Sprucing up my Maglites, Recommendations, Tips, Advice sought.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
For G4 bi pin bulbs M*gCharger Ceramic Slug will work perfectly in all M*g "C" and M*g "D"

G6.35 Socket can also be used with all G4, G5.3 and G6.35 bulbs and camless reflectors.

3 AW's Protected cells will nicely fit in 3D M*g with some PVC pipe and tail spring mod. This system is much cheaper than 9AA adapters and will provide more capacity (3400mAh vs 2000mAh) compare to Eneloops, much less weight and less batteries to deal with. Not to mention easier to carry extra set of batteries.
There are also Lithium ion options for 2D, 4D, 5D, and 6D M*g solutions.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Update:

My Pelican 2 Bulb Low and High came in. Ill try it out in the 5D and 6C flashlights tonight.

My Schott Borofloat lenses came in and I changed out the 3 lights I have here from the stock variously dirty and scratched acrylic lenses in the units. Very nice!

The MagLite Warranty Service Center contacted me, and he said that he fixed my two somewhat beat up and neglected Old Original Style 6C Mags by replacing the switches. I dont know if they were new or used, but not complaining either way. The corrosion in the one barrel didnt come completely clean and he suggests I work on that some more. New rear springs in both. Cleaned up the plastic lenses as best he could, but Ill be replacing them as soon as they get back witht he Schott Borofloat lenses.

He replaced the cracked reflector in one, and put new rubber boots on the switches, and new bulbs, but he says that he is charging me for these...as per MagLite policy. I told him to pull the reflector ($12) and bulbs ($2 something a piece) as I will be putting in Aluminum MOP refelctors and my own LED bulbs anyways, and that I would pay for the rubber boots ($2 something a piece). He says that if the rubber boots were present they would be covered by MagLite under the warranty. I wish I had known this as I stripped out what was left of one in one flashlight when I was fussing about with removing the switch so as to get leverage on the corroded batteries to remove them...the other one was long gone. Overall, I must say, Im not impressed with MagLites Lifetime Warranty policies. But Im happy to have 2 operational 6C Mags coming for the price of rubber switch boots and shipping one way.

Cant wait for the Aluminum Medium Orange Peel Reflectors to get here. I heard Kaidoman uses the slow boat from China though.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
For G4 bi pin bulbs M*gCharger Ceramic Slug will work perfectly in all M*g "C" and M*g "D"

G6.35 Socket can also be used with all G4, G5.3 and G6.35 bulbs and camless reflectors.

3 AW's Protected cells will nicely fit in 3D M*g with some PVC pipe and tail spring mod. This system is much cheaper than 9AA adapters and will provide more capacity (3400mAh vs 2000mAh) compare to Eneloops, much less weight and less batteries to deal with. Not to mention easier to carry extra set of batteries.
There are also Lithium ion options for 2D, 4D, 5D, and 6D M*g solutions.

Thanks for the tips FiveMega. I might try my hand with the Ceramic G4 Slug. But Im not all that handy with electrical and mechanical stuff. I was going for the super simple drop in mods. Ill make a decision after I futz about the with the Pelican Bulbs tonight.

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Did you get the 3854 or 3853 set of bulbs? What did you decide on for your power sources for the 5d?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I got the 3854 bulb pack.

I havent decided on what to do with the batteries. So far, my only plan is your suggestion early in the thread. But I havent acquired the PVC pipe yet, and will just be trying them out with the Alkalines currently in the 6C and 5D, tonight. I need to study up on battery configurations for various MagLite sizes.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Be careful using alkalines with those bulbs; the low bulb pulls 2 amps and the hi bulb pulls 4.5. Both of those draws are well above what an alkaline can provide. I believe there is a thread in the batteries subsection that graphs alkaline battery output at that high draw; iirc its a sticky. I'd definitely check it out. Have fun!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Should I pick up Tenergy Centura C Cells or are the Premiums better (Ive read)?

Also will the 6C cells fit in the 5D Mag without any other modifications than the PVC pipe for fit? By my calculations the 6 standard C cells will be a somewhere about 1/2" shorter than 5 standard D cells.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither the Premiums nor the Centuras are better than the other. The only difference is that the Premiums are high capacity and the Centuras are LSD. So if you intend to use your light all in one straight shot (like for work), the Premiums are better. But if you intend to use the light a little at a time and want it to be ready to go at any time, the Centuras are a better bet.

Be careful using alkalines with those bulbs; the low bulb pulls 2 amps and the hi bulb pulls 4.5.

Based on my experience, with alkaline batteries, you get about the same brightness from the Mag 6D Xenon, the 3854L, and the 3854H.

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Based on my experience, with alkaline batteries, you get about the same brightness from the Mag 6D Xenon, the 3854L, and the 3854H.

Yikes! So the alkalines really won't even go above about an amp of current draw; how long did you try running the light on them?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline batteries can deliver more than an amp. They just can't produce any kind of voltage while doing so. That's why they're said to only be good for an amp. Above an amp, the voltage drops so low that they're useless. As for running the light on alkalines, I didn't do it for long. There wasn't any point. Let's just say that, when I actually got my Centuras, it was quite a revelation!
am

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Update:

So I tried the 3854 Low Bulb in the 5D Mag with Alkalines and it was about the same brightness as the Xenon Bulb that is in there now. I then put it in the 6C Mag with Alkalines and I thought I blew it, because it immediately dimmed to almost zero output before I quickly turned it off. But I put it back in the 5D and it worked as before. I just think the 6C batteries might be somewhat used as I dont know the state they are in. Ill have to put them on the battery checker that I have.

