Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Notsobright

Newly Enlightened
You have to understand the manufacturing process. The people in the US are ordering these units from China. Whoever is in charge of this in China is going to subcontract to a plastics molding shop for cases. Someone there has to be aware of what the current design is, what they want, and which version of pad printing they want. Everytime something changes they have to order new tooling and then coordinate which parts are built using new tooling or old. They may have old parts that have useable but obsolete nomenclature. What I am really trying to say is this is difficult to organize and execute all this smoothly even when it's all done under one roof. It is probably easier to mark the current firmware with the appropriate version number than a piece of plastic built elsewhere.

I think LaCross makes an excellent charger. I think you have their most current model. I have no idea if they spec in this product from a contract vendor who builds it for them or if they are distributing them for a good vendor in China who initiated the design of this device. They do some quirky things. However they do it, they still sell a great product.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the case Vxx number has anything to do with the software "version" number that we usually speak of here on CPF. I bought two BC-900's (v-33) about three years ago - they both had a "V12" on the bottom of the case.:thinking:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the case Vxx number has anything to do with the software "version" number that we usually speak of here on CPF. I bought two BC-900's (v-33) about three years ago - they both had a "V12" on the bottom of the case.:thinking:

I'd say you're right. My v.33 also says V 12 on the bottom.

Brownstone

Enlightened
ok, then what is the "new" BC-9009?

BC-900 versus BC-9009 differences, if any, please? it would be odd if the only difference is really merely the color. That is, to bother with shipping a new SKU, bothering with "new" inventory versus the "older" inventory, etc., merely to switch a color, is atypical. They could even have done a BC-900B (i.e. B for black color model) rather than call it BC-9009 if it really only has color as the only difference. I suspect that there are modifications, but the details have not yet filtered down from the manufacturer (in China) to the OEM buyers yet, i.e. Lacrosse.

The phrase "filtered down ... to the OEM buyers yet, i.e. Lacrosse." implies that there is at least one other buyer than Lacrosse.

Has anybody encountered this exact same charger sold under any name other than Lacrosse?

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
...Has anybody encountered this exact same charger sold under any name other than Lacrosse?
IIRC, a CPF member (Tabetha?) owns a 'European' version.

And, I believe someone posted an "IPC" version with pictures in the current 'BC-9009 Meltdown' thread.

What I don't remember is if 'Tabetha' owns an "IPC", but you could SEARCH the 'Batteries Included' Archives (or PM him/her)... :thinking:

asdfasdq4gq

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

i'm from Germany and YES there are various "version" respectively brands:

LaCrosse BC700/900
Technoline BC 700/900 (http://www.technoline.de/katalog.php?kat=15)
Voltcraft IPC-1 (=BC900) (http://www.voltcraft.de/index.php?site=home)
Voltcraft IPC-1L (=BC700)
AccuPower/AccuLoop IQ-128 (http://accupower.de/iq128.php)
Akku-Doktor BC 700
BC700-Charger (without brand)

BUT: there's no difference except the branding on the device and in my mind neither LaCrosse nor Technoline/Voltcraft/AccuPower/Akku-Doktor/... is the inventor/manufacturer of this device but any company in Asia which sells its products under various brands. This happens so often and i'm sure that there are some more "brands" who sell this device with their branding on it! :whistle:

MarioJP

Enlightened
One thing I never understood about this charger is the firmware. Whats the difference between 32 and 35?? I can't seem to find any info about firmwares.

asdfasdq4gq

Newly Enlightened
One thing I never understood about this charger is the firmware. Whats the difference between 32 and 35?? I can't seem to find any info about firmwares.

suggestion: there was a bug - they fixed it. --> new firmware number. Where's the problem?

Why should they give you a list with improvements they made? Thats not a computer program ;)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I'm not sure which revision did what, but one of them beyond V32 lowered the temperature at which the charger will pause to let the cells cool down if they're getting really hot. Another revision dealt with the resetting of the charger frequently, whenever there was the slightest fluctuation in mains power (I live in a rural area, and this is quite common here).

