Sprucing up my Maglites, Recommendations, Tips, Advice sought.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Careful how you describe your intended use of a long maglite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

darkknightlight

Enlightened
CPF moderators, from what i have seen, do not like discussion of lights being used as clubs or other impact weapons. Just a heads up.

Edit: sorry, I'm sure i just came across as a know it all.

Last edited:

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't advise doing this (tape wrap), at least with a high power drop-in.

Good point. No problem with the drop-in lamp-only replacement, though. FYI, the tape is removable and leaves no stickiness or residue. I found mine at one of those Big General Family Dollar Lot stores for a buck.

The Mags have been turned into a fun learning project, instead of a little loved embarassment around here.

My first LED mod to a flashlight (lamp and lens) was on my 4D Mag-beast (all numerals serial number). It greatly improved the flashlight, and I thought I was finished, but instead I was just getting started. Fast forward 14 months, and I'm now carrying a MiniCR2 with me everywhere I go. Plus, I have an OSTS TN31mb flashlight AND a DEFT-X flashlight on order, not to mention all of the flashlights and batteries in between. Thanks in great part to CPF, it's been a great education and alot of fun along the way. Expensive, but worth every dime.

Careful how you describe your intended use of a long maglite.

I agree, and it makes sense. I know the conversations could easily get out of hand, especially with all of the different bezel and tail options. In fact, many of the flashlights available have self-defense properties, but the moderators certainly need to moderate. I guess my reason for mentioning that aspect was that since the Mag in particular already has a strong reputation for being "multi-purpose", I felt it was implied that any Mag that would be modded was done so at least partly because of its form factor. Certainly no intention of hijacking the thread or veering off into unapproved conversation.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
1 watt to 5watt

Especially

Diamond Luxeon 1w and 3w
MagLite Upgrade Bulb - 3W Luxeon III 3 Cell 5 Cell or 6 Cell
Tectite
EverLED
InReTech

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1 watt to 5watt

While it's good that you've got your bases covered in building an encyclopedic Mag drop-in library, just be aware that at some early point you're going to hit diminishing returns; none of the long-discontinued models will hold a candle to the Malkoff models (not to mention the also discontinued Mac and Elektrolumens offerings), and the time and money to get a hold of these cheaper units is probably going to be a lot more than you'd need to buy one of the quality ones, or build an insane-output hotwire. Aside from that, you're still installing whichever drop-in you end up with into a three pound metal log that's only somewhat water-resistant, and won't see nearly as much use as a pocket light that will in most cases have more output/modes/build quality/etc.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Great advice StarHalo. I recognize it's wisdom.

I plan on putting these old 1 watt and 3 watt bulbs in the butt caps as spares. I will be building one ROP.

The Malkoff and Mac and Elektrolumen are harder to come by but will probably hold their value for a long time as well, for collectors. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end. Im not worried about buyers remorse, in the least. This is relatively cheap entertainment all things considered. And these lessor LED bulb replacements will be useful when I pick up a couple of vintage flashlights.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Update:

The NiteIze 1W and TerraLux 1W TLE-1F Ministar1 bulbs came in. I did a quick test with the Mag 3D including the TerraLUX 3W TLE-6EXB. Both were pretty impressive compared to the TerraLUX 6EXB as far as output....from my inexperienced eye. I would say the 3W was not quite twice as bright, but both the 1 watters did more than I expected. They both had similar yellow fringing around the hotspot when working the focus which could be removed when the spot was brought in tight. They both had similar output as well. At first I thought the TerraLUX 1 watter was brighter than the NiteIze, but upon further back and forthing switching the bulbs, the quick and dirty estimation is that they are very similar all the way around. They even look identical in form factor and from what I can tell the LED chips are the same. Dont know about any electronics that might be behind them. These will make great back up bulbs and replacement bulbs for vintage, classic, antique flashlights....and butt cap backups for the Mags. Pretty satisfied. Ill check them in the 6C and 5D too.

If people are interested. Ill do an extensive comparison with beam shots and commentary after all the bulbs and reflectors and lenses that I can find and acquire come in.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
It's been fun reading about the range of stuff you've been exploring for your various Mags. I'm actually looking forward to some results, beamshots, and commentary, partly because it will put a lot of info into one thread. I only have one Mag, and I don't think I'll ever own two, but I'm pretty certain I'll never own none.

. . . at some early point you're going to hit diminishing returns . . .

