Luminus SBT-70 Announced

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Just a quick update it appears Olight will be coming out with a new light featuring this emitter. The new model is called the SR95S UT, some preliminary details of the light can be found on batteryjunction's site.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
OK, the efficiency of this LED is SO BAD that it seems I have been wrong - it really only makes sense if this is a full substrate, and the circle is formed by electroplating those contracts on top to shadow the edges of the die.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Here is part of the SBT70 Binning Chart
CRI.jpg

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the efficiency of this LED is SO BAD that it seems I have been wrong - it really only makes sense if this is a full substrate, and the circle is formed by electroplating those contracts on top to shadow the edges of the die.

Indeed. I figured as much. It is to be sure a less than elegant solution. And that is about the kindest thing as I can say about it. They clearly could have ablated the active region underneath the gold pad and had a thin gold current spreader run along the side there instead of that massive block.

I saw someone is coming out with a flashlight using this LED. :fail: After fully testing this LED in different setups I wouldn't let this anywhere near something bearing my name.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Indeed. I figured as much. It is to be sure a less than elegant solution. And that min is about the kindest thing as I can say about it. They clearly could have ablated the active region underneath the gold pad and had a thin gold current spreader run along the side there instead of that massive block.

I saw someone is coming out with a flashlight using this LED. :fail: After fully testing this LED in different setups I wouldn't let this anywhere near something bearing my name.

But since this will be available in the NA flux bin in about a week, won't it have even better throw since 1710 lumens/ 70mm2 ​= 24.4 lumens per square mm @10.5A vs a top available bin MB SBT90 at a max of 17.7 lumens per square mm @ 9A?

I don't know they directly compare since the currents are different. But I see the availability of better CRI, 75 vs 70, and 90 and 95 as a good thing. None of the LEDs from luminus have been really that efficient but Cree hasn't made a SBT competitor.

langham

Enlightened
Have any of you thought about making a small insert with a 12v computer fan that could be placed between the body and the head of an SR90/95 to keep it cooler and allow you to run it closer to the before mentioned 60W mark? It seems like to me the new SR-95 head would take quite well to a forced circulation system that drew suction from the battery compartment area, and lets face it an extra few centimeters is not going to deter people from that monster. Seems like to me that Luminous is the muscle car of the led world, who cares about its overall performance or waist as long as it puts out a lot of light and looks pretty.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have any of you thought about making a small insert with a 12v computer fan that could be placed between the body and the head of an SR90/95 to keep it cooler and allow you to run it closer to the before mentioned 60W mark? It seems like to me the new SR-95 head would take quite well to a forced circulation system that drew suction from the battery compartment area, and lets face it an extra few centimeters is not going to deter people from that monster. Seems like to me that Luminous is the muscle car of the led world, who cares about its overall performance or waist as long as it puts out a lot of light and looks pretty.

Rather Brutus

In fact, they are good in their specialized fields of application. They have an excellent temperature sensor next to the crystal, they can be quickly adjusted and saved from overheating.