Luminus SBT-70 Announced

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At last check there were no hard data sheets for the MT-G2 I could find, but what is known is that it is likely a multi-chip emitter making it's inclusion into this thread irrelevant because it's not useable in the applications that Luminous chips are. I would explain why but you seem to replying from a distortion field of your own creation. Given the niche' player has their LED's used in $6,000 moving heads but not in $15 LED bulbs sold on E-bay from Chinese store-fronts I'd give Luminous a bit more respect.

I've also not seen hard numbers on the sales of Crees multi-chip arrays, other than hearing a lot of rumours that they are pretty lousy. Might be because they often cost 2x as much as competitors like Bridgelux per equivelant lumen while having only minor improvements in efficacy.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone should anonymously email a link to this thread to cree's PR department ;)

Kaichu makes a good point... Every person who cares about the quality of the light coming from their flashlight is fitting Nichia 219's.

Even though every flashlight I own is currently using the 90-CRI XP-G, from now on they'll probably be Nichia based - unless Cree can pull their finger out and produce a proper High-CRI XM-L and not that dodgy high Vf multi-die monstrosity they have now.

Last edited:

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
If you are the face of Cree then I'm glad to see other manufacturers coming out with products for us who no longer will want to buy your emitters.

Samsung is coming on the scene and already sweeping CPF is a strong show of support for Nichia. These petty postings by you in this thread gives me the first feeling I've ever had of no longer wanting to buy Cree products. By the way, does your boss know you're giving their company this kind of PR?
That wasn't meant to be petty, it's true, Luminus' products are much more of a niche product, they don't have a lot of different things to fill a lot of markets, they concentrate on big single chips and get that market, they definitely know what they are doing as they are pretty much the only ones in that market.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
At last check there were no hard data sheets for the MT-G2 I could find, but what is known is that it is likely a multi-chip emitter making it's inclusion into this thread irrelevant because it's not useable in the applications that Luminous chips are. I would explain why but you seem to replying from a distortion field of your own creation. Given the niche' player has their LED's used in $6,000 moving heads but not in $15 LED bulbs sold on E-bay from Chinese store-fronts I'd give Luminous a bit more respect.

I've also not seen hard numbers on the sales of Crees multi-chip arrays, other than hearing a lot of rumours that they are pretty lousy. Might be because they often cost 2x as much as competitors like Bridgelux per equivelant lumen while having only minor improvements in efficacy.

Someone should anonymously email a link to this thread to cree's PR department ;)

Kaichu makes a good point... Every person who cares about the quality of the light coming from their flashlight is fitting Nichia 219's.

Even though every flashlight I own is currently using the 90-CRI XP-G, from now on they'll probably be Nichia based - unless Cree can pull their finger out and produce a proper High-CRI XM-L and not that dodgy high Vf multi-die monstrosity they have now.

I don't know why we don't make higher CRI single chips but I can guess. For all of our fixtures and things we use our TrueWhite technology which uses white LEDs in combination with red LEDs and a sensor that adjusts the mixture of the 2 which then goes through a lens that mixes/blends the light for a uniform color output. I think our goal is to try and license this tech to others and sell it in out modules as a lot of them employ this as well. You can get as high of a CRI as the Nichia chips then, but obviously it costs more so it would make us more money. I do wish we had high CRI components like the Nichia 219 though.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I will also apologize and say I could have been more tactful in this thread. I don't mean to put Luminus down, they make a good product. I am just really enthusiastic about what I do and the products we make. It is a very cool industry and a very cool product and I love being involved with it. If people have questions about stuff, how the process works etc. I would be happy to answer them. Also, please don't hold this against me, like I said, just came off wrong due to enthusiasm etc.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will also apologize and say I could have been more tactful in this thread. I don't mean to put Luminus down, they make a good product. I am just really enthusiastic about what I do and the products we make. It is a very cool industry and a very cool product and I love being involved with it. If people have questions about stuff, how the process works etc. I would be happy to answer them. Also, please don't hold this against me, like I said, just came off wrong due to enthusiasm etc.

All is well. We all tend to get carried away at times. :)

Cree, Luminous, Nichia, Seoul Semiconducter, Osram, Philips. Oh, all the cool choices.

Craig

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
All is well. We all tend to get carried away at times. :)

Cree, Luminous, Nichia, Seoul Semiconducter, Osram, Philips. Oh, all the cool choices.

Craig

Good, glad you guys worked the disagreements out, without Mod intervention.

Bill

Epsilon

Enlightened
I've been scouting the regular suppliers and the luminus site for more info or even supply of these new LEDs. Has anyone been lucky and has already acquired one of these babies :)?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, nothing on the Luminous site about the chip. Chauvet has released some new fixtures based on a 75watt / 17amp chip, but it's not specific as to what type. I suspect it's the one.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Yeah, nothing on the Luminous site about the chip. Chauvet has released some new fixtures based on a 75watt / 17amp chip, but it's not specific as to what type. I suspect it's the one.
In the PDF press release, it says that the lighting products will become available in Q3 of this year, which begins around now :). 17amps is a lot for, what I suspect is a 7mm2​ LED. The CBT-90 (at the top of my head) is specced to 13.5A. But with the copper core board technology, overdriving is allways possible.

I hope it is specced to ~10A, whould be nice in high powered flashlinhts :).

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought you might like this close up I just took of the SBT-70.
8685a131.jpg

It appears they manufacture the chips as normal and then ablate the excess active region.

Just wait until you guys get a load of the CBT-140. That will be a powerhouse for sure.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I can see how the circular LED could end up with a lot of waste UNLESS the dies are cut from a rod instead of from a wafer. However, if a wafer is used, a hexagonal die would have comparable optical properties to a circular die, but with zero wasted wafer area.