliability
poor thermal design
poor beam shape
poor efficiency
PWM flicker
inductor whine.
bad tint (violet/blue/purple/green) / bad color rendering
Not available in neutral or warm tint
Outrageously overrated advertising claims (900 lumens!)
Too many modes, including SOS and flash, confusing interface

What I like about Malkoff's stuff is how well balanced the design is, and how well made it is. The brightness isn't the very highest, but it does get reasonable runtime and is still surprisingly bright. It is designed to run on high until the batteries die, without thermal-related issues or failure.

It is like buying a BMW instead of a Ford. That extra money buys you superior fit and finish, engineering, parts, and assembly. And it will actually go around a corner at speed!

Ok your comparing apples to oranges compare BMW to Porshe or Ferrari not a Ford .

Capper

Newly Enlightened
That's usually a sign that two [similar] threads have been merged.

Ok that's cool :0 just learning how things go and if i happen to step on some toes along the way well that's not my intent lol .. Just want to know before i go .

Thx

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok i back tracked and see that RI Chevy > Changed the thread topic .. Is that acceptable with you moderators ? Just asking because if that's not the case thenit's setting a bad presidence right ??

I changed something? :confused::oops::huh: I just tried to reply to the thread.

Lvacgar

Newly Enlightened

Cheeman150,

Your asking so i am replying - i know there's alot of choices out these but from my own experience with this the UltraFire WR-501B w/1000 LED lumens, it's really outperforming alot of what else there's out there for longevity and cost.. Personally, i like the feel of the light in my hand ,it's well machined and the light comes apart easily enough. The 5 modes H, M , L Strobe and SOS is whatever.. I would recomment the light as of right now regardless what else i hear on CPF just because i go with what works unless some can prove me wrong otherwise..

Capper.

Old thread, but it helped me. I bought several 501 and 502 ultrafires a couple years back. One arrived DOA, two have stopped working within a year. One was dropped from 3 feet, the other not. Fine $7 lights, not reliable.

When I decided to exercise my CCW rights, I sought something to accompany my glock for real world life and death situations. I purchased a light from Randy at PflexPro and trust it. As I read more here and elsewhere though, I began to doubt the Solarforce host. I wanted a Surefire! I decided on the 6P due to to the ease of modification over new Surefire models. I much prefer the P60 to the Solarforce host! I ordered a Malkoff drop in and believe I'll have a light as trusty as my Glock. 6P was had nib for $50 delivered.