Maglites

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ the LED solitaire puts out an amazing amount of light.
I bought a few in alluminum color for easy spot in darkness.

But I have the urge to sharpie over the lens with an orange marker, or perhaps tan...'cause I sure do like that candle colored glow of the incan.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'd like to see a sub-forum devoted to Maglite mods. People mention all sorts of interesting sounding mods but never enough details.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ an old fav pewter and a new black one.

The old pewter one had a TerraLUX but it was swapped to the black one.
It now has a Nite Ize.

^^ Nite Ize beam aint bad.
Now my old pewter one has similar output with much better battery life. If I wanna go warm for a little while, just pull a bulb from the tail cap and stash the LED nearby.

^^ TerraLUX is much brighter.

But to get it throwing...

^^ ya gotta put up with this...

^^ for this.

Incan are $7.99 every day at sprawl mart. They come with a spare bulb in the tail cap and two in a package. 4 bulbs total. And batteries? Not bad imo.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My first D size blue mag.

Bought it for $20 to use as a bat light near the front door.
As in hold it by the globe and whack the bad guy in the face type bat.

Anyways I had an $8 Nite Ize laying around...
A whopping 55 lumens now. But the spot is 10x better now. The incan spot had a hole in the beam no matter how I focused it. Nite Ize gives it a good spot with no hole and a lot more illumination.
The xenon kit fits in the tail with the extra bulb sponge.

swampgator

Enlightened
I haven't counted all my Mags lately. Suffice to say there are more than a few. They get used routinely.

In fact I still miss the Lowe's Black Friday sales of incan Mags for $10 and LED Mags for $15...

Minimoog

Enlightened
I'm having a spot of 'Mag trouble' and would value your thoughts. My main walking light has been a 2D Mag with 8AA holder fitted, LOP reflector, UCL lens glass, 6D White Star lamp. Well this weekend I fitted one of the new bi-pin bulbs - again 6D. Result - instaflash. The old White Star bulbs never did that.

Is there a small bi-pin bulb I could fit that would take a full 9-10V or are the White Star bulbs the best bet?

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
Niteize and Terralux both make some reasonable LED dropins for Maglites, as well as the always superb Malkoff Devices ones. Relatively cheap way to turn that old incan Mag into a more modern one. When talking about the AA and AAA Maglites, I definitely prefer the older incan style over the newer and clunkier LED versions.

I've used terralux drop-ins, and they are not reliable, one started to come apart!. Now I ordered a Malkoff, and I trust it will work fine.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a small bi-pin bulb I could fit that would take a full 9-10V or are the White Star bulbs the best bet?
There are many 6 volt G4 bi-pin bulbs in market with 2000~5000 life time which will work with 8AA or 9.6 volt.
They are available in 5, 10 and 20 watts at low prices.

Minimoog

Enlightened
There are many 6 volt G4 bi-pin bulbs in market with 2000~5000 life time which will work with 8AA or 9.6 volt.
They are available in 5, 10 and 20 watts at low prices.

Thank you for this. I searched 'G4' and found what looks to be a good 10 Watt lamp - now ordered (£2.50, including postage). I was searching for completely the wrong thing.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I think £2.50 for each bulb is too high.
Try 6V G4 bulb on ebay. You may find lot of 20 bulbs for £18.00, 50 bulbs for £24.00 or....

The bulbs came today but sadly G4 does not fit. I tried to pinch the bulb wires in a little bit but the contact fractured. The holder is around 3mm between pins and the holes are fine too. A special fitment maybe, but not G4.