You're exactly right - REAL early - like as soon as you replace the batteries in it! However, the "three pound metal logs" still have their place, plus they provide a great starting place for many of us to discover our inner flashaholic (How do you take yours? Flood? Spot? How much spill would you like? Modes? Battery preference? Would you like a charger with that?) I also think Mag upgrades are a great way to show others just how far flashlights have come. Put even the cheapest upgrade in an old Mag belonging to one of the unenlightened, and tell them about the extended run time, and there's a 50/50 chance you've just increased Saabluster's future sales!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Just a note. The 1W NiteIze and TerraLux bulbs have a smaller diameter and length than the TerraLUX 140 Lumen 6EXB (and 6EX). I couldnt fit the TerraLUX 6EXB in a Walmart special (yet made in USA) 2D light that I have. But these 1 watters slipped right in and worked good.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from that, you're still installing whichever drop-in you end up with into a three pound metal log that's only somewhat water-resistant, and won't see nearly as much use as a pocket light that will in most cases have more output/modes/build quality/etc.

I know that what I'm about to say is not going to be taken well on a site where Li-Ion pocket lights are worshipped and Mags are considered to be the ultimate in uncool. But a modded Mag with a good, bright drop-in (such as the Malkoff XM-L2) and full-sized NiMH batteries has REAL advantages over a Li-Ion pocket light. First off, with a modded Mag, you don't have to worry about cantankerous Li-Ion batteries which may become dangerous if overdischarged (unless that's what you're using). Not to mention that you don't need to worry so much about the absence of lower settings, since (1) runtime at 500+ lumens with 8000 mAH Tenergy Centuras is going to beat the pants off ANY 18650 at 200+ lumens and (2) you don't have to worry about powering back to prevent overheating with all that aluminum that is exposed to cool air (rather than just warm hands). Not to mention that I just find it EASIER in lots of cases to carry a larger light from an ergonomic standpoint. Small pocket lights need to be firmly gripped in the hand. A larger light (like a Mag) is simply cradled in the hand on its center of mass. For this reason, my hand doesn't get nearly as tired carrying a Mag as a pocket light (not to mention my hand doesn't get all hot and sweaty). And as I swing my arms while walking, the large Mag naturally stays level while a pocket light has to be deliberately aimed to stay level.

Of course, a pocket light has the advantage that, well, it can go in your pocket. So if I'm walking to a destination at night (like maybe the bar down the river), I don't have to worry about where to put the light when I get there. But for just walking, a larger Mag often just FEELS better. The bottom line? Smaller is not always better, and often involves compromises all of its own.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
The Craftsman Variable Power LED Upgrade came in. I did a quick and sloppy comparison with the TerraLUX 6EXB and the NiteIze 1w bulb. It is clearly a different emitter than the NiteIze and TerraLUX 1 watters, much larger physically than those 2 (which seem to be identical to this noob)....th bulb form factor is smaller than the TerraLUX 3w 6EXB, like the other 2, but also is clearly different than those two.

This bulb also showed some yellowing in defocus, but not as objectionable as the other two 1 watters. The central spot was much larger and suffered less from arificating allowing for larger defocussing before the artifacting became objectionable. As to brightness, this bulb seemed to be about on par with the other 1 watters. There was less ringing with this bulb than with the other 2 when defocussing.

I like this bulb the best out of the 3 one watters that Ive tried so far. This thing offered a very nice central spot with even illumination...which could be widened considerably more than the others (larger hotspot) whilst retaining that even illumination. It is a better flooder in the mags. The spill wasnt wider and was comparable to the other 2.

I might like this bulb in the 3D Mag (2nd Gen) better than the TerraLUX 6EXB.

Those are my first impressions. No runtime information, for example.

PS - How do I test current draw?

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Now this thread is in the incan section, and unless I've missed it no one has suggested a MAG85 mod for the 3d.

I've got one using an odd mods 9AA battery holder running eneloops, works a treat. I'm pretty sure all the parts are available, battery holders from Odd mods in the custom section, WA1185s are available in the market place. You've already sourced a glass lens and aluminium reflector so that just needs a bi-pin adapter, anyone know if there are any of those for sale on here?

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Fivemega sells his g4 magcharger slug, but it works just fine in regular c and d mags too.

Actually odd mods closed his adapter thread, so a 9aa holder would need to be sourced elsewhere. I believe FM may have some for sale

Last edited: