Luminus SBT-70 Announced

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
You know why LEDs are square? Because it's easy to cut them from the wafer that way. Try cutting a circle with a circular saw, not easy to do, that's what dicing saws are. Also, with square die they all touch each other and you just cut little lines to separate them. With a circle you have 4 infinitely small points that touch adjoining die with an unusable cross shape of material between the 4 adjoining die that is useless, this means waste. So to sum up, cutting circular die requires special tools, it wastes material and will thus be more expensive.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Good thing you know more than the manufacturer - maybe you can get a job with them and set them on the right path.

Naysayers - always in the way of progress.
Don't need a job with them, already make better LEDs where I am at.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then do explain why Martin lighting, Chauvet, etc don't use *your* LED's then. Or, are they stupid as well?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know why LEDs are square? Because it's easy to cut them from the wafer that way. Try cutting a circle with a circular saw, not easy to do, that's what dicing saws are. Also, with square die they all touch each other and you just cut little lines to separate them. With a circle you have 4 infinitely small points that touch adjoining die with an unusable cross shape of material between the 4 adjoining die that is useless, this means waste. So to sum up, cutting circular die requires special tools, it wastes material and will thus be more expensive.

You're just jealous because Luminous has a sector of the market that Cree doesn't ;-P

And yes, I did know all that, but thanks for the refresher in basic geometry.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Hey, next you could contact Data and explain to him about the wastefulness of cutting away all that titanium when he makes 007's and Tri-V's.
Just imagine all the heat-sinking of that huge square chunk of titanium.

Your posts have no merit and you are a shill/troll trying to throw Saul Alinsky attacks at your competitor.
Don't need a job with them, already make better LEDs where I am at.
This right here explains everything that needs to be known about your posts in this thread. Let's go back to a more positive tack in this thread, and save the "my company's LED is better than the other company's LED" if you don't mind.

On an unrelated note, I had some Bose 301's at one time - glad they're gone, but your user name brings back the memories.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many companies use our LEDs, more than use Luminus by far.

Really? Your company produces a 9mm LED that can take 9amps?

Have a link? If not, why are you here?

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Really? Your company produces a 9mm LED that can take 9amps?

Have a link? If not, why are you here?
Since when were size and amperage the #1 factors in LEDs? Pretty sure efficacy and efficiency are valued about that.

We have an LED that is 2mm x 2mm and take 3 amps though.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's put up or shut up time. Exactly where do you work bose301s?

Regardless of cost or wastefulness, They have clearly decided there are benefits to a round die, and have produced one.

If the consumers decide the benefits outweigh the costs, then it will be a success. If not, then not. Time will tell.

While you are welcome to your opinion, you're equally welcome to vote with your wallet. I will be voting with mine.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I can guess, but you didn't answer my question.
Not only did he not answer your question, he's completely derailed a thread that is about an emitter made by his competitors and I think it amounts to trolling at the very least.

This thread is not about anything other than the Luminus SBT-70 and all envious competitors need to start their own threads rather than trying to shut this one down.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see this LED put into an aspherical light. too bad luminous charges such a premium.

Craig

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since when were size and amperage the #1 factors in LEDs?

Since....those are the engineering parameters of the customers buying Luminous chips because they can't use multip chip emitters because of uniformity/optical issues, and 2,500 or more lumens are mandatory to compete with discharge.. This is the third time I've stated this in this thread, so you obviously have a reading disorder, or are distracted by the stomps of billy goats on your roof.

The Martin MAC 350 uses *7* CBT-90's, and by using the SBT-70 they can probably cut the number of emitters used in newer models down to no more than 4. Matter of fact, I woulnd't doubt that Luminous specifically designed the SBT-70 on behalf of companies like Martin.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Well, the MT-G2 produces more lumens in a smaller package using less power.

On that end though, do you really want to argue that Luminus products are used in more lighting application than Cree is? If so you'll fail big time. Luminus is a small, niche player in a niche market, they're good at what they do but at a different level.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well, the MT-G2 produces more lumens in a smaller package using less power.

On that end though, do you really want to argue that Luminus products are used in more lighting application than Cree is? If so you'll fail big time. Luminus is a small, niche player in a niche market, they're good at what they do but at a different level.
If you are the face of Cree then I'm glad to see other manufacturers coming out with products for us who no longer will want to buy your emitters.

Samsung is coming on the scene and already sweeping CPF is a strong show of support for Nichia. These petty postings by you in this thread gives me the first feeling I've ever had of no longer wanting to buy Cree products. By the way, does your boss know you're giving their company this kind of PR?