Make Your SL-20X Un-Suck – KILLER Mod!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to say officially that this work done by Jim is first-rate. Jim considers, ponders and then solves problems that not only didn't I see, but didn't even know existed. Major kudos to an engineering job well done, and done creatively!

:rock:

On minimum setting, I estimate the SL-60 puts out maybe 20-30 lumens or so. This is completely subjective on my part, but will give you a good ballpark. At least you know you're not getting L4 output on min (too much) and you're not getting Arc AAA output (too little) either. You can definitely use it for upclose work without blinding or glare problems. Is it lower color temp? Yes, but in a "major throttling back of a powerful monster" kind of way, instead of an "weak, decrepit orange my light sucks" kind of way.

The FELO = Fair & Equal Lumens Ogre :grin2:

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this bulb and reflector work in an old SL-20 or just the SL-20X?
I think the bezels and lamp assemblies are the same.

I'm looking to breathe new life into an old light and this is just the ticket.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
NotRegulated said:
Will this bulb and reflector work in an old SL-20 or just the SL-20X?
I think the bezels and lamp assemblies are the same.

I'm looking to breathe new life into an old light and this is just the ticket.

NotRegulated,

I don't know, but I suspect that if the lamps and bezels are the same that, yes, it would have to work. But I can always put it back on the lathe again and trim it a little if it doesn't (free of charge). Or you can send me your whole light to begin with just to be sure. I've never seen (or even heard of until now) an SL-20. Interesting. What actually IS the difference, anyway?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. One day late, but here are the pictures! First I have a pic of the modded 1940 with WA1160 ring-potted lamp installed next to a head-on view of the SL-20X head with fit o-ring installed. Notice that it is pushed down at the top and bottom and catarpillars out towards the camera at the left and right, sort of like the peremiter of a lays potato chip. The 1940 is modded more or less the same as for the TL head except that I don't have to touch the rim, and I remove more thickness from the outside of the nub/bore. Note that the inside is NOT touched, nor is any LENGTH removed from the reflector. This is necessary in order to allow use of my ring-potted lamps.

sl60_1.jpg

Next is a picture of the old and new tail caps. The new, dimmer/flasher cap is on the right in front of the package in which it came.

sl60_2.jpg

And here is a not so good picture of the inside of the dimmer cap (with spring removed). It was hard to light it without getting either glare or shadows. I chose some glare. It was lit by my USL, by the way. hehe. :devil:

sl60_3.jpg

As for the (so-called) charging system of the SL-20X and 35X, I really don't feel like going over how lousy it is right now. So I won't.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Oh, and Phaserburn, thanks so much for the kudos! I don't deserve such high praise. Really. Just doing my part to spread the lumens. But thanks!

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
NotRegulated,

I don't know, but I suspect that if the lamps and bezels are the same that, yes, it would have to work. But I can always put it back on the lathe again and trim it a little if it doesn't (free of charge). Or you can send me your whole light to begin with just to be sure. I've never seen (or even heard of until now) an SL-20. Interesting. What actually IS the difference, anyway?

Jim,
Streamlight's SL-20X was preceded by the SL-20 model. I bought mine in 1982. It's pretty banged up with nicks, gouges and scratches but it works perfect. It has a different on/off switch than the 20X but the switch is in the same location.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone point me to a source for the 4k mah battery packs, or higher capacity 1/2 D cells from which to make one?

Thanks,

-john

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

There aren't any. Ginseng is working on a group buy in the Group Buy forum, but it's been delayed several times, since the distributor had to change manufacturers.

Bill

Newly Enlightened
SL20x & SL20 use the same lamp assemblies and battery packs. The SL-20 swith was a push down for monentary, and slide forward for continous. It's charger had a piece of double sided circuit board that slid into the slot at the rear of the switch under the movable part.

SL20X left, SL-20 Right

Very nice upgrade JS.

lastdefender

Newly Enlightened
Jim,

Do you have any beam shots of an SL-20X before and after the modification? Also, if I were to send you my SL-20X along with the tail cap you mention, how much would it cost and how long would it take to modify my light?

Thanks,
Gary

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
lastdefender said:
Jim,

Do you have any beam shots of an SL-20X before and after the modification? Also, if I were to send you my SL-20X along with the tail cap you mention, how much would it cost and how long would it take to modify my light?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

You don't need to send me your SL-20X. The "mod" is a straight drop-in lamp assembly. The tailcap is a standard StreamLight product. It just screws in place, and the new LA just drops in place. Plus the UCL just replaces the stock lexan lens. No modding necessary. I don't sell either the UCL or the dimmer/flasher tailcap. www.flashlightlens.com sells the UCL, and www.brightguy.com (among others) sells the dimmer cap. I only sell the 1160 ring-potted lamps and reflectors, and only for as long as my current stock lasts. I won't be ordering more reflectors or 1160's. All I will be doing is potting the rest of the lamps I have into fixture-rings.

Right now, all the ring-potted 1160 lamps I had made up are spoken for, so it will be a couple weeks before I have time to do some more, probably. Check out the link above for the ring-potted lamps thread for more info.

lastdefender

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I am awaiting a new SL-35x lamp for my SL-20X light. From what I have read, I should see a noticeable improvement. I guess time will tell.

Regards,
Gary

snugs4911

Newly Enlightened
Jim,

Do you still have the drop in mod available for the SL20X? It seems I'm a few years behind the curve in terms of upgrading my trusty old light.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see this topic revived. I have been a long-time user of the SL20/SL20X Flashlight with standard lamp and many years using the SL-35X lamp for more output at the expense of battery life. For the last year and a half or so I have been using JS's SL60 lamp. I like it better than either of the stock offerings. It's got better throw and is brighter than stock. If you already have a SL-20X you use regularly look into this upgrade.