Maglites

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always the option of the Dorcy drop-ins.

My Mag 2D went from 19 to 30 lumens. While that in itself won't blow the doors off anything, it revives the old Mag 2D with battery life from 9-10 hours well past 100 hours. It would be even more with 3D's+

dvcochran

Newly Enlightened
Hello
Trying to build my posts up but am interested in your query. I have kept a 3D-cell Mag in my truck for years. I agree batteries must be replaced on a schedule if, like me, your light is not used often.
After a recent night time auto accident I was not involved in, I realized how dim my light was compared to a police officers LED light. Can my 3D Mag be upgraded to a LED or, what bulb is recommended to substantially improve the brightness and whiteness of the light? I do not really want to put a bulb for a lesser no. of batteries. Want to keep the reliability of at least some light instead of no light at all.

Thanks,

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
The search feature on this site is actually pretty good. Try key phrases like "Maglite 3D Drop-in". You will get a ton of hits as this topic has been discussed quite a bit.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hello
Trying to build my posts up but am interested in your query. I have kept a 3D-cell Mag in my truck for years. I agree batteries must be replaced on a schedule if, like me, your light is not used often.
After a recent night time auto accident I was not involved in, I realized how dim my light was compared to a police officers LED light. Can my 3D Mag be upgraded to a LED or, what bulb is recommended to substantially improve the brightness and whiteness of the light? I do not really want to put a bulb for a lesser no. of batteries. Want to keep the reliability of at least some light instead of no light at all.

Thanks,

Welcome to CPF

You can find a replacement bulb sized thingy at the check out counter area of local big box hardware stores. It's a mini LED module.

It's made by Nite Ize and costs about $9.
If you have a xenon bulb you unscrew the bulb keeper, remove bulb, slide in the nite ize module and re-fasten the keeper.

If you have the original type bulb you just pull it out and put in the module.

Will it be bright like those cop lights? No
There's are like 350+ lumens and made to be bad guy blinders.

But your beam will be noticeably whiter n brighter and your batteries will last a whole lot longer.

^^ this is what I got when installing it

^^ in this dude.

Give it a try. If you don't like it the newer LED 2D's are readily available for about $35.
Don't buy the $22 TerraLUX version...it says it has a ton more lumens, but you won't see the difference.

Now we here at CPF think differently than most, so with that said I've gotta tell ya that a Malkoff Designs LED module will make your light brighter than the cops light. If you ever decide to turbo charge your 3D look at malkoff designs website...but it's not cheap...

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a M*gCharger with a Malkoff Cree XM-L2 module in it for secondary duty use.
Cheap=no
Bright as crap and tough=yes

I do have other mags that have all been modded of sorts, nothing crazy but I always have a stocker to show and compare for friends and family and such.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've been diggin' on a slightly overdriven krypton bulb'd 4C xenon lately and use it to walk around or see "what was that?" stuff then blasting it with a Malkoff'd 3D if I aint real sure it's a friendly, or like the other night see if it was a red or silver fox.

I'm contemplating a McClicky tail cap from FiveMega for the Malkoff'd one.
Also contemplating halogen bulbs for the 4C.

Added a solitaire to the pocket light rotation.

^^ microstream clip added.

The new oversized mini mag is available in the incan version...

Also available in 3 cell version

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm having a spot of 'Mag trouble' and would value your thoughts. My main walking light has been a 2D Mag with 8AA holder fitted, LOP reflector, UCL lens glass, 6D White Star lamp. Well this weekend I fitted one of the new bi-pin bulbs - again 6D. Result - instaflash. The old White Star bulbs never did that.

Is there a small bi-pin bulb I could fit that would take a full 9-10V or are the White Star bulbs the best bet?

Have you tried a TL3 bulb? It fits with an ever-so-slight pinch of the pins... I'm talking dang near fits without the pinch.

I suppose if FiveMega didn't mention it, maybe it's because of insta-poof?

I just bought one for an enroute 3 C cell host that I'm going to use a pair of 18650's in. Tried it with 2 LifePo 18500's in a 2 cell but it was under driven. But it does fit the stock Mag bi-pin holder.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Have you tried a TL3 bulb? It fits with an ever-so-slight pinch of the pins... I'm talking dang near fits without the pinch.

I suppose if FiveMega didn't mention it, maybe it's because of insta-poof?

I just bought one for an enroute 3 C cell host that I'm going to use a pair of 18650's in. Tried it with 2 LifePo 18500's in a 2 cell but it was under driven. But it does fit the stock Mag bi-pin holder.

Thanks. We don't have the TL3 bulbs in the UK sadly - I just looked at them and they look good. I ended up taking the bi-pin holder out and using the Reflactalite 10 Watt bulb running on 6AA Eneloops. Seems bright enough, looks white with a good fat hotspot (bit like the SureFire M6 HOLA).

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
I finally found something worth trying as a replacement in the 6D which was installed just last week: a XP-G2 LED. The Maglite had one of the first LED upgrades in it, but it still wasn't all that bright at 140 lum. The XP-G2 has 240 lum and oh boy did thus make a big difference especially compared to older gen LEDs.

The XP-G2 has a super nice and strong warm, yellowish tint not unlike a piaa halogen that is incredibly strong (pretty darn good throw), a fairly small hot spot but still produced a lot of light outside the hotspot. It's also supposedly got like a billion, not really, but really long run time, which was really the purpose along with a sufficient intensity light.

I'm really impressed and would recommend as a good true upgrade for Mag, as the older LED just didn't have enough change or consider an upgrade, more a replacement.

The XP-G2 may just be 240 lum, but it seems a whole lot brighter than my modern LED 250 lum lights, like a Olight s15 or Streamlight Protac. Probably cause it's just a bigger housing.

I once again enjoy using this baby again.

RoBeacon

Enlightened
My wife keeps one under the sink not sure why when I have 20-30 lights which she has permission to use.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the life expectancy of a typical Mag-lite bulb, xenon bi-pin or the older krypton?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Does anyone know the life expectancy of a typical Mag-lite bulb, xenon bi-pin or the older krypton?

Z battery has some charts and stuff but if you feed them regular alkaline batteries the numbers are conservative.
Example: 2 cell bi-pin for mini mag is rated for x number of hours.. like 11 or something. My 1997 one still has the original bulb.
Xenons outlast the kryptons though.
I have a 4C with a 3C krypton that was supposed to poof in like 4 hours but it has (so far) outlasted 2 sets of batteries (about 15 hours so far).

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Anyone using Maglites anymore? I have a couple in the car for emergency purposes, but not sure of the draw rate on the batteries vs perhaps having a Lenslight or other higher-end flashlight on standby.

I have nine, 4 years ago I upgraded them to LED&rechargeable AA batteries, with the exception of the Mini Pro(top) and the ML25 which were all ready LED.
After 25 years I just got tired of leaked batteries and that black hole In the spot......I still loved my Maggies
SOOooooo.
7c4874a7-cf58-455f-b021-4e7263673ee4_zpso9hh5h5i.jpg

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The number of Maglites available on retail shelves has taken another dramatic drop in my neck of the woods. Canadian Tire has dropped them completely, Lowes and Home Despot have a handful of offerings at ridiculous high pricings. Walmart has zero but some online, Home Hardware has zero but some online. Anyone else in Canada noticing this?