losing my taste for steak

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend had radiation and chemo for throat cancer (successfully thankfully) but now she's completely lost her taste for chocolate and sweets in general. I hated veggies as a kid and love most as an adult. Guess that's pretty normal

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to enjoy my steak rare until I got sick. It was horrible, hours after consumption I was dry heaving repeatedly with the occasional putty grey mush of meat getting hacked up and out. Wound up in the hospital where all they could do was give me some anti-nausea meds and feed me IV drips for hydration. They suspected food poisoning however I suspect it was simply that the meat was too rare and my stomach couldn't process it. It was actually the rarest steak I've ever had and upon getting it I thought about sending it back because it was so rare (and I like my steaks bloody). Since then medium rare, not going through that again. :)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried steak tartare just for the heck of it at a french restaurant. but i made sure to try it in the middle of montreal winter teehee.

fyrstormer

Banned
Commercially-produced meat products are optimized for quantity, not quality. Thanks to my girlfriend whose parents live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, I now know that grass-fed beef from a local butcher still tastes as good as it ever did.

Frijid

Enlightened
i agree with everyone else who stated about genetically modified foods "GMO's"

like a few years ago i read they were giving salmon hormones to make them bigger. Not to mention all the additives.

I'm a HUGE lover of blackberries. The one's that come fresh off a vine taste 10000x better than ones bought in stores.

Store bought eggs, to me, are horrible compared to "eggs fresh from a chicken's you know what" as my grandpa used to say.

If you've been buying at stores, try to find a local farmers market type deal, that sells locally butchered beef.

Light it up

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, I am new to the forum or I'd post a picture of a couple of steak I made last night that I happened to take pictures of just for the heck of it. They marinated for about four hours in some amazingness. The medium rare steak practically melted in my mouth. I feel bad for you not enjoying a good steak. Maybe you need a good marinate for your steak. A lot of people just salt, pepper, and grill which is fine but if you want to add something different to tantalize your taste buds. Well that just might help.

LGT

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I am new to the forum or I'd post a picture of a couple of steak I made last night that I happened to take pictures of just for the heck of it. They marinated for about four hours in some amazingness. The medium rare steak practically melted in my mouth. I feel bad for you not enjoying a good steak. Maybe you need a good marinate for your steak. A lot of people just salt, pepper, and grill which is fine but if you want to add something different to tantalize your taste buds. Well that just might help.
Been there, done that.
Using the steak as a vehicle for other flavors that negate the actual taste of the beef just isn't my cup of tea.
Not saying this happened with yours.
I just used to enjoy a good steak with basic seasonings, just seems like the flavor has gone downhill.

I'll have to try mentions of fyrstormer and others about local grass fed beef. A co-worker mentioned a place that sells it. But it can be pricey.
But I think it would be worth the chance.

LGT

Enlightened
After a few months without, bought a couple of ribeyes from a local meat market instead of the supermarket. Mostly because the wife was asking when are we going to have steak again. Grilled em up and completely enjoyed. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
Grilling method is something I read about and it works. Over high heat, flip the steak every minute. Sounds counterintuitive, but IMO, the best way to grill a steak. Do a search on that cooking method.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's AWESOME you enjoy steak again!!!
After a few months without, bought a couple of ribeyes from a local meat market instead of the supermarket. Mostly because the wife was asking when are we going to have steak again. Grilled em up and completely enjoyed. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
Grilling method is something I read about and it works. Over high heat, flip the steak every minute. Sounds counterintuitive, but IMO, the best way to grill a steak. Do a search on that cooking method.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang it, you just had to mention steak!!! I hit the Texas Roadhouse and got a medium rare filet and mushrooms after reading the thread . Happy New Year yall

broadgage

Enlightened
I certainly enjoy a good fillet steak, and find that I order it rarer than in the past. I don't think that my taste has changed, rather that restaurants cook it more than in the past, or put another way, that "medium rare" today is what was called "medium to well done" 20 years ago.

Meat quality varies a lot, I recently met an experienced butcher and chef who stated that "whilst good beef can be reared most anywhere, the very best beef comes from coastal farms because the salt air improves it"
Most beef sold in the UK is a by product of cattle that have been bred for maximum milk production. Beef from animals that have bred specifically for eating is generally superior.

I have enjoyed excellent steaks in the Pullman restaurant on the train, very few UK trains still have a full service restaurant but those that remain are excellent.

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/On-board/Pullman

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Mennonite farmer a couple of miles from me that raises Black Angus beef. I've been getting a half a cow at a time from him. All grass fed, no antibiotics. Last one was about $3.25 a pound hanging weight.

I like to call the way I like my beef as wipe it's arse, blow it's nose and bring it to me. Outside is broiled in a quarter of and inch and the rest is nice and red. Cooked with sea salt and cracked pepper, there isn't anything better in beef.

MrJino

Enlightened
I can't eat steaks at restaurants anymore, I'm told they use cheaper beef, since most people won't notice.

I try to get my meat intake at home with the more expensive grass fed steaks. And yeah, cast iron makes a HUGE difference! Though I prefer open grill steaks, over wood fires.
I also need it rare as rare can be. And NO SAUCE!! just salt and pepper is all that's needed on a proper steak.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love steak. I can honestly say that the greatest pleasure in my life is having a steak dinner with my wife with a couple good bottles of wine. some candles lit, classical music in the background. the term "steak night" is not thrown around loosely in this house; as no expense is spared. it starts off with the appetizer. usually we will get a good assortment of cheese, fruit and salami going with a nice bottle of pinot noir or chardonnay. then its on to the steak. USDA prime, even better if dry aged, 2" thick, usually I will go either porterhouse (not T-bone!) or ribeye, she prefers NY strip or tenderloin. left out a couple hours to get the inside to room temp (I like my steak rare, but a cool center is off putting), sautéed mushrooms and asparagus. before cooking commences we will crack open a couple bottles of wine, do a couple blind tastings to see which we prefer to have with our steak, and which we will have while we cook. personally im partial to Rhone wines. dessert will be either some kind of chocolate with port, or some sort of cobble with an ice wine. I know all this makes me sound like a snob, but if you knew me youd be thinking "what the hell???". everyone has something they excel at. some people are good with numbers, some people are more responsible than other, some people have good fashion sense, some people are crafty, and some people are charitable. I do steak night.

edit: +1 for the searing hot cast iron method (all about the crust!). I keep mine on the grill because inside it makes the house smoky; literally have it down to an art form. I rarely ever cook a good piece of steak on the grill grates anymore

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't eat steaks at restaurants anymore, I'm told they use cheaper beef, since most people won't notice.

That's only for folks who order their steaks well-done. Pretentious chef's figure that such customers are naive fools. That since they won't be able to taste the steak's flavor, why waste a good cut of meat on them. So they cook up cheaper cuts, instead. Quite frankly, it's sickening. Why cook them a good cut of steak?..... Because they're paying for it. They're paying the same amount as those who want a bit of pink in the middle of their cut of meat. That's why.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm stuck in Europe because of work. But I like the beef. Tartar de bœuf is great. Fresh and good. Cote de boeuf (rib eye) is also wonderful.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hope it's fresh! Raw meat that hasn't been cooked is dangerous enough without being fresh. :)