It's official,,,,,,My wife is pregnant!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Re: It\'s official,,,,,,My wife is pregnant!

Thanks guys! During my wife's first pregnancy she craved apples. During the second one she was sick the whole nine months and craved oranges. I have no idea what she is going to crave this time. So far the only thing she has wanted that was out of the ordinary was a ICEE drink. Wouldnt that be something to crave everyday? I hope she does not crave ICEE's the whole pregnancy because the nearest place around here that sells them is Wal-Mart and it is about 30 minutes away.
Right now she is sick on her stomach just like her last pregnancy so please pray she will get better and have a good pregnancy.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Maybe it would be helpful to check with a dietician; cravings might be signalling a need for a particular nutrient.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

She has an appointment with her doctor in about a week. She is already taking vitamins. Today she was craving broccoli.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Burger King Coke Icees.
That was the only thing that helped my wife's morning (afternoon and evening) sickness.
You try to find a nutrient in those.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
She has an appointment with her doctor in about a week. She is already taking vitamins. Today she was craving broccoli.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal. Sounds like the baby will have a good start in life!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations Jeff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, What state are you in? I am curious to see what tests your state provides as far as newborn screening is concerned. There have recently been some very dramatic improvements in what your new baby can be screened for in addition to the PKU test, etc.

Not trying to cause you any alarm, as the odds are very much in your favor that everything will work out fine, but supplemental newborn screening (if your state is not up to speed on the latest technology) can offer substantial peace of mind for about $30. It uses the same 2 or 3 drops of blood from the heel stick for PKU, and tests for about 30 additional disorders. Many of these disorders (mostly metabolic) are actually more prevelant than the state mandated ones.

Peter

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

LitFuse,
I am in North Carolina.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff- you should consider yourself very fortunate to reside in such a forward thinking state. North Carolina is one of the top five states in the nation as far as comprehensive newborn screening goes.

N.C. tests all babies for 36 disorders that can be very serious if undiagnosed. My state- Florida, by comparison, screens for only 5 of them though they will add 25 more starting Feb. 1.

Each year, many babies and young children die needlessly from undiagnosed (and completely treatable) metabolic disorders. In August of 1997, my first son, Devin Joseph died during his second day of life. He was born a normal, healthy baby, and there was no warning whatsoever. We were still in the hospital when it happened, and nobody had a clue. Initially, a heart defect was suspected, but after Devin was autopsied it was discovered that he suffered from MCAD, an inherited, inborn error of metabolism. Babies (and young children) who have it can't metabolize their fat stores into energy due to a missing enzyme. If they don't eat regularly, it can be fatal as their body has no way to support itself. Brain damage and death from hypoglycemic shock can occur in hours. Devin died because my wife's milk had not yet come in, and his body was unable to compensate for the lack of nourishment. Seems like a really stupid reason to lose a child, doesn't it?

If we had given him a bottle of formula he would be alive today. If Florida had better screening, he would be alive today. If we lived in North Carolina, he would be alive today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry about the OT hijack, but as someone who has been affected by one of these completely detectable (and fully treatable) disorders, it's hard not to try to spread the word.

Peter

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats, Jeff. I hope the ensuing preparations and arrival of your little one will provide distraction from your kidney stones.

Peter, how truly sad - I can't imagine how you feel. It's good of you to alert us to these relatively unknown, but dangerous, ailments.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Peter,
I am so sorry about your son. I could not imagine the pain you must feel. Dont worry about hijacking my thread at all. If your information can save one life it is worth it. And yes I am blessed to live in North Carolina in so many ways.

jayflash,
It would be nice to get rid of those stones once and for all. My biggest fear is that I may pass them on to my children. I would hate to see one of them have to suffer one day the way I have.

Latest posts