is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not supportive but appreciate my hobby as it has helped her on several ocasion prior to this. She ia also edcing a SF E1L nowadays....

Bigpal

Enlightened
Right now, I am a :party:

Today, my better half gives me a card (it's my b-day), which is normal. However, there are 5 crispy 20's with a note that says "buy some flashlights and stuff".

So, I'd say yes. Shiningbeam, here I come! :rock:

Last edited:

A10K

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a flashaholic in the strict sense, just a fellow traveler in search of the perfect bike light... as such, I have a lot of disassembled flashlights, clips, mounts, and wires lying around, and I've hat packages from 6 different places en-route at one time (more than once). My girlfriend used to find my enthusiasm/excitement contagious and was willing to overlook my spending... then, I rigged up a reading light for her Kindle using a single AA, dimmer, and warm white 5mm LED. Since then she's been taking an active interest herself and did the soldering/casing on her most recent reading light, and we wired up some fixed/plug-in LED night lights for our bathroom last weekend. She also has the most wicked dynamo-powered rear blinker on her bike now, too.

FJRick

Newly Enlightened
Well? Sometimes my wife is ok with my new flashlights! She doesn't have the same understanding that I do of why I want more lights? I always have my EDC light in my pocket and I have tried to provide her with an EDC light several times, (which she seems to loose?). She just has a difficult time understanding why I need so many? ( I just don't count them!) She isn't a shoe buyer either so I can't use that excuse with her! I do think she is beginning to not question as much though since I don't really have an explanation anyway. I know I have more than 25 lights, but I also have more than 40 knives, 15 motorcycles, 12 guns, 8 watches, and 6 pairs of boots! Oh Well???

FJRick

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
My significant other is "tolerant", I'm tolerant of all kinds of silly stuff as well.
One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.

Similar solution:

Wife and I set up our finances so that after we've budgeted for normal monthly expenses and savings, each of us receives some "play money," deposited into separate accounts. The actual amount is a percentage of what's left after expenses, divided equally between us. Neither of us is allowed to give the other a hard time about what that money is used for, as long as we limit our frivolous individual purchases to what's in our respective accounts. Sometimes we laugh at each others' choices, but we don't fight about them anymore.

fyrstormer

Banned
Well? Sometimes my wife is ok with my new flashlights! She doesn't have the same understanding that I do of why I want more lights? I always have my EDC light in my pocket and I have tried to provide her with an EDC light several times, (which she seems to loose?). She just has a difficult time understanding why I need so many? ( I just don't count them!) She isn't a shoe buyer either so I can't use that excuse with her! I do think she is beginning to not question as much though since I don't really have an explanation anyway. I know I have more than 25 lights, but I also have more than 40 knives, 15 motorcycles, 12 guns, 8 watches, and 6 pairs of boots! Oh Well???

FJRick
Hi Uncle Rick, can I have some money? :D

timsmile

Newly Enlightened
Today my girlfriend was casually checking out my collections while i was working. She said she really likes my niteye Eye10 and asked how much was that. After I replied she murmured it would be much better if I spent the money on handbags for her :whistle: Anyway she really likes the Quark 123 I gave her so I guess she's supportive? :D

Last edited:

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Wife seem to grunge a little when I was ordering a few hundred $$ in flashlight last Jan. Then I added a few more to replace her old 3-d Mag for her vehicle, and a 1xAA for her purse, plus a 2xAA for her kitchen oven checker. Now she's fine about upgrading several lights, maybe because I got her a few for her use. She also likes the EA4 that also replaced the old 6-D Mag we kept by the back door for backyard night check/use. I guess because I included her, it's all good now.

JNieporte

Enlightened
No problems. I buy guns, knives, lights, and accessories for them all (scopes, bipods, cleaning kits, ammunition, slings, holsters, sharpeners, specialty tools, batteries, chargers, lubricants, etc.) and she buys, well, guns, knives, and cosmetics. Our 11-year-old daughter uses her own money to buy knives, lights, toys, and even has her own Ruger 10-22 that I got for her.

But there was that one time...

Risky

Newly Enlightened
My gf loves tactical gear and has surefire e1b for herself. She not only supports it but she's bought me a few high-end lights.

LGT

Enlightened
When the new light is delivered at high noon, :hairpull: "Why do you need so many lights?" But when She is going on a business trip, the question is asked as if it's being sung by Angels. "Do you have any lights for meeee in case I wake up in the middle of the night?" She used to carry a sunwayman V10, but when asked where THAT light is, "I don't know" It's at tis point when I feel like Mr. Hand. To answer the OP. Yes, and no. Depends on which way "the mood" is swaying. Fire and brimstone or Heavenly light.

Last edited:

SeriouslyFlashlights

Newly Enlightened
I would say she is supportive but I think it is only because if she sees me buy an expensive light she thinks that gives her the right to go buy an expensive purse or new shoes. I disagree with this logic of course, I don't seem to ever win that argument though. I see lots of new purses and shoes.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My GF thinks me getting wrapped up in the specs having so many is silly but also finds them at least casually interesting, especially if I can rope them into an activity like night hiking. She's got a good eye for tint as well, I recently took out a Shiningbeam Blaze (with a cool-white XM-L) and a Solarforce L2P with a 4000k XP-E2 drop-in and she said she liked the color of the neutral white alot better in the woods. She even went as far as calling it "the nature light" :)

rpm00

Enlightened
Not at all supportive... Rolls her eyes and often asks how many more I need. But it also gives her implicit authority to feed her addictions... ;)