losing my taste for steak

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still enjoy a good steak, but I now opt for much smaller portions.

Oddly, I've noticed I'm leaning that way as well. A few short years ago, I could easily polish off a 20 ounce steak. Now I'm good with 9 ounces if the plate has proper side dishes to go with the steak. It stinks getting old. But at least my wallet is happier.

scout24

Flashaholic
Wife and I had been migrating away from beef in general for the last few years. A big juicy burger once in a while, but that was about it. We found a local farm who has been raising and selling 1/4 and 1/2 cows for the last 20 years, and are splitting a 1/4 with her brother and his family. We wave as we go by, wondering which is "our" cow. Local grass pastured, local grown and harvested corn fed. Looking forward to grilling again! :)

MrJino

Enlightened
I still enjoy a good steak, but I now opt for much smaller portions.

My.old boss told me about a 4 oz steak he paid $500 for in japan. He said no meat will ever be that tasty and tender. It was kobe, true kobe unlike the states.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Netflix has a fantastic documentary film on steak. Search on Netflix for Steak. Well worth watching.
I did some buckaroo work in my twenties on a cow-calf operation in northern Nevada near the borders of Oregon and Idaho where all the cattle were range or grass fed. This type of beef unlike grain fed beef when butchered does not look like the same, for instance fat is not white.

After the the cattle are sold from a range-land cow-calf ranch after about a year they are sent too a feed lot where they will spend up to twice that amount of time being fed grain and boxed in a close living space.

Because cattle are an Ungulate their bodies have trouble digesting grains and in a addition they suffer from stress due to their kind of captivity. Because of this cattle are given a good amount of pharmaceuticals to help the problems given from this kind of diet and environmental stress.

GLHunter

Newly Enlightened
The only kind of steak I enjoy these days is the kind my wife selects, and prepares... She's a kitchen magician. :)

Also, for health reasons, I'm very discriminating about what I shove down my neck. Red meat and fried food in general are on my 'no' list.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently went to a good steak house here in NYC, Smith & Wolenskys. Steak was good, service was ok. Had the filet mignon w/ cajun seasoning and it was actually pretty good. While I do enjoy a good steak from time to time I actually prefer a good duck. A nicely roasted duck is just fantastic.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came back from a 2-week vacation in Tokyo. Had steak twice. One place specialized in aged Wagyu beef - a platter with different cuts. The other was teppanyaki with very marbled sirloin from Hokkaido. The beef was the center of the meal with plenty of good things surrounding it. The portion size was just right - didn't wake up the next morning feeling like I ate a whole cow.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is for 4 people. Sorry, just the beef.
image.jpg

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
LOL.

Want a GOOD steak?

Australia.

Town that I live near is actually known as.....Beef Capital.We even have "Beef Week". Although my children and I live below the poverty line,(for this country),we eat steak a LOT,it is quite cheap comparatively.