Maglite ML25LT bulb is dim. Why? A fix?

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
Maglite ML25LT that is several years old. The light has a high and low beam adjusted by turning the head. All of a sudden it seems the light out put on both beams is only about 50% of what it used to be. I put in new batteries but that didn't help. Could it be the LED is failing? If so I could get a whole new light for $25.00 on amazon or I can just replace the bulb. What would be a good drop in to look for thats less than $20 and would be as bright or brighter than the stock one? This light is primarily used as a mechanics and homeowners light. Extra bright would be nice but I'm not using it to shine deer or light up a warehouse looking for burglars.
Just need a really bright all around light.
Thanks, RCRVRP.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Try cleaning contact points and if that doesn't work send Maglite an email describing the issue. They'll fix you right up.

There are no drop in's for Maglite ML25 lights.

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
Try cleaning contact points and if that doesn't work send Maglite an email describing the issue. They'll fix you right up.

There are no drop in's for Maglite ML25 lights.
How do I get the led bulb out of the flashlight tube to clean the contact? It does appear a little dirty.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I mean where battery's make contact like the spring in the tailcap and point inside where the positive end of the battery touches (using a long q-tip) and the threads of the tailcap and body where they make contact.

This one does not have a bulb type of LED so you don't just remove the bulb. Now if you want to remove the assembly that consists of the switch and LED pill use a 19mm deep well socket over the LED and drive it out of the tail end with a few whacks using a small hammer to bang on the 19mm socket. To put it back use an extension in the 19mm socket and bang on that.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a maglite that went dim and I took off the tailcap and twisted the spring in the tailcap around a little and it fixed it. The connection between the steel spring and the aluminum tailcap is the culprit more often than not from what I remember someone saying on here. Wouldn't hurt to do what bykfixer and knucklegary said also-- I fully agree with them.