Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

tandem

Enlightened
I know what you mean about detecting the company line on problems from tech reps. I really don't get La Crosse's customer service attitude when it comes to these sorts of issues. I've never bought one of their products; reports from you and others (plus the failure nature itself) have ensured I never will.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about detecting the company line on problems from tech reps. I really don't get La Crosse's customer service attitude when it comes to these sorts of issues. I've never bought one of their products; reports from you and others (plus the failure nature itself) have ensured I never will.
I think somehow the BC-900 is the ugly child in their product line-up. I recently bought a La Crosse radio controlled clock and the design and manufacturing quality seems fine enough. Likewise, their weather products always look fine to me. I guess La Crosse is not really in the battery business...

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I've got one of those LaCrosse weather stations and while it seems cheaper than the BC-900 I've had for at least a couple years I am not worried about it bursting in to flames like the BC-900 supposedly might! I still use my BC-900 (firmware 33) but I do most of my charging on my Maha C801D that I got maybe 6 months ago. Just got a Maha C9000 that was on sale as well.

I like the BC-900 though and I've never been terribly concerned using it and will certainly continue to do so but only when I need certain features it offers or need to charge more at once. If I am traveling I'm more likely to drag the BC-900 along if I need a quick and flexible charger since it's smaller than the C9000 or C801D.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few pics displaying the deformed and now humped chassis body. You can see the third slot where the battery leaked and underneath the 2nd and 3rd slot is the bulge.

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

bc1.jpg

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on the bulge and if this is typical of the other meltdowns in the past? It is odd as this has the replacement power adapter I got way back when during the initial faulty adapters (the unit wouldn't power on consistently) when they were just faulty not even related to this safety hazard of causing meltdowns.

jalyst

Newly Enlightened
So as I understand it from reading this thread,

The 9009 has now completely supplanted the 900, & any revisions (since fw 34) to fw/pcb are done only to it?
And the only other difference between it & the 900, is that they're different colours?

How does the BC-1000 differ to both of them?

Last edited:

jalyst

Newly Enlightened
So as I understand it from reading this thread,

The 9009 has now completely supplanted the 900, & any revisions (since fw 34) to fw/pcb are done only to it?
And the only other difference between it & the 900, is that they're different colours?

How does the BC-1000 differ to both of them?

I guess no one knows... :(

Last edited:

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
Well several sites are now listing the BC-1000 as a special order item (they don't have any in stock).

amazon.com has it listed as 'in stock' but they want $89.95...