Today, I picked up Rayovac 30 Lumen 2 Cell and 40 Lumen 3-6 Cell LED PR Upgrade Bulbs (1 each) from Walmart. They would seem to be clones of the Dorcy offerings, but not sure. Ill try them out tonight. Walmart had an very large selection of Lanterns, propane, florescent, LED, and kerosene oil. They also have a very, very nice section of Outdoor Products gear! Ill be talking about the Lanterns in the Lantern forum.

I looked for NiMH rechargeable batteries at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart and Tractor Supply Co today, but they didnt have any in D or C cell sizes. Tractor Supply Co had some nice Brinkmann ArmorMax lights, 3C 375lm, 2C 155lm, 1x18650 Lithium Ion 175lm (with battery and charger) which were are similarly styled tactical lights with Hi/Lo/Off switches. I liked the stats on the 3C but dont care for the tail switch. If it had a traditionally placed switch (like on the Defiant 500) I probably would have bought it. The Defiant lacks modes, so not really interested in that one.

I paid for my rubber switch boots today ($8 and change for two) and the two 6C old style Mags are being shipped out this afternoon. The technician said that he put new switches in (not used) and that they are still making the switches in my no-letter serial number C cell flashlights. He said that they were the newer old style and not the old original old style. Shrugs.

I got an email notice from Kaidoman that the 4 MOP and 1 SMO aluminum 2 piece cam/camless relfectors that I ordered have been shipped.

Ive decided to pick up some Solarforce flashlights as P60 hosts after my Maglite project is over. I will also be picking up some vintage Rayovac and Eveready large head searchlight style flashlights and a few Brinkmann Armormax/Maxfire lights. Having a ball!

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Sticking with the 3D Mag, I tried the Rayovac 40 Lumen 3-6 Cell LED Upgrade Bulb and compared it to the NiteIze 1 Watt and the TerraLux 6EXB 3 Watt 140 Lumen bulbs. There was a significant reduction in wow factor, but the bulb did well, just shy of the 1 watters but with reduced beam quality in the hotspot and rings. But at $3.88 a peice and locally available in Brick and Mortar (Walmart) they beat the NiteIze 1/2 watter (I think it was the 1/2 watter I spotted) for 3x the price at Lowes, for value and thus make great back up bulbs.

I also suspect that these are Dorcy clones.

Im rating these for short run output and beam quality/characteristics using the stock reflector in the 3D Mag.

TerraLux 6EXB
Craftsman Variable Power 2-6 Cell
Tie NiteIze 1w 1-6 Cell & TerraLUX Ministar1 TLE-1F 2-6 Cell
Rayovac 40 Lumen 3-6 Cell

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Update:

The two serviced old style 6C Mags arrived on Wednesday. (Fast shipping). Fully operational with New switches (I asked) and new tail springs.

The Fusion 36 Warm LED showerhead flood drop in is all kinds of awesome. I wrote about it in the Budget Showerhead thread in Budget Lights Subforum. It will reside in one of the 6C Mags and replace the 5D under/beside the bed.

I also received 6 Tenergy Centura LSD C Cells and a Tenergy TN160 charger today. Still need to pick up a length of 1" PVC pipe. I think I will be putting these Tenergy LSD NiMH C Cells in all three of the C Cell Mags as well....so Ill have to pick up more.

The 3D MagLite Luxeon III bulb came in from Beamhead. Thanks for the donation and the fast shipping! Hat Tip! I wasnt too impressed with this compared to the TerraLUX 6EXB in the 3D Mag. It seemed more in line with the NiteIze and TerraLUX 1 watters. But I only looked quickly at it.

Still waiting on the Reflectors on the slow boat from China. But things are progressing nicely.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
So I have a link to Battery University that I found on CPF, but I havent studied yet. So Im just gonna ask a quick question.

I just got the Tenergy TN190 Charger and 6 Tenergy Centura C Cells. Should I throw the batteries in the charger right off an top them up, or is that a no, no? Also is this charger a smart charger or just a timed charger? I think it does have individual circuits for each battery. Thanks!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Tenergy TN190 Charger and 6 Tenergy Centura C Cells. Should I throw the batteries in the charger right off an top them up, or is that a no, no? Also is this charger a smart charger or just a timed charger? I think it does have individual circuits for each battery. Thanks!

The Tenergy TN190 is a smart charger. And it DOES have individual channels for each battery. As far as charging new batteries, I always throw them on the charger. Generally speaking, even LSD batteries are not going to be close to fully charged when they are new. So it's generally a good idea to top them off before using them.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Fired up the Pelican Hi 3584 bulb in one of the 6C flashlights with the Tenergy Centuras in there! Wow! Really lights up the night! A real thrower with the stock MagLite reflector. Ill try this with the MOP and SMO aluminum reflectors when they get here. After a couple of minutes the head of the flashlight was warming up!

I wonder how much runtime you get with 6 C Cell Tenergy Centuras with the high bulb?

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Fired up the Pelican Hi 3584 bulb in one of the 6C flashlights with the Tenergy Centuras in there! Wow! Really lights up the night! A real thrower with the stock MagLite reflector. Ill try this with the MOP and SMO aluminum reflectors when they get here. After a couple of minutes the head of the flashlight was warming up!

I wonder how much runtime you get with 6 C Cell Tenergy Centuras with the high bulb?

The hi bulb pulls just under five amps, and i believe the centuras are 5000mah, so you would probably get between 45 and 50 minutes max.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks. I think the Centura C cells are 4000mah. The Pelican 3584 Lo bulb is 2 amp draw. It isnt as impressive but better than a stock Maglite 6 cell xenon. I just put a MagLite 5 cell Xenon in the 6C Mag (with the Centuras) and it is pretty good, about on the level with the Pelican 3584 Lo bulb. I wonder what the draw is on that.