I have a V32. nikiwind had a solution in this thread, for the resetting problem, so I installed a tantalum capacitor to fix that. The temperature problem, I helped some by reheatsinking the thermistors. It is still capable of getting cells too hot, but is better. This mostly only happens with cells that are really old and at, or near EOL anyway, so not that big of a deal.

Dave

core

Newly Enlightened
Thats not a computer program ;)

It's not? I don't speak german, but "computer program" in English means, well, "computer program". By the way, there are secret little computers running in the LaCrosse 700. I'm afraid it affects the 900 too. They are called microprocessors.

suggestion: there was a bug - they fixed it. --> new firmware number. Where's the problem?

A bug... like it causes my family to go on fire? I dunno, I hate to use words like "right" or "entitled", but if I'm a proud owner of a v32 I think I'd "want" to know what was changed.

And since you seem to have signed up for the sole purpose of resurrecting a 5 month old thread about this charger (which I love, btw), I thought you might have answers for a few of these things. Whose payroll are you on?

I think 45/70 gave you a very good answer for why folks would want to know what they have.

asdfasdq4gq

Newly Enlightened
By the way, there are secret little computers running in the LaCrosse 700. I'm afraid it affects the 900 too. They are called microprocessors.

Are you sure? :faint: I thought there would be tiny creatures with slide-rules in?!!:duh2: I'm very disappointed now my friend. I'll return my BC700.

And since you seem to have signed up for the sole purpose of resurrecting a 5 month old thread about this charger (which I love, btw), I thought you might have answers for a few of these things. Whose payroll are you on?

Sorry for replying to "Brownstone's" post which wasn't answered sufficiently - now it is. :fail:

KWagle

Newly Enlightened
The BC900 seems to be out of stock at both Lacrosse and Thomas while the BC9009 is in stock everywhere for $40-ish. I'm wondering if the 900 is history and if I should grab a 9009 while I can...

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
My v.32 BC-900 finally melted cells causing a leakage from a AAA Ray-O-Vac 4.0 and bulging wrappers on 3 Duraloop AAs. I was charging at 500mAh so no biggie but when I went to check on the cell in an hour I was wondering why the display was static (frozen) and not changing. I pressed the buttons and nothing happened. Felt the cells and they were extremely hot to touch. I unplugged it immediately and then when it cooled I noticed the wrappers were deformed and shrivelled. The casing itself was bulged and who knows if I was away out of the house for a few hours what would have occured?

I called La Crosse for a technician a few days ago and today they called. Michelle was her name and she got defensive right off the bat. Saying there is no record of my purchase and it was more than 2 years old (which I agreed) so it was out of warranty and then she actually said the Duracell (precharged) "Duraloops" are what caused the meltdown as they need a special charger. I called her bluff and told her she was misinformed and that the Duraloops were Eneloops in Duracell wrappers and I have been using both Eneloops and Duraloops and many others on the LaCrosse charger for years without incident. All I really wanted was an acknowledgment that there were problems with this version (v.32) especially but she just blamed the cells. I then told her of numerous threads of users documenting these meltdowns that spans years on more than 1 website (Amazon, CPF etc.) and she said there was only 1 website (Which she conveniently wasn't able to find out what site it was when I asked her to find out) documenting isolated cases of only 12 problems. That's when I asked for her manager as she was completely clueless and outright lieing. She is sending instructions to my email of returning it and she told me more than twicethere was no guarantee they will replace the unit if they determine batteriers caused the problem. I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to spend the $$$ to ship it out to them if they will just blame the batteries. I already have 2 Maha C9000s I am happy with but I would miss the LaCrosse if they just keep it or send back the defective unit. Odd thing is the charger still works normal now but I'm afraid to use it for a second meltdown event.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could tell by the way she was talking she had no clue what she was talking about but rather seemed "trained" to say that which is a huge FAIL on part of a company to try to mislead the customer